Author Topic: Speed Strip reloading techniques?  (Read 8943 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Speed Strip reloading techniques?
« on: December 23, 2010, 06:35:54 PM »
I'm looking for any tips, pointers, videos, etc; on how to reload a revolver with the Bianchi speed strip (or similar product). A friend of mine knew I was interested in trying the speed strip, so he bought me a pair for Christmas.

Any recommendations?

I found that Massad Ayoob advised keeping five rounds in each strip, for a more secure grip. However, my revolver is a six-shot (Model 10), and that would lead to an empty chamber in the middle of the cylinder. Unless I want to take my time lining up the empty chamber at the top of the cylinder, under stress, possibly in the dark.  =|

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Speed Strip reloading techniques?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 07:12:25 PM »
would lead to an empty chamber

Just keep pulling the trigger.  I have heard it say, better to be quickly back in the fray than anal about getting all chambers filled.

I'm no expert, but I did win one of these, so maybe I'll know more in a bit.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 07:13:08 PM »
I'm no expert, but I use them, and I've found that 2x2x2 is the best balance of speed, smoothness and security. Align the first two rounds with two charge holes, rotate cylinder, repeat, repeat.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 07:33:41 PM »
I'm no expert, but I did win one of these, so maybe I'll know more in a bit.

Won what? A revolver? A dvd?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 07:35:35 PM »
Why not a speed loader instead of a speed strip for a 6 shooter?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 07:39:15 PM »
Why not a speed loader instead of a speed strip for a 6 shooter?

I suppose most users prefer them for ease of carry. I'm just trying them out to see how I like them.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 08:05:21 PM »
I like the speed strip because one drops perfectly in the change pocket of my pants for CCW.  I do the 2 at a time method.  okay..  2x2x1 on a j frame.  I'm not blindingly fast but hopefully good enough.  On my daily carry I have 5 standard HP reloads on it.  In the summer I add 1 round of rat shot to the strip when in town or as the first shot when on a near to town hike with the displaced HP on the speed strip.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 08:07:41 PM »
2x2x2 works great with speed strips....and with SKS stripper clips...the advantage being that the clip will hold 10 rounds....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 08:33:58 PM »
Won what? A revolver? A dvd?

The DVD.  I don't look at his blog often, but did that day.

A revolver?  I should be so lucky.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:09:14 PM by lee n. field »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 10:38:34 PM »
It's a bit more complicated than a rubber speed strip, more parts etc. but when it works right, it's WAY faster.

There's a metal or polymer box, and a little platform inside, and a spring rises the rounds up to the top of the box for feeding.

The downside is you have to ditch that revolver.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 10:53:56 PM »
Believe me, were I not so poor, I'd jump back onto the automatic bandwagon in a heartbeat.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 09:13:47 AM »
Believe me, were I not so poor, I'd jump back onto the automatic bandwagon in a heartbeat.

Wheel and deal dude.  Most everything I've acquired for a while now has been by trade.  I just sent my last Makarov to a new home, and got a seriously stout piece of Spanish steel in trade.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 10:57:28 AM »
Somewhere down on the lower reaches of things I actually should spend money on is a CCW license. And the required "training" course. And the holster. And the next holster, till I find one that fits. And probably some other things, like a stiffer belt.

And then the question is, do I buy those things, or try to trade up to a decent automatic, or do I finally buy the wifey that pistol she's been wanting for a long, long time (we need a pistol with a very narrow grip before she can actually learn to shoot) ?  =|

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 12:12:48 PM »
Fastest reload is a second gun  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 03:59:16 PM »
Somewhere down on the lower reaches of things I actually should spend money on is a CCW license. And the required "training" course. And the holster. And the next holster, till I find one that fits. And probably some other things, like a stiffer belt.

And then the question is, do I buy those things, or try to trade up to a decent automatic, or do I finally buy the wifey that pistol she's been wanting for a long, long time (we need a pistol with a very narrow grip before she can actually learn to shoot) ?  =|

In general, keep la esposa happy.

Got the DVD today.  It's from these people, called Defensive Revolver Fundamentals.  I started watching, but he <sarc>didn't have a Judge, so what's the point.</sarc>  --edit to add--actually he does cover it, at about minute 20.  With gold bling, no less.  No surprise, thumbs down from Grant Cunningham.

You probably won't be too enlightened by what he does with speed strips.  Insert 2, roll the cylinder, insert 2 more, then back in the fray.

Reloads are acknowledged to be fiddley.  Techniques to minimize  the need for fine motor skills were demonstrated.  Practice, practice, practice.

If you want to borrow the DVD, let me know.

like a stiffer belt.

One of the 5.11 belts shows up at clearance prices at various places.  I think it's this in tan. Otherwise, you'll be spending non-trivial money.  Nothing but junk from the stuffmarts.

And the holster. And the next holster, till I find one that fits.

Yeah, that's the way it works.  <tinfoil>It's a conspiracy, I tell you</tinfoil>.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 06:05:04 PM by lee n. field »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 07:01:18 PM »
You probably won't be too enlightened by what he does with speed strips.  Insert 2, roll the cylinder, insert 2 more, then back in the fray.

I played around them a little bit more, and I found they work best if I put six rounds in each, then hold them by that flimsy tab. Ayoob seems to be trying for a rigid "scalpel hold," which is why he leaves out on round. When I tried to do it that way, it just didn't work very well for me.

The problem I've always had with revolver reloads (or at least with this gun) is that one of the rounds almost uniformly hangs up on the topmost part of the grip. But the supplied wooden stocks don't fit my hands well, anyway. I'm gonna try some rubber ones.

In general, keep la esposa happy.

I was thinking more of keeping her alive.  =)  I guess I'll keep my revolver, but I'm still a lot more interested in arming the wife than upgrading my own piece.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 01:21:23 AM »
I know some people who carry revolvers use a pistol magazine as a speed feeder if it's compatible. I think I recall reading an article about some lawman who carried some kind of SA revolver chambered in .45ACP, and would load it with a 1911 magazine.

You could probably use a Desert Eagle, or maybe a Coonan magazine if you've got a .357 or .38 revolver, and just thumb the rounds into the chambers... click click click.

I promise not to duck.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 09:40:09 AM »
Sort of like a .45 Pez dispenser?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 10:10:49 AM »
I know some people who carry revolvers use a pistol magazine as a speed feeder if it's compatible.

Jim March over on TFL uses 1911 mags to load his .45ACP Blackhawk (his CCW piece). He's posted several threads about it over there....just search for his posts....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 10:25:29 AM »
Jim March over on TFL uses 1911 mags to load his .45ACP Blackhawk (his CCW piece). He's posted several threads about it over there....just search for his posts....

Jim March's CCW piece is a .357 vaquero.  Not a .45acp blackhawk.

I practice my speed strip skills very rarely.  Maybe 3 times a year.  I've got a couple of 6 round bianchi strips and I will run them in my 642 or SP101 when the urge strikes to take them out.

I tend to put 5rds in my strips, and that's because I store one if I'm carrying it, in the coin pocket of my blue jeans.  With 6 rounds, one will stick out the top.  With 5 rounds, they all fit and there's just a hint of black rubber sticking out the top.

When I reload, I only reload 4 rounds (into 5-shot cylinders).  I don't worry about indexing the empty to top.  It's an economy of speed thing... For the first two reload strokes I get 2 rounds into the cylinder, but that last one is only 1 round.  Half the return for the same amount of time/effort/vulnerability.

So, when I reload under pressure I only put 4 in, then I re-engage the target.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 10:40:42 AM »

His carry piece.  I would hardly call his Vaquero concealed.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 11:45:40 AM by lee n. field »

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 11:56:24 PM »
[universal answer]Buy a Glock and install Linux on it. [/universal answer]

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 12:28:22 AM »
[universal answer]Buy a Glock and install Linux on it then wrap it with detcord. [/universal answer]

FTFY
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 12:54:13 AM »
APS has two universal answers for all questions: wrap it in detcord, wrap it in bacon. There is no in-between.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 02:04:08 AM »
Wrap it with bacon based detcord?