Author Topic: Spending too much time at the ER - dog bite  (Read 985 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Spending too much time at the ER - dog bite
« on: July 04, 2009, 01:34:48 AM »
Last weekend it was me and the nose bleed from hell (epistaxis).  This weekend it was my wife and a dog bite.  She and I tried a new route this evening, and a bull dog came running out of its yard and bit my wife's leg.
Fortunately, it resulted in only scraped skin, mildly broken, not puncture wounds and badly torn flesh.  We filed a report with the county sheriff, and the deputy strongly suggested she go to the ER to be checked, etc.  The dog will be quarantined for ten days to make sure it doesn't have rabies.  Other than that, we're good.
Sigh...they know us too well at the ER.  At my wife's tongue-in-cheek suggestion, her doctor threatened to write a prescription preventing her from doing housework for three days.  The sheriff's deputy was similarly friendly.  Got to love a small town.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Spending too much time at the ER - dog bite
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 07:36:16 AM »
Don't make me post pictures of my dog bite from a few years ago....
 :angel:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 07:49:07 AM »
Dog bites are nasty and can cause damages far beyond rabies.  About 6 months ago my daughter broke up a dog fight (yeah, I told her so) and got a small puncture wound for her efforts.  In three days she had blood poisoning and excruciating pain.  See the doc was the right thing to do.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 08:25:55 AM »
Rocketman, sorry to hear about your wife. I think 3 days of couch duty sounds about right.

Do you carry pepper spray, a gun, or a big stick while walking?  Will you now?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

PTK

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
MY ER visit is nastier.  =D

(GRAPHIC)

(VERY GRAPHIC)

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7973/finger3c.jpg
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 11:36:57 AM »
If it's a small town, do you know the owner? Not that that's relevant in any way.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 03:54:52 PM »
Ouch, sorry to hear that. Hope the wife is well. How'd you disrupt the attack?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 04:16:11 PM »
Rocketman, sorry to hear about your wife. I think 3 days of couch duty sounds about right.

Do you carry pepper spray, a gun, or a big stick while walking?  Will you now?

Thank you for your concern, Fly320s.  Actually, we were riding our bikes, a detail that I missed in the OP.
At some point, as finances allow, I will obtain a CCW and carry weapon.  Last night really brought that home.
I'm going to have to come up with a reasonably effective alternative in the meantime.

If it's a small town, do you know the owner? Not that that's relevant in any way.

I don't believe we know them.  We did not contact them at the time, as escape was foremost on our minds.  They were pretty pissed at their dogs, but made absolutely no attempt to see if we were okay.  We let the county sheriff make the contact.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Hope the wife is well. How'd you disrupt the attack?

Balog, we were just plain lucky in that regard.  My wife's leg must have been on the upstroke on the pedal, and she was moving along at about the same speed as the dog.  The dog got its mouth over my wife's left calf, managed to only scrape her skin with its teeth, and then lost contact.
My wife just continued trucking down the road behind me, and we stopped a few hundred yards further on to assess the situation.

According to the SO, the dog is under quarantine for ten days, and it will be evaluated by animal control after that.  If it turns out to be a repeat offense for the animal, it will be put down.  If this is its first offense, then on the second it gets put down.

We, or more accurately, she was very fortunate in that the skin was barely broken.  It could have been much worse if the dog had gotten a good purchase on her leg.
She is in good shape.  Her main concern is not being able to use that riding route as she really likes it.  We'll give it a few weeks before trying it again.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 04:44:04 AM »
Ah, yes, the old dog-chases-biker story. I know how that feels.

For future use, some dogs are detered by being sprayed with water from a water bottle, by a loud alpha-male yell at the dog, or by a tire pump liberally applied to the nose. Also, pepper spray works pretty well and is fairly cheap. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?