Author Topic: To Malibu or not to Malibu?  (Read 3734 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
To Malibu or not to Malibu?
« on: September 20, 2005, 07:09:01 AM »
I am in the market for a vehicle, kind of narrowed it down to a Chevy Malibu. Any one have pro or cons about them. I drive 17 miles each way to work and twice a week I drive 80 miles round trip for a class in another town.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Paddy

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 07:44:21 AM »
'charby's chebbie' has a nice ring to it.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 08:44:18 AM »
Too funny

Uranus is a gas giant.

...has left the building.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 09:44:20 AM »
My feeling is summed up by a Malibu article I read in a major car magazine: "The Malibu is a great car for people who don't care about cars."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 11:37:28 AM »
daniel

Because of looks or lack of high performance?

Charby

Uranus is a gas giant.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 11:44:20 AM »
Quote from: Daniel Flory
My feeling is summed up by a Malibu article I read in a major car magazine: "The Malibu is a great car for people who don't care about cars."
I couldn't say it better. I rented one once for a few days on a trip. It was a fine car, rode nice, reasonably quiet, adequate power, etc. And GM has made tremendous strides in quality over the last few years, so I would expect it to be a good reliable car.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 01:31:20 PM »
The Malibu is that famed "A to B" transportation that your parents always urged you to select in buying a car. There is nothing inspiring about the car nor nothing to outright hate. Personally though I prefer Japanese cars if I want basic transportation.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 02:38:28 PM »
It's the kind of car you forget about driving. When I was shopping for a new car, I was test driving with my brother, who is also a "car guy". We were driving a toyota camry and about 2 minutes into the test drive we altogther forgot to talk about the car and carried on to another topic. The malibu is a similar car. This can be viewed as a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your desires in a car.

onions!

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 03:06:25 PM »
I think that a 303hp V8,est.27mpg Malibu might not be forgettable.

Being a GM it'll likely be a falling apart mess while the Honda/Toyota/VW is still going strong.

303hp though!Ditch the wing & go pony car hunting!:)

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 04:35:51 PM »
There is no 303hp Malibu.  http://www.chevrolet.com/malibu/features/

There is a 303hp 5.3L V8 Impala SS, which is a fugly car with the bastardization of a classic nameplate.  Ditching the wing might drop .005 (yes, five thousandths) off of your mid-15 second quarter mile times.  Not pony car territory, unless we're talking 3.8L V6 pony cars.  Front wheel drive and copious amounts of horsepower don't mix well at all, similar to drunken handicaps and firearms.  Pushrods don't exist in modern performance V8 engines either, real car manufacturers use overhead cam technology.  GM tried that with the ZR-1 Corvette with great results, but somehow they must've forgotten about it.  Get a Ford.
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 07:09:58 PM »
The new fwd v8 cars from GM (impala SS, bonneville GXP, monte carlo something or other I think) are really just novelty cars. It's a good 5.3L 300hp v8 coupled to a very weak automatic transmission and crippled by the computer so as to not blow up the transmission. You do get 300hp, you do get the v8 rumble, but the performance numbers are just not where they should be for a 300hp car of that weight. The displacement on demand cylinder deactication works as advertised and returns pretty decent highway mileage.  They should have used the northstar 4T80 trans or sourced a different automatic, but from what I've heard from an inside source at GM, the project did not have the funding to change the transmission, which involves major changes to the chassis.

Quote from: Gun Runner
Pushrods don't exist in modern performance V8 engines either, real car manufacturers use overhead cam technology.  GM tried that with the ZR-1 Corvette with great results, but somehow they must've forgotten about it.  Get a Ford.
Oh boy, we could debate this one for days. I'd argue the opposite, that for street vehicles a 2-valve engine is perfectly adequate for all but the highest end of sports cars. GM has done some really excellent work in airflow of 2-valve heads and their recent engines are good performing, reliable, and friendly (from an NVH standpoint) engines. Pushrod engines are simple, cheaper to make, cheaper to service, and with proper head and camshaft design can have excellent performance. >2 valve per head engines have lots of extra complication. Ford's new 3 valve 5.4L v8 is a good example, they're having tons of problems with it. Can't even change the spark plugs without removing the heads cause they break off when you try to take them out. Nice.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 04:57:46 AM »
I've already owned a few fast cars, 5.0 Mustang and a 68 Plymouth Satellite with a 383. Those days are behind me and I really just need a form fits function daily driver that all I need to do is put gas and oil in and get down the road. I was really looking hard a Honda Civic but I just want something a little bigger.

I am still miffed by the Chevy Impala, it is nothing like the old Impalas at all. The Dodge Charger, I don't even want to go into that!

Charby

Uranus is a gas giant.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 06:18:27 AM »
For what you're looking for the Malibu is a fine choice.

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 09:29:32 AM »
I traded my BMW M3 for a Civic and my first motorcycle. I would definitely go with the Civic over the Malibu.

aguyindallas

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 09:09:07 PM »
I wouldnt do it. The Malibu, although this is a newer version has never been much more than a POS.
Vote For Pedro

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 03:22:52 PM »
The wife bought an '05 Monty. Nice car overall, stay away from the "(not so)Smart Buy" we think it's a ripoff now that we're into it a little. Actually, it probably ends up cheaper for you to buy the car than turn it back in at the end. They've got plenty of hidden stuff going on. Them car salesmen are as sneaky as ever. The Onstar is a farce too. It costs IIRC $199 a year for basic which means if you have an emergency they'll call it in for you but that's about it which is not much at all and then you have to "upgrade" to get the good stuff. We called for directions and were told we'd get directions this one time but after that we'd have to upgrade to get the service again. $399 per year IIRC. Plus you have to buy phone minutes to use the in car phone. So far mechanically it has been mostly trouble free. Problems with the "Auto Trac" that were supposedly a sensor and it's been OK so far since. We got the 6 cyl and it gets up and goes when you want it to. LT model I think we have. It's got dual exhaust which warms the heart of ANY motorhead. Smiley
Avoid cliches like the plague!