Author Topic: Shot an XD Tactical  (Read 7817 times)

Paddy

Shot an XD Tactical
« on: November 05, 2007, 04:07:42 PM »
.45 acp 5" at the range today.  Suweeeet!  Now I gotta have one.  undecided   It's completely Glock like, but with a better trigger.  Almost no recoil.  I sold my G21 because the grip was way too big and I never got used to it.  I understand the Tacticals are hard to find, though, so I might have to wait awhile.  Hope Springfield's quality control doesn't deteriorate in the meantime.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Shot an XD Tactical
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 04:13:07 PM »
My FFL tried for 3 months or so to order me XD9 Bi-Tone Tactical, I got tired of waiting and had him order me up a bi-tone service model, which I picked up last weekend. I was going to purchase a service model in the future.

I think that XDs are the popular pistol right now.

Now if they could only come in 10mm, tactical XD 10mm would be the cat's ass for a deer pistol.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 04:22:46 PM »
Charby,

Beretta mod. 96, .40 cal Federal hydra-shok, 155 grain.  My favorite heavy cover deer gun.  Got to check with your state rules on semi auto hand gun hunting tho.  Your magazine may need to be plugged so that you can't have more than a certain amount of rounds in the firearm.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 05:00:43 PM »
Not a big fan of the three I've shot (9mm, .45, .40). Glocks and M&Ps are much nicer in my hand, the XD always feels imbalanced (too top-heavy for me, as are H&Ks - Sigs are in between).

And my new(to me) Springfield Loaded 1911 9mm is about the nicest gun I've ever shot. Trying to figure out how to justify the cost for a commander-length Nighthawk in 9mm, it would be just about perfect for extended shooting and classes.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Paddy

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 05:08:45 PM »
The XD owner was pushing the Smith M&P today.  I've never been a fan of S&W semiautos, but supposedly this one's different.  What's their price range?  The XD is about $650 here in CA.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 05:36:35 PM »
Too expensive for what it is. Maybe I'll get one in a few years, when the hype dies down.

Paddy

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 05:41:35 PM »
Too expensive for what it is. Maybe I'll get one in a few years, when the hype dies down.

'cept we're in CA, CAnnoneer. We may not have a few years. 

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 05:44:06 PM »
I paid $430 for my M&P9 a few months back (at Cabela's), though I've seen the plain full-size 9 and .40 models for $399 at gun shows right now. I think most XDs are selling in the low $500 range, for comparison.

The feel is fantastic - it sits low in your hand, just the right palm swell for a solid grip. The trigger on mine is not as crisp as I would like so I'm going to get off my rear and send it to Dan Burwell or David Bowie for a trigger job soon. (been saying that for months, keep putting it off)
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 05:46:37 PM »
Smith is also running a promo for two free mags and a $50 rebate. I don't need another gun right now, but if I see one for $400 this weekend, $50 back from S&W and four mags total...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 05:53:01 PM »
The XD owner was pushing the Smith M&P today.  I've never been a fan of S&W semiautos, but supposedly this one's different.  What's their price range?  The XD is about $650 here in CA.

On the box my XD came in.. Not Legal in California.  Probably because it has two 16 round magazines.

Mine was $588 that included tax and shipping, I probably could have saved 20 bucks if I went to a chain outdoor store but I don't mine paying a little extra to deal with my FFL guy because he is very reasonable on gun repair and has gotten me what I wanted out of firearms I have sold on consignment through him. Plus I like to chat with him and his wife when I see them.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 06:02:51 PM »
I don't need another gun right now, 

Sniff.  sad  How could you say such a horrible thing?  Sniff.    sad

Please, moderators, he should be banned for that kind of hate-speech.  I've got to go get a Kleenex.  Sniff. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

atomd

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 06:22:01 PM »
I paid about $500 for my XD45 Service. I really like it a lot. Took it out today actually. I also really like the feel of the M&P but they are having a few issues with them at the moment. I'll wait til they get a 2nd generation of them out to work out the kinks and then maybe I'll pick one up. I also would like to give the Sig p250 a try when available because that looks interesting. Regardless, you can't go wrong with the XD45.

Paddy

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 06:26:10 PM »
I also really like the feel of the M&P but they are having a few issues with them at the moment.

That's all I need to pass on a Smith semiauto.  Thanks.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 06:30:12 PM »
The P250 does look interesting - wish they'd just come out with the 9mm already and worry about other calibers later.

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 06:33:16 PM »

My XD45 Service.  I'd really like to have a tactical too, it's almost a different gun because the balance is different.  My CCW when wardrobe permits.  Love it.

My OD XD40 Tactical (below the franken AR).  Love it!  Currently my only .40 S&W.

I don't think you'll be let down Riles.

FWIW if the M&P had been out when I bought the XD, I would have had a really, really hard time deciding.  I think the M&P has real potential, but the XD45ACP in its various forms is just sublime, it's the high point of the XD lineup.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 07:08:13 PM »
I've got an XD .45. 5inch barrel but the shorter grip from the compact. I love it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 02:35:00 AM »

'cept we're in CA Hillary will be the next POTUS, CAnnoneer. We may not have a few years. 

There, fixed for you.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 05:54:01 AM »
Also like a Glock, they have the fundamentally flawed design that requires that you pull the trigger to take it down.

Why I'm not even remotely interested in them. I prefer SIGs. Smiley

Len Budney

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 05:59:41 AM »
Also like a Glock, they have the fundamentally flawed design that requires that you pull the trigger to take it down.

That's one of the improvements in the M&P: no-trigger-pull takedown. I don't know what the "issues" are, alluded to above, but I mean to find out; I've shot M&Ps at the range, and they really are sweet. I've been lusting after one for months, working on a pretext to convince my wife I "need" one.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 06:11:43 AM »
That's one of the improvements in the M&P: no-trigger-pull takedown

What are you on about? That's how I always take mine apart, just like my XD. Is there some other way?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Len Budney

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 06:22:49 AM »
That's one of the improvements in the M&P: no-trigger-pull takedown

What are you on about? That's how I always take mine apart, just like my XD. Is there some other way?

Yes. Per page 20 of the manual, you lock the slide open, and use the frame tool from the grip to lower the sear deactivation lever in the mag well. Then you rotate the takedown lever and remove the slide as normal.

They did that, reportedly, because pulling the trigger to remove the slide was cited as one of the (many) defects in the Sigma making it less desirable for police use. The M&P seems to take the best features of the S&W Sigma and the Glock on which it was based, while fixing most of the defects.

--Len.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 06:30:04 AM »
I don't need another gun right now, 

Sniff.  sad  How could you say such a horrible thing?  Sniff.    sad

Please, moderators, he should be banned for that kind of hate-speech.  I've got to go get a Kleenex.  Sniff. 

Wooderson?  You should be ashamed of yourself.

Let me guess, Fistful logged into you account and typed that for you? 
 laugh
One day at a time.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 07:09:13 AM »
So does the M&P have some sort of internal key lock? Like the revolvers do?

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Len Budney

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 07:11:28 AM »
So does the M&P have some sort of internal key lock? Like the revolvers do?

Apparently it's an option: the manual says on p. 23, "Your M&P may be equipped with an internal lock..."

--Len.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 07:34:50 AM »
You can see on mine where the lock would go if it had one. I like it fine without. I think there's a mag disconnect option too, for police departments that insist on such nonsense.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine