Author Topic: Shots fired from world's first 3D-printed gun  (Read 9069 times)

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Shots fired from world's first 3D-printed gun
« on: May 06, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/05/06/shots-fired-from-world-first-3d-printed-gun/

First 3d fun was test fired in Texas. Blueprints were uploaded to the net. Libtards are wetting their panties.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Shots fired from world's first 3D-printed gun
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 05:00:06 PM »
Blueprints aren't on Defense Distributed yet... at least not in their big zip-ball-o-fun.

Copy this ZIP far and wide once it is available. 

I suspect a DDoS attack against their server will come from certain disapproving government and non-governmental agencies.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

erictank

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 05:09:49 PM »
Blueprints aren't on Defense Distributed yet... at least not in their big zip-ball-o-fun.

Copy this ZIP far and wide once it is available. 

I suspect a DDoS attack against their server will come from certain disapproving government and non-governmental agencies.

DefDist download page: http://defcad.org/ Haz AR mags and mag couplers, printed (and reinforced) receiver files, the Liberator pistol, the Mega Pack (which IIRC includes the amusingly-named Feinstein normal-cap AK mag)... Warning - seems like there's a possibility of "constructive possession" charges, since they include NFA files.

Liberator Pistol direct download link: http://defcad.org/wp-content/download.php?id=193

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 06:37:14 PM »
Makes me grin.

Once it's on the internet, it's not coming off.

And 3D printing is just too useful to go away, it'll only get cheaper.  The cat is out of the bag on this one.

I kind of take for granted my machining skills.  I could make a functioning firearm in about 35 min, but some people couldn't.  This brings that skill set to an order of magnitude more people.

=D =D =D

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 06:47:10 PM »
Site is down.

Back up.

Must be heavy traffic.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 07:39:55 PM »
New York Senator Charlie Schumer is on a tear about this -- wanting to ban 3D printed guns.  I don't know how he intend to do it.
Listening to him prattle is ....PAINFUL. :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 07:43:58 PM »
And Staples has just announced that they will begin selling home 3-D printers. Price (IIRC) will be under $1500. The one I saw in the announcement isn't large enough to handle an AR-15 but it might possibly handle a small handgun.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 07:57:29 PM »
And Staples has just announced that they will begin selling home 3-D printers. Price (IIRC) will be under $1500. The one I saw in the announcement isn't large enough to handle an AR-15 but it might possibly handle a small handgun.

AR lower in two pieces bolted together with some flat stock.......

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 08:45:08 PM »
OMG plastic guns! the children the children!!! >:D [popcorn]
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 10:17:11 PM »
AR lower in two pieces bolted together with some flat stock.......

Yeah, but what about a complete AR-15? This dinky little pistol is NOT the first 3-D printed firearm. There was a video on the Internet several weeks ago of a guy test firing a 3-D printed AR-15. IIRC it survived only one or three shots, but it did fire. Word was that he has since made a new one that stood up to firing a full magazine.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 10:31:44 PM »
Heh.  My token liberal friend brought this up today.  He noted that he thought we would probably end up with some kind or registering scheme for 3D printers, so the gov't could know who has the capabilities of making these. 

I pointed out that I'm a machinist, with a machine shop; that I can and have made robust, metal firearms before; yet I need no license to own a mill?  "But, machine tools are commercial equipment.  This is consumer grade equipment."  Umm, okay - so consumer grade equipment needs to be regulated but commercial grade equipment does not? 
[popcorn]

I should have brought up "Why do you hate poor people who can't afford commercial grade tooling and the education to use it?"

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 11:11:32 PM »
Yeah, but what about a complete AR-15? This dinky little pistol is NOT the first 3-D printed firearm. There was a video on the Internet several weeks ago of a guy test firing a 3-D printed AR-15. IIRC it survived only one or three shots, but it did fire. Word was that he has since made a new one that stood up to firing a full magazine.

You miss the point

The AR was not entirely 3d printed

It was just a lower

This is almost entirely printed including the barrel
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 11:17:26 PM »

I'm guessing you saw video of the same outfit, but they were using a printed lower, completed with off-the-shelf parts. The last I heard, they were up to 600 rounds with their latest lower design.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 01:25:43 AM »

I'm guessing you saw video of the same outfit, but they were using a printed lower, completed with off-the-shelf parts. The last I heard, they were up to 600 rounds with their latest lower design.

If they are that far then it's on par with a cav arms or plum crazy lower.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 05:11:49 AM »
You can cement, weld, or bond ABS and other plastics together with 100% of the strength of a molded part, no need to bolt them. It is common to print things in pieces and bond them together, in some cases it is necessary because of overhangs.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 08:29:43 AM »
So is this Liberator a smooth bore, or can you program rifling into the barrel?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 09:38:51 AM »
So is this Liberator a smooth bore, or can you program rifling into the barrel?

If it's a smoothbore, why not program a smaller bore and then rifle it using conventional rifling techniques?

Chris

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 10:18:40 AM »
If it's a smoothbore, why not program a smaller bore and then rifle it using conventional rifling techniques?

Chris

Or order a barrel-liner sleeve to put in the plastic shaft that is the barrel?

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-blanks-tools/barrel-liners/22-caliber-rimfire-barrel-liners-prod10974.aspx

32 inch .22LR barrel liner.  Cut it to desired length, increase the barrel length of the printed product and the diameter of the bore so you can fit this into it, and now you've got some metal to help contain that explosion a little bit better than plastic.  And rifling.
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 10:27:35 AM »
--Lysander Spooner

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 09:12:18 PM »
somewhere i was reading that a piece of brakeline can be used to fire .22lr.    rated to 10,000 psi?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 09:34:16 PM »
The "barrel" is just a reinforced chamber that ends at the end of the case. I am not sure if the ATF considers that smooth bore or not.

You can have a 3D printer do polygonal barrels pretty easily.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 11:27:07 PM »
The "barrel" is just a reinforced chamber that ends at the end of the case. I am not sure if the ATF considers that smooth bore or not.

You can have a 3D printer do polygonal barrels pretty easily.

Nothing in the NFA says the rifling has to twist either.  =D

Although Tech Branch decisions aren't worth the paper they're printed on. And so far I haven't found one on straight rifling. (Although the operative text of the NFA is more often "smooth bore" than it is "rifling" anyway...) And of course a Tech Branch determination is only good until it isn't anymore.  :P
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:54:41 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Blakenzy

• friend
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 01:10:01 AM »
My idea is to forego the cartridge, and make a 5-shot electrically fired muzzleloader "pepperbox" similar in form to the HK P11 for frogmen/SEAL-types.

Momentary switch for the trigger, (can be all printed too...) http://www.amazon.com/Printer-1-75mm-Conductive-Filament-2-2lbs/dp/B00AF2L0W0 And the only non-printed bits would be a 9V battery, some small nichrome wire inserts, and some sort of simple IC that will activate/close circuit 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, in order. (still thinking about a ratchet, teeth, or other mech or something that can switch barrel firing contacts with all printable parts.) The safety is something that mechanically interrupts the circuits to the nichrome.

Mainly this design saves on the need for a breech, and you can maximize the strength of the polymer better with fewer parts, and done right, it could be a more "monolithic print job". Less assembly etc. And if/when printable bullets and propellant are possible, (extruded nitrocellulose, and high density polymer bullet?) you could even one day print new loaded barrel assemblies.

Maybe even get stacked charges "metalstorm-style" eventually.
I promise not to duck.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 03:23:14 PM »
Looks like they're trying to shut it down using ITAR:

http://reason.com/blog/2013/05/09/state-department-cracks-down-on-3d-weapo

Revdisk: Any idea if the State Department has a case?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth