Author Topic: Daisy Red Ryder Range report and a surprise find  (Read 1214 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Daisy Red Ryder Range report and a surprise find
« on: January 27, 2007, 08:29:29 AM »
As promised: grin

Last Wednesday I finally got a chance to take the kiddo out to shoot the Red Ryder she got for Christmas. Picked her up after school and headed up one of the arroyos leading to the high mesa just outside of town.

The particulars:

Daisy Red Ryder

Lever action
.177 BB (we used Crossman Copperheads)
350 FPS?
Blued steel, wood stocks
650 round capacity  shocked

Targets:

pop cans and 1 sports drink jug

I took the inaugural first shots to make sure it was sighted in properly. It wasn't, it was shooting a bit low. A couple of adjustments later, it was hitting dead on at 20 feet.

Kiddo ended up averaging 8 hits out of every ten shots. The pop cans were perforated through and through, though the BB's failed to penetrate both sides of the sports jug, coming to rest inside.

With the cans properly ventilated, kiddo got kinda bored (she's used to the sound and smell of her Buckmark, I would bet), and asked if we could explore a bit. Now we have been to this particular spot umpteen times, but I decided to indulge her in the spirit of the day.

After kicking around a bit, she announced that she had found a "dinosaur tooth". When we are out and about, any remotely tooth shaped item is a "dinosaur tooth" and any remotely triangular shape is "an arrowhead". Wonder where she got her fascination with arrowheads and fossil teeth? angel

With a twinge of skepticism I looked at her "dinosaur tooth". Well, I'll be durned, that looks very organic and animal-like to me!

I don't know the term for it, but it has that concave, peened kind of look to it on the "back" end, (presumably where another bone attaches) the front part is curved like a claw, but it's a slow curve (not like the radical curve of, say, a cat's claw) and the tip appears to have been broken off and worn down. It does have a few little black specks on it here and there, but is otherwise a greyish-white color.

I am going to try and find someone here at work or over on campus to look at it on Monday.

No matter what it turns out to be, it was a fun afternoon!

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Re: Daisy Red Ryder Range report and a surprise find
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 08:56:16 AM »
Sounds like a good day! Could you possibly post a pic of the item?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 09:02:12 AM »

Could you possibly post a pic of the item?

+1!

BRad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 09:16:33 AM »
Why bother?  It was just placed there by Satan to mislead the weak of faith...  grin

Just kidding, oh please people don't go there!

I'd like to see the tooth too.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 09:26:05 AM »
garyk, you do contract archaeology, don't you? PM sent your way, I believe you work right around the corner from me...

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 09:27:24 AM »
I can attempt to get a few shots of it tonight with the camera on my cell phone; I'll post them tomorrow (granted the pics won't be very good).

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 09:30:23 AM »

garyk, you do contract archaeology, don't you? PM sent your way, I believe you work right around the corner from me...

If you guys go on an "expidition" I better get an invite.  I only live five hours away, you know!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 09:32:31 AM »
Don't forget your bullwhips...
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 09:54:22 AM »
When I was a kid in NC, I dug up a 2" fossilized shark's tooth.  Unfortunately, a few years later, I dropped it on a tile floor and it shattered.

Chris

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 10:22:02 AM »
Don't forget your bullwhips...
Bullwhips my ass. Hardhat and a .38!
Got your pm Gris. See you Monday.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 10:41:45 AM »
That is the part of childhood I miss, I grew up in an area just lousy with crinoids and bivalve fossils. I was pilfering through a box of stuff my parent brought to me and I found a oleo container full of crinoid pieces that I found in my neighbor's gravel driveway when I was 10 or so.

I would like to see the tooth also.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 01:03:14 PM »
When I was a kid in NC, I dug up a 2" fossilized shark's tooth.  Unfortunately, a few years later, I dropped it on a tile floor and it shattered.

Chris

Ouch. I would have been in tears.

Back when I drove a rock bucket, I would always ask whomever owned the sand pit I happened to be working if I could poke around looking for fossils. I could usually wangle permission to do some target shooting, too.

I've found all kinds of stuff, unfortunately though, my ex-stepdad got rid of it all when my folks got divorced.  angry

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 06:37:31 AM »
Well ratspit.

I have taken a number of photos, but can't upload them to "Pix Place", Verizon wireless' photo bucket. Not sure what the problem is but I am sick of fooling with it.

Garyk and co. are going to take a look at it tomorrow, if it turns out to be the real deal I'll borrow a digital camera and upload the pics conventionally.

Sorry.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 08:26:51 AM »
Double ratspit.

Turns out it was just sandstone.

Thanks to Gary and co. for taking the time to look at it!

I did get to hold and examine a stone tool, though. Cool stuff!

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 01:45:50 PM »
Turns out it was just sandstone.
But a really cool piece of sandstone! I can see how anyone would mistake it for bone.
Oh well, maybe next time!