Author Topic: O.K.,it's that time of year,who has expierience w/leaf blowers?  (Read 3615 times)

onions!

O.K.,it's that time of year,who has expierience w/leaf blowers?
« on: September 23, 2005, 06:17:50 AM »
I've only one small ash in my yard.It seems like my upwind neighbors have about 100 oaks trees.

I have a lot of small shrubbery & am tired of crawling around on my prayer bones picking leaves out of the bushes.

I'm looking @ both hand held gas & electric models-no backpacks,I don't want to be a yard ninja.Wink

Anyone know what works & what doesn't?

I'm going to budget up to $200 on this.I'd prefer to spend half that.

Paddy

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 06:19:41 AM »
I've never understood the purpose of leafblowers.  They just move stuff around to get blown back again.  Unless you're going to collect everything and bag it up.

mhdishere

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 06:29:15 AM »
I have a Husqvarna backpack model I really like, and I think they have a hand-held model too.  I'm not a "yard ninja" though, I just have three BIG oak trees in my yard.  Backpack types are nice because they put the weight on the part of your body that can support it best.

I tried a Black and Decker electric model first, it's good enough for blowing grass clippings off the sidewalk but that's about it.

RileyMc: My town has us pile the leaves up at the curb for collection, a leaf blower is a good way to move leaves into piles and get them out from under bushes and stuff.  I usually make a big pile, then rake them either onto a tarp or into cans to drag them to the curb and dump them.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 06:33:58 AM »
Being as you live in Michigan and we have oak trees, consider the work you do to clean up as payment for the beauty of the trees in the summer.  
I have 17 oaks on my property and live in the middle of an oak forest in Newaygo county.  You get no sympathy from me.  Heh.

Go to one of the big box stores.  You can get a very good hand held gas blower for less than $100.00  They are not too effective, though.  The back pack blowers are the best, but if you have even a little back trouble, it'll make it worse.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 06:41:09 AM »
I used to be in the yard care business and I tried a gas powered leaf blower one fall and I was still much faster with a rake. I did like to use the leaf blower as a yard vac and suck up and grind the leaves into mulch. I also had pretty good luck picking up the big leaves, oak and maple with a riding lawn mower with a bagger on the back.

I think the best use for a leaf blower is to blow off cut grass from the side walks.

For shrubbery and such, buy a shrubbery rake and they do a good job of getting the leaves out of them. They also work really good at raking up cigarette butts too.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Preacherman

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 06:59:10 AM »
I've solved my problem.  Later this afternoon, Hurricane Rita will pass a bit south and west of me.  We're forecast to have tropical storm force winds through the night and into tomorrow.  I rather suspect that this will solve my leaf problem... Smiley
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 07:13:42 AM »
Don't get just a leaf blower.

Get a combo blower/mulching vac.

I had one until a friend ruined it (just haven't replaced it).

Makes a HUGE difference. Suctions up and shreds leaves and turneds them into a quickly disappearing mulch.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

onions!

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 07:14:32 AM »
mhdishere?I didn't mention that my front yard is fairly small.A backpack model would be overkill.It'd be like having a lawn tractor for a small,town lot.My yard ninja comment came from that vein.Overkill for me.cool
Now that I think about it I do have a friend who sells Husqvarna equipment.(I don't see him much as he's in Fort Wayne-a bit of a drive..)

Riley?A blower works well for lifting the dry leaves off of the bark mulch.A rake takes the bark too.

Grampster?Tongue

onions!

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 07:19:42 AM »
Mike Irwin?I was thinking that on vac one of those might pick up the cypress bark too.Don't want that!

What do you think?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 07:29:37 AM »
I have mulch around many of my plants, as well.

It will take some practice, but you'll get to the point where you'll be able to vac the leaves up without vaccing the mulch.

Even if you do vac up some mulch, so what? The mulching attachment in the blower/vac will turn the mulch into.... mulch.

One thing I always did with the leaves that I had vacced and mulched was spread them around the plants, hedges, and even sprinkle them thinly on the lawn. Within a couple of weeks you'll never know it was there.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 07:54:09 AM »
Don't use oak leaves as mulch for anything other than evergreens or plants that like acidic fertilizer.  Decomposing oak leaves will kill about anything else.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

onions!

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 08:14:30 AM »
Quote from: grampster
Don't use oak leaves as mulch for anything other than evergreens or plants that like acidic fertilizer.  Decomposing oak leaves will kill about anything else.
Yep,a nice low key bio-weapon to toss over the back fence.Smiley
My neighbors & I will get along better when junior stops bouncing his basketball off of my siding.

OTOH,oak leaves work pretty well in an aquarium that needs to complement fish from select parts of the Amazon.They leach out tannins nicely & are cheap!

Paddy

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 08:37:03 AM »
Riley?A blower works well for lifting the dry leaves off of the bark mulch.A rake takes the bark too.
Nah. I don't even rake......

onions!

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 09:02:58 AM »
Riley,that's pretty looking country you live in.Quite a view too.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2005, 09:30:51 AM »
When I lived where there are trees ...

I have an electric leaf blower that I like.  I think of it as a big job tool rather than a little job tool because it is so hard to control where the leaves go other than the general direction.

Which is okay when the leaves have fallen and I want to roust them out and away from the chain link fence, and then herd them into the middle of the yard (not quite as bad as a herd of cats) where I can rake them up into bags.

Another interesting use is cleaning the dirt out of the garage.  This isnt quite as successful because some dirt gets blown up in the air and settles on shelves, tools, etc.  The floor, however, gets very clean.

A surprisingly effective application was when I had gutters that filled with leaves.  I went up on the roof with it, and it blew wet, muddy leaves, packed a couple inches deep, out of the gutters with no trouble at all.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2005, 12:16:36 PM »
Blowers are also surprisingly effective at moving light, powdery snows.

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2005, 02:26:02 PM »
My experience:

I used to work 7PM to 7AM - Three twelves in a row. A leaf blower will fire up about the time one is about to fall asleep.

I learned to hate Leaf Blowers even before I was "trying" to sleep days.

My ex did inform her son ( my stepson) that she and I were  not kidding about him using that leaf blower if mom or I were trying to sleep. We let him look up the word  "enema" - he understood.  He was also instructed on how to use a tarp, how to put said leaves in a bag, put up tarp and not leave the leaf blower in the kitchen sink. Male Teenager - no need to explain further.

Now I cheated back when I had three lots and shared a pond. The Boy scouts, Girl scouts, and some church kids wanting to raise money, did my leaf chores, and some other yard work. See, I donated some guns, ammo and stuff for the shooting range on some private property. Yeah sure I sometimes paid them too...the Girl Scouts always got my money for cookies. This charity stuff gets expensive with the Girl Souts btw..

Kids appreciated making some money, or "paying back"  shooting range facilities.  I think I went in the hole the day I had a cookout feeding them BS/ GS/ Church kids...dang kids can eat.

They showed up with all kinds of tractors, baggers and whatnot. They came to eat, and fish in the pond. Record time for my place getting cleaned up!

Good thing about a teenage kid having an electric blower. Momma can be in her robe, and the teenager on the other side of the yard. Un-plug that sucker and it gets real quiet, real fast.

Yes you can make a hangmans noose from an orange extension cord. Have a teenager see that, and he is not sure which is better , the enema idea or the hanging idea. Momma said the penalty was both.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2005, 03:49:35 PM »
The Boy scouts, Girl scouts, and some church kids wanting to raise money
Seriously.  Forget a leaf blower, just find yourself a Boy Scout and a rake.  Alternatively, have children.  Mom says that's why she had me.
We let him look up the word  "enema" - he understood
In my house, to this very day, the exact threat is the dreaded "icewater enema."  Mom is a nurse, so she knows how to do it, and she's evil (how else could she have me?), so she will do it.  I haven't been stupid enough to test her on that one.

If you go with the leafblower idea, do try very hard to respect your neighbors.  Leafblowers make an unbelieveable racket that just drives me bonkers.  The lawn guys who do the campus like to mow, edge, and blow the area right under my window for about four hours every Thursday evening, which makes it real hard to study.  Never mess with one of those things in the late evening, and try to only use it on a weekend.

As for my specific recommendation... Do they still make yard vacuums?  I had a Sears dual-purpose jobbie that had two different attachments.  One went onto the exhaust of the turbine for blowing, and the other went onto the intake of the turbine for vacuuming.  There was a bag with a shoulder strap that attached to the exhaust when you were vacuuming.  It was light enough that I could wrangle it when I was 10-ish, and it sucked up and diced those little spikey ball things that fell off our sweet gum tree with no problem.  It was really handy because our municipality banned the spreading of lawn debris onto city property (sidewalk and street), so I could just suck up all the leaves in a few minutes and dump them on the compost pile.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2005, 04:13:02 PM »
Riley,

Your dirt is an interesting shade of, well, brown.  Heh.  Looks like someone threw some oak leaves over your fence.  Heh.