Author Topic: Suit Shopping  (Read 5221 times)

bratch

• friend
Suit Shopping
« on: September 18, 2005, 12:37:19 PM »
Its time to retire my one and only suit and by a new one for interview season.

Who sells decent suits at a reasonable price?

Dannyboy

• friend
Suit Shopping
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 01:23:20 PM »
Depends on what you consider decent and reasonable.  If you know your size, check out Overstock.com.  Lots of stuff from about $150 up to $1000+.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Suit Shopping
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 03:55:25 PM »
OK, the guy's commercials are a bit hokey, but try Men's Wearhouse. They really are as good as the owner says they are. At least the ones around here are.

As Dannyboy says, it depends on what you call reasonable. There are discount places where you can get a cheap suit, but everyone will know you bought a cheap suit. Quality goes down in relation to price after a certain point.

bratch

• friend
Suit Shopping
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 04:11:00 PM »
I'm looking at spending a couple hundred probably.

I'll be interviewing for entry level engineering positions after graduation in the petroleum industry if that indicates antthing as far as quality needed to look acceptable.  Probably something better than your average Goodwill suit but I don't think a $2000 custom made suit is needed either.

grampster

• friend
Suit Shopping
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 04:18:11 PM »
Get Red Adair baseball cap, a pair of old boots, a flannel shirt, and dip some levis in oil tar, rub some more on your face and walk into the interview yelling yeeeeehaaaaw it's a gusher Clyde.

See what happens.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

bratch

• friend
Suit Shopping
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 04:38:04 PM »
I've got alot of jeans and shirts that are stained with oil, pipe dope, and water cut.  from my first summer in the field.  Somehow I feel those might be frowned upon;)

...has left the building.

Suit Shopping
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 05:05:40 PM »
If you're looking for a decent suit at a decent price I'll echo the Men's Wearhouse suggestion. If I were you, I'd go with a basic black solid (or nearly solid...no crazy patterns), 2-3 dress shirts (in case they ask you back for another round of interviews...I'd probably get one darker blue and one white) and 2-3 ties. I ONLY wear striped or solid ties, that is a personal trademark I guess...YMMV. Make sure that your leather and metal all match.

bratch

• friend
Suit Shopping
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 05:45:36 PM »
Thanks guys  I'd been thinking Men's Warehouse so I guess this seals it.

crt360

• friend
Suit Shopping
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 06:08:04 PM »
Jos. A. Bank also has some pretty decent suits for the money.  Just be sure you buy them when they have their monthly semi-annual 40% off year-end closeout sale.  Their cheapest ones aren't bad, but the ones that cost about $75-100 more (on sale) are noticeably better.  I wear suits all the time and bought a couple of their cheapest ones ($200-250 on sale) just to see if they were any good.  The material is a bit lighter, which is great if you have to wear a suit in the summer in Texas, but it allows them to wrinkle a little easier.  Other than that, I think they are pretty well made.  I also have suits which I paid 3 times as much for, but wear a lot less because they're hotter, not as comfortable, and since I paid more for them I always think I have to save them for special occasions.
For entertainment purposes only.

bratch

• friend
Suit Shopping
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 06:23:40 PM »
Luckily about an hour and a half will be as long as I have to wear the suit.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Suit Shopping
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 06:27:22 PM »
Well, count me as one who doesn't like Men's Warehouse. My last shirt and tie were from that store and, when I got home and really checked the items out, I felt like I'd been ripped off. The tie felt like it was made from a piece of carpetting, and the shirt dissolved the first time I washed it.

An old friend of mine who spent his life wearing suits and ties advised against department stores. My arguement against his stance is that, when they're having a sale, there's good deals to be had.

Just take your suit to a reputable tailor. A good tailor can make a $400 suit look like a $2000 suit. It's all in the fit.

Unless you're a fashion fanatic, stick to the tried-and-true: simple gray or black suits, no double-breasted suits, no fancy collars, and no funky colors.

In terms of how to dress, I always look at Presidents Bush and Clinton. Both wear their clothes well.

When it comes to trying to look fancy, I look at Bill O'Reilly. He can really pull off the pink ties and pastel shirts. But, all the while, he's wearing suits that he only needs to accompany with a white shirt and red tie before he looks mainstream again.

And don't discount the idea of shopping for suits at GoodWill. I've found some very expensive suits and sportcoats there for just a few dollars.

bratch

• friend
Suit Shopping
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 06:41:29 PM »
Goodwill was kind of an off the cuff reference I have bought quite a few clothes there but am in a minor time crunch so I won't have time to do a hardcore bargain shopping.

I'll probably wear the suit 10-15 times between now and December and maybe once a year after that.

I'll look into Jos. A. Bank.

**There is actually a Jos. A. Bank here in Norman not too far from me.  Any idea when their sales are?  They have a lot of stuff on sale online will it be on sale in the stores as well?

...has left the building.

Suit Shopping
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 06:47:20 PM »
I've never bought a shirt or tie from MW. But I do have one MW suit...I've had it for 6 years and wear it all the time. I get it professionally dry cleaned and it has held up very well. IMO better than most off-the-rack type suits. I had it professionally tailored so the fit is excellent.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Suit Shopping
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 06:59:32 PM »
I bought a suit once at Men's Warehouse. It was a complete waste of money.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

crt360

• friend
Suit Shopping
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005, 07:05:02 PM »
Jos. A. Bank has a sale that is ending tomorrow.  Here is a link to the Signature 110 suits for $299 & $399:  http://www.josbank.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=13222

There is also another page with suits on sale for $200.  They may be all you need, but the 110s are IMHO probably worth the extra $100.

I haven't bought from their walk-in store in Austin in a long time, so I don't know if they have the same sales.  I usually order them and have my tailor fit them.

Just take your suit to a reputable tailor. A good tailor can make a $400 suit look like a $2000 suit. It's all in the fit.
I agree.  As long as the material isn't too cheap, the patterns are matched and even, and the seams are done well, a good tailor does the work that makes you look professional.
For entertainment purposes only.

bratch

• friend
Suit Shopping
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2005, 07:09:33 PM »
I'll have to go into the store and look.  I don't have any idea what sizes I need.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Suit Shopping
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2005, 07:45:32 PM »
Men's Wearhouse set me up with a new suit about 18 months ago when I had to go on an interview. They did it quickly, and at a decent price.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
Suit Shopping
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2005, 08:56:05 PM »
Count me as another who doesn't care much for men's warehouse.

I was not impressed with their selection, they didn't stock much in big/tall, and the suits were way overpriced for what you get. I've seen better selction and bought better suits at a mall boutique for better prices.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Chris

Suit Shopping
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2005, 05:47:38 AM »
Are you anywhere near an S&K Menswear?  I wear a suit almost daily, and find their suits to be well made, fashionable enough, and reasonably priced.  If you watch for a sale, you can often pick up 2 suits for $300.

To go along with the suit advice, I would advise that you look into a nice three button navy blue suit.  Very dark.  It will get you through weddings, funerals, and any other event you might need a suit for.  get a pair of decent dress shoes and a matching belt, and you're set.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Suit Shopping
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2005, 06:17:46 AM »
+1 on the navy suit, multi function. Make sure to get 3 different dress shirts and ties that match. Black Shoes and Belt. Buy leather shoes that can take a shine, non of that cheap crap from payless, cheap looking shoes can ruin a nice suit.

I bought my last suit from Men's Warehouse, not the $200 ones but a Ralph Lauren for a little more $$ because it was on sale. Those $200 deals they have are pretty crappy suits with horrid material. A good tailor can work wonders.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Suit Shopping
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2005, 09:52:09 AM »
bratch, second what Monkey sez, if you purchase a suit for $300-$500 at S&K, Men's Warehouse, inter alia, I highly recommend taking the suit and spending an additional $40 to $60 at a tailor.  Have the suit altered to fit you like a good suit.

I wear off-the-rack when I am in the office all day, "offfice suits".  However, I have them fitted by a tailor who has been in business since the 50s.  He even knows how I carry my pistol and has it fitted to suit.

Navy blue or dark charcoal gray, 3 button.  White shirt, red tie, black cap toes shined to mirrors.  Clean your watch before the interview.  Trim your nails and brush your teeth with baking soda, trim your nose hair and you'll be all set.  Good luck.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Suit Shopping
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2005, 12:06:28 PM »
Mens' Wearhouse is okay if you want a Sunday suit, but not so okay for a daily wearer. I bought four when I started in real estate (three different brands, too). All four completely unraveled in less than six months. And by 'unraveled' I mean just that. All the stitching came completely out of them. The jacket liners bit it first, then the outer seams.

Went to Dillards when they had a sale. Spent $50 more per suit and still have all of them to this day. I still get shirts at Mens' Wearhouse, but no longer buy my suits there.

Also, spend a few bucks on good dress shoes. Cheapo shoes will come apart, make your feet hurt, and usually end up stinking to high heaven. Count on spending at least $150 for a good pair of shoes. I know it sounds like a lot, but they will last many years with basic care and can usually be resoled for a modest price.

As with other posters, stick with the business basics for your suit - dark. Charcoal, gray, or navy pinstripe. Don't bother with vests. And shirts. White, or at least a solid color with a white collar and cuffs. Cufflinks are a nice touch, but only if you have some nice ones. Cufflinks from the dollar store just look cheesy. Ditty for a tie chain.

Jewelry. Minimal. Nice watch and, if applicable, wedding band and class ring. And as El Tejon suggested, clean. Most watches can be thoroughly cleaned with an old toothbrush and a dab of dish soap. Don't use cleaners or anything with grit. Jewelry can be cleaned the same way, although I recommend you take any rings and have them sonic-cleaned and polished. It's only a couple of bucks and really makes them shine.

And no nose rings, earrings, or other visible piercings. Period!

If you drink coffee, pop a couple of Altoids right before the interview. Chew 'em up good, then put another one in for a long soak. Coffee breath is as bad, or worse than, smoker's breath or funky guess-what-I-just-ate breath.

Stand up straight. Walk in with confidnece - like you own the place - but don't be cocky. Shake hands firmly, but not crushingly. Make solid eye contact. Speak forthrightly, but not to excess. Brevity and clarity are the key.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Suit Shopping
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2005, 06:55:23 PM »
In terms of how to dress, I always look at Presidents Bush and Clinton. Both wear their clothes well.
We're on the same page there monkeyleg, although a bit dated, Connery's James Bond was good too.

bratch, your thread has evolved into it's own little dress for success guide. Definitely go for the conservative look.

bratch

• friend
Suit Shopping
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2005, 08:36:08 PM »
Went suit shopping again today.  I had went to Jos. A. Bank a couple days ago they were low on inventory so were having something sent from Texas but I didn't arrive in time.

I went out tonight and ended up at Foleys they were having a buy 1 get 1 free clearance sale with an extra 10% off clearance price.

I kind of overachieved and came home with 4 new suits.  I ended up with 3 from Calvin Klein and an Oscar de la Renta.  Got a charcoil gray, a lighter gray, a black, and a navy.  I'm not sure if I'll keep them all or not but I wasn't able to pick out just 2 at the store.

aguyindallas

Suit Shopping
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2005, 09:20:32 PM »
Quote from: El Tejon
bratch, second what Monkey sez, if you purchase a suit for $300-$500 at S&K, Men's Warehouse, inter alia, I highly recommend taking the suit and spending an additional $40 to $60 at a tailor.  Have the suit altered to fit you like a good suit.

I wear off-the-rack when I am in the office all day, "offfice suits".  However, I have them fitted by a tailor who has been in business since the 50s.  He even knows how I carry my pistol and has it fitted to suit.

Navy blue or dark charcoal gray, 3 button.  White shirt, red tie, black cap toes shined to mirrors.  Clean your watch before the interview.  Trim your nails and brush your teeth with baking soda, trim your nose hair and you'll be all set.  Good luck.
That last bit is probably the most useful advice somebody can be given when going on an interview!
Vote For Pedro