Author Topic: Schwarzenegger Endorses Union Dues Measure  (Read 2050 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Schwarzenegger Endorses Union Dues Measure
« on: September 18, 2005, 08:42:26 AM »
I still generally look at Arnold as a RINO, but have to give him credit where due, and a thumbs up for this. The crackup is that the guy they got the "anti" quote from is the STATE TREASURER. You know -- the guy who is elected because he handles money ethically and responsibly???

edited because I can't spell Schwarzenegger
edited again because I had too much coffee this morning
---------------------------------
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/18/D8CMJ4187.html

ANAHEIM, Calif.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger endorsed a ballot measure requiring public employee unions to get written permission before using member dues money for political purposes.

Democrats viewed the endorsement Saturday at the state Republican Party convention as an attack because Democratic political candidates are the principal beneficiaries of labor union contributions.

The measure, dubbed "Paycheck Protection," will appear on the ballot as Proposition 75. It was funded by advisers to Schwarzenegger but had not previously been part of his "year of reform" agenda.

"Public employee union members should not be forced to contribute to causes, candidates and controversial issues that they don't believe in," Schwarzenegger said. "That isn't a contribution, it's a tax."

Republicans have tried for years to pass such measures in California and elsewhere, arguing that unions unfairly take dues from the paychecks of rank-and-file members _ many of them Republicans _ and contribute the money mainly to Democratic candidates and causes. To demonstrate the point, Proposition 75 campaign officials produced several unionized public employees who said they support the initiative.

Democrats said the goal of the Republicans is to muzzle the state's labor movement, not protect Republican-leaning workers.

"Proposition 75 is the crown jewel of the Bush-Schwarzenegger agenda," said State Treasurer Phil Angelides, who is running for the Democratic nomination to challenge Schwarzenegger next year. "It's what they're after. Everything else is a mask."

Schwarzenegger, who announced Friday that he would seek a second term, has seen his popularity tumble in recent months amid criticism from union activists who have spent millions of dollars on television advertising to discredit his "reform" agenda.

The governor spent most of his convention speech pleaing for help in passing his three other major initiatives _ extending the probationary period for teachers from two years to five, capping state spending and stripping lawmakers of the power to draw their own political boundaries.

"The fact is that the employee union bosses have simply too much power over the budget, too much power over their members' paycheck and too much power over our state," Schwarzenegger said, drawing loud applause.

In 1998, California voters rejected Proposition 226, a similar union dues measure backed by then-Gov. Pete Wilson.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 12:25:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure that federal law already covered this one.  My understanding is that my Union can't use dues for these purposes, instead that's why we have a voluntary PAC.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 07:05:21 PM »
Even the blind squirrel occasionally stumbles upon a nut.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 05:21:58 AM »
Unions=Power of the Collective. Can't get much more anti American than that. They all ought to be banned! %^$#@& Unions.

It should be obvious that I'm not a big fan of unions. I cross their stupid picket lines every chance I get (which in OK isn't all that often cause we're not that big on unions here).

Unions spit in the face of individual performance. When much younger I shoveled coal into a furnace at a steel mill during one summer while at college. Being young and naive and wanting to do a good job my shovel started out full. The local union thug in charge explained to me after that first shovel full the difference between a union shovel (about 1/2 full) and a factory shovel. I've had a dim view of unions ever since.

Then there was the time when I was in the Army. 1973, norther Germany. about a quarter million troops from the USA, Germany, UK, Holland and France on a massive wargame. Lasted 3 weeks 24 hours a day except the exercise came to a screeching halt on Friday at 5PM and didn't resume 'till Monday at 8AM - why? The Dutch Army was unionized and didn't work weekends - GOD what a joke they were.

Having always been in management since leaving the military my experience with unions makes me dislike them even more.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 05:30:41 AM »
The good news about unions is that they are decreasing rapidly in significance in the overall workforce.
The bad news is that the government unions are the only ones growing.

I agree with Werewolf that unions are un-American, counterproductive, and generally there just to provide the big wigs with a good living.
I also agree with JamisJockey that there is a Supreme Court ruling on this, one that has been flagrantly ignored by Justice dept.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 05:45:59 AM »
One of the reasons I was happy to see this ruling is because I was in a County public employees union many years ago. It was required for the blue collar employees to be in it, but the white collar employees had an option. I was a blue colllar guy.

I used to see exactly what this measure prevents happen on a daily basis. Easily 80% of the union members were politically oriented at the opposite spectrum of the union. major exceptions included the union steward and the laziest workers in our group, who would frequently use the union to file grievances for the stupidest things. Often the complaint being rectified involved said employee getting a pat on the head and lighter duties, and those of us who were keeping our mouths shut and just doing our work, getting extra duties to make up for it.

Probably the number one complaint by all of us was that every election period, a union rep would show up with a "this is how you have to vote" practice ballot, with all the "proper" names checked off. It was generally a good guide for who NOT to vote for... Cheesy
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 12:26:22 AM »
Is it really in the interest of freedom that the government have the authority to tell a private organization what they can and cannot do with their money?

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 04:44:48 AM »
Quote from: c_yeager
Is it really in the interest of freedom that the government have the authority to tell a private organization what they can and cannot do with their money?
In this case, yes.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 05:01:01 AM »
In non-right to work states I'd have to agree with Rabbi and say yes. In those states if you want to work in a unionized workplace you must join the union and pay dues. If the union is unwilling to take it's members wishes into account and not use their money for causes they don't support then the government must step in.

The courts ruled ages ago that union must provide an option for an individual member's dues to be or not to be used for political causes. Unfortunately many ignored the rulings.

Sometimes the government must step in - especially so if it is in the name of liberty.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online