Author Topic: dashboard light "rear anti lock brake"....what does that mean?  (Read 11185 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
dashboard light "rear anti lock brake"....what does that mean?
« on: January 10, 2007, 05:32:06 AM »
dashboard light "rear anti lock brake"....what does that mean?
As a nu yawka, the only thing I learned about cars is tipping the
Taxi Driver.
So this light, rear anti lock brake is lit up, and rear flashers
dont work...I just changed the little round thing under the dash
to fix the front flashers but it didn't help the rear.
Did changing the little round thing make the rear anti lock brake
light up?

Does this mean I've got to invest more money that I don't have into the truck?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: dashboard light "rear anti lock brake"....what does that mean?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 05:38:50 AM »
Unless I miss my guess, there's some sort of fault in the system that requires checking.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 05:51:26 AM »
If I recall correctly, it means that the anti-lock braking system has failed, which means that the rear brakes should still work, but they're no longer "anti-lock" brakes; they're just bog-standard brakes.  The car is safe enough to drive to a repair place, probably, but Mike's right; you need to have it checked.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 09:43:07 AM »
Step one - Check the fuse to the ABS system.

If that doesn't work, try...

Step Two - Clean off the ABS sensors and make sure a wire hasn't broken or been pulled lose.

ABS sensors are easy to replace.  Usually it's a single electrical connector and the sensor can be spun out with a wrench.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 11:59:12 AM »
Explanation with a small amount of cynicism.

It means you pay $150 for the mechanic to hook up his computer to your car's computer so he can find out you have an intermittent but undefined fault that might be related to your rear ABS system, or not. He can reset the fault as part of the $150, but it may or may not come back.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Zed

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 12:11:14 PM »
Probably a Blown ABS Fuse, start with that First.
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

client32

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 02:02:47 PM »
What type of vehicle is this?

You might be able to grab the code yourself, and then you will know which sensor failed (which is in my experience is the probable cause).

As for the flashers, it will depend on the vehicle, but it could be the bulbs in the tail-lights.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 03:53:37 PM »
The ABS light went on in my Nissan truck about 6 years ago. I took it to a Nissan dealership, they looked at it and told me its a $1500 fix and advised me to just drive it the way it is unless I just had to have rear antilock breaks on my pickup. I've been driving it since without a problem.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

client32

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 05:29:19 PM »
My light is one right now too.  I am supposed to be able to ground one of the pins on the computer read out thingy and count the number of flashes.  Most likely the speed sensor for me.  About $100 for a new one.  I haven't bothered with it.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 06:50:53 PM »
it is a 90 ford ranger xlt 2wd.
The light wasn't on this morning....thanks!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 07:27:02 PM »
mine's been on 3 years  about a 100 k miles so far