Author Topic: Drawbacks of running on sidewalks and raison d'être of school zones  (Read 9063 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Drawbacks of running on sidewalks and raison d'être of school zones
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 10:12:01 AM »
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 11:05:01 AM »
Street vs Sidewalks
1. As has been mentioned, blacktop is much easier on the runner than concrete.
2. Most of my running has been done in the wee hours of the morning, before sunrise.  Even with street lights, many of the surface irregularities common on sidewalks are difficult to discern before you end up sprawled out & bleeding. 
3. Whenever I run in the dark, at the very least I will don a white t-shirt. 
4. Whenever I ride my bike in the dark, I am a regular carnival of reflectors & blinking lights.

School Zones
Live diagonally across the street from a school.  Lots of kids walk to school, so there are lots of the buggers about at start/let out times.  Also, lots of evening functions, so the kiddos can be seen leaving up until evening time.  There is a 4-way stop intersection, but some folks manage to miss the entire school, the stop signs, the signs with flashy lights, and the reflective graphics affixed to the street.  Just blow on through if no kids are in the cross walk or skid to a stop. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 11:22:11 AM »
4. Whenever I ride my bike in the dark, I am a regular carnival of reflectors & blinking lights.

Thread veer related to biking and blinky lights...

I read an article recently, that I can't find at the moment, that indicated blinky lights actually work against the cyclist by drawing motorists TO them.  I haven't started using my tail lights on steady mode, but that's mainly because I haven't done much night cycling recently.

Chris

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 01:25:03 PM »
I read an article recently, that I can't find at the moment, that indicated blinky lights actually work against the cyclist by drawing motorists TO them.  I haven't started using my tail lights on steady mode, but that's mainly because I haven't done much night cycling recently.
That reminds me of a quote from Neal Stephenson's Zodiac.  The main character discusses his personal theory of safely riding a bike at night: dress in all black with no reflectors, then pretend there is a million dollar award to the first car to run you down.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 02:08:46 PM »

Chris

OK, may turn them to constant on.  Or replace them with frickin' laser beams.  No middle-way, ill-tempered sea bass for me, no sirree!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zahc

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 03:18:36 PM »

Chris

It stands to reason. When i used to ride dirt bikes I learned that the surest way to hit a big rock or tree was to look at it. The secret to not hitting it is to look where you want to go.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 03:42:54 PM »
Concrete is the worst possible surface to run on. Sidewalks are the worst type of concrete to run on. I walk (not run) to the bus every work day, and I do it in the road not the sidewalk. But that's in a sleepy residential neighborhood. The most annoying part for me is the sloped driveways. 10 feet of flat and level, 10 feet of one leg landing 3 inches lower than the other. Ridiculous.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2013, 03:51:59 PM »

Chris

I ever tell you about almost hitting a guy on a huffy/pacific/whatever on my morning commute in Utah?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 04:08:46 PM »

Chris

I'd be interested in reading that since I commute by bike and ride at night sometimes.  The bike I normally commute on has two blinkys and lots of reflective tape, I've got a third blinky on my Camelback and more tape on my helmet, along with a reflective jacket. 

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2013, 04:32:09 PM »
I don't wear shoes, and I don't believe in any of the 'running ground should have give' theories. 

Barefoot?  Or some kind of "minimalist" shoe?
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2013, 04:51:49 PM »
How can asphalt be softer than concrete for runners? Cars, which have a much higher weight per square inch than runners, aren't leaving depressions in the asphalt.  Nor are cyclists.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2013, 04:57:29 PM »
RE: Running on concrete vs asphalt
Time for the super geek to come out of me.

Now get this ... there are infinite different types of concrete. It has to do with the mixture with determines the strength (measured in pounds per square inch or psi). There are many types of concrete because of the different applications, in buildings, as sidewalks, used in planters or parking lot bumpers, etc. Asphalt is different in that is is only used for roads, so it's basically residential road, commercial road (high use) or highway. The asphalt on maple drive can be softer than on main street, and main street can be softer than the interstate. Asphalt (400-600 psi) is "softer" than concrete (typically 3000 psi) meaning that it takes compression and then expands back to its original state. Concrete sidewalks and paths are the "softest" concrete to run on, about 3000 or 4000 psi.

Worst concrete substance to run on: Airstrip, typically 8000 - 10000 psi.

This message brought to you by Bill Nye the Science guy.

From...    http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/runner-communities/beginners/running-concrete-vs-asphalt

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2013, 05:11:32 PM »
How can asphalt be softer than concrete for runners? Cars, which have a much higher weight per square inch than runners, aren't leaving depressions in the asphalt.  Nor are cyclists.
I still doubt this too, but everyone seems to think it is true.  The human body is putting ... what ... maybe 10-20PSI max on a given location when running?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2013, 05:13:06 PM »
in Reno, lots of kids walking to school.
They are pretty dumb.
I have to drive 10 mph in the 25mph school zone to avoid them.

Runners? looks like the answers have been provided.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2013, 06:28:41 PM »
I still doubt this too, but everyone seems to think it is true.  The human body is putting ... what ... maybe 10-20PSI max on a given location when running?

Here's a crazy idea. Try running on asphalt, then try running on concrete.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2013, 06:34:26 PM »
Here's a crazy idea. Try running on asphalt, then try running on concrete.

False experiment.

To a non-runner, running is gonna hurt no matter what.

He'd have to get in shape to the point where repeated stress impact of 3+ mile runs aren't a problem in the first place.  Then spend a week running every other day on asphalt-only surfaces, and then a week running every other day on concrete-only surfaces.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2013, 06:39:16 PM »
Dude, it's a person asking question on an internet forum for his own edification, not an experiement to be published in a peer reviewed journal. I think we can skimp on the rigor just this once.  ;/

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2013, 06:44:40 PM »
Dude, it's a person asking question on an internet forum for his own edification, not an experiement to be published in a peer reviewed journal. I think we can skimp on the rigor just this once.  ;/

Never skimp on the rigor.   =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2013, 06:56:57 PM »
Never skimp on the rigor.   =D

Exactly. But the rigor can be morticed.

The running test would have to be a double blind study.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2013, 07:06:01 PM »
Exactly. But the rigor can be morticed.

The running test would have to be a double blind study.

But how can they run if they can't see where they're going?  ???

=D
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2013, 07:08:04 PM »
So how do you runners feel about running on 100+ year old brick streets? my town still has some of that.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2013, 07:41:36 PM »

Uhhh... Asphalt has tar. Concrete is dried out hard stuff. The tar makes it a more flexible substance, which can withstand more impact.

Ever been on fresh laid asphalt? When I was a kid, they repaved part of the parking lot of a local school one summer. We had fun. It's bouncy. =)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

brimic

• friends
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2013, 08:52:13 PM »
I don't wear shoes, and I don't believe in any of the 'running ground should have give' theories.

Yes.
In a different lifetime and 100 lbs ago I ran long distance events in Track. (Mile, 2mile)
The tracks we ran on were asphalt or rubber, or we ran on country roads (not sidewalks). Shoes typically had to be fit the mechanics of your feet and had to be replaced often.
Running in running shoes with their squishiness allows you to run with a longer (and unnatural) stride that you can't maintain barefoot or with 'racing flats'. This longer stride is a lot harder on the knees and can lead to all kinds of problems on harder surfaces.
Counterintuitively, wearing 'minimal' shoes or barefoot, your body will run at its correct stride and your feet will roll correctly which will protect your joints- though you won't be able to run as fast for a sustained distance.*

*sprinters wear thin flat soled shoes.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2013, 10:28:49 PM »
I'm a firm believer that blink lights makes the driver toward you or confuses them.
About 10 years ago I almost hit a stopped state trooper in the left lane of rt 78. I was doing full speed (65-70) It was late (10pm)and dark. I thought he was on the right shoulder just prior so I actually moved to the left lane from the middle. Thank god no one took over that space that I had vacated in the middle lane. I swerved and missed that cruiser by inches. Full speed no breaks.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2013, 11:49:41 PM »
Just theorizing here re: the school zones:

The school zone guides are set by the school district or state.  In order to make it easier for the schools & less confusing for the rabble, all schools in the district/state are treated the same regardless of location.  Can't have a "school zone" for one school and not for another.  Can you imagine the reaction of the parents around the school that didn't have the "school zone"?  They'd be screaming about how the school didn't care about their kids - or they'd have the zone just like the other one!

And, as said earlier, it's a money maker.