Author Topic: speer has a new .22WMR gold dot for 2inch barrels  (Read 1874 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
speer has a new .22WMR gold dot for 2inch barrels
« on: August 09, 2011, 06:29:59 PM »
load up one of these http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/pmr-30/
& it could be very interesting :cool:

New - Gold Dot® Short Barrel® Personal Protection - 22 Win. Mag.
The newest addition to the Speer® Gold Dot Short Barrel line is the 40-grain .22 WMR hollow point. If this is the personal defense chambering you prefer, then this specialized new round is a must-have. Optimized for use in 2-inch barrels, it's designed to provide less kick, and will get reliable expansion. Gold Dot ammunition is known for superb performance, accuracy and reliability. No other ammunition offers such consistent high-performance. Nickel-plated for reliable feeding and extraction, this proven Short Barrel load is sure to perform.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

zahc

• friend
Re: speer has a new .22WMR gold dot for 2inch barrels
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 08:32:56 PM »
Interesting. Now if someone would get around to making the sub-compact 8-shot 22WMR pocket revolver I wish existed, then we would really have something.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 08:41:25 PM »
Interesting. Now if someone would get around to making the sub-compact 8-shot 22WMR pocket revolver I wish existed, then we would really have something.

Taurus 941, but it is a Taurus.  J-frame sized, so not "sub-compact", but still pocketable

Still, it's a Taurus.

Chris

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 10:34:02 PM »
Charter Arms also makes small-frame .22Mag revolvers....

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Pathfinder_72324.html

....and I've heard of more than a few people who have converted Ruger Bearcats to .22Mag....

http://www.gunblast.com/Boge_BowenBearcat.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_super_bearcat.htm

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 11:30:10 PM »
That's not sub-compact. And, it's only 6-shots (stupid for .22 given the cylinder sizes IMO). And, it's not DA.

I'm thinking something with a frame and cylinder slightly bigger than NAA .22mag, only with a usable grip. It would look extremely ugly, but I think it would be practical.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 09:08:33 AM »
Anyone know if they'd be any good and quieter out of a rifle?  Not that the report out of a .22 inch diameter bore  is an eargeschplittenloudenboomer, but there are times when a quieter shot is desireable.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 09:54:30 AM »
Anyone know if they'd be any good and quieter out of a rifle? 

I doubt it. Since it probably uses a faster-burning powder, it would probably be louder and faster from a rifle.

I kinda wish Aguilla would make its SSS round for .22Mag for that very reason....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 10:05:04 AM »
I have been looking for that new KelTec pistol in 22 mag, but haven't seen any. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 10:16:53 AM »
Riddle me this:
Why would one use a HP in a .22 rimfire (S, L, LR, or WRM) for self defense(1)?

They lack in KE & momentum to start with and are poor penetrators.  Why would one consciously choose to reduce the already-weak incapacitation mechanism (penetration) of the .22 rimfire class rounds?

If one wanted to increase the effectiveness of a .22 rimfire on humans, I could see making the meplat larger and using harder lead alloys.

I just don't see the utility of hollow points for SD in some cartridges.

(1) A HP makes sense fr varminting & some small game applications.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 12:26:57 PM »
I have been looking for that new KelTec pistol in 22 mag, but haven't seen any. 

The current CDNN catalog lists them.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 01:09:41 PM »
The current CDNN catalog lists them.

They're still trickling out on allocation. There's guys who've been hunting for PMR-30's for months on KTOG, and still can't find them for under $400.

Notice all the KT products are listed as "CALL" in their catalog. You're buying a spot on a waiting list from most everybody right now.
I promise not to duck.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 04:31:16 PM »
Riddle me this:
Why would one use a HP in a .22 rimfire (S, L, LR, or WRM) for self defense(1)?

They lack in KE & momentum to start with and are poor penetrators.  Why would one consciously choose to reduce the already-weak incapacitation mechanism (penetration) of the .22 rimfire class rounds?

If one wanted to increase the effectiveness of a .22 rimfire on humans, I could see making the meplat larger and using harder lead alloys.

I just don't see the utility of hollow points for SD in some cartridges.

(1) A HP makes sense fr varminting & some small game applications.
    my uneducated guess is they think that any self defense use would be at close enough range that penetration wouldn't be an issue so they made these for a larger wound channel
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 05:19:29 PM »
Why not just get a Five-seveN?  It's not as compact as a small revolver, but having 60 rounds in the gun and two extra magazines is a good feeling (not to mention better ballistics than 22WMR)

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 05:41:20 PM »
I had no idea the five seven had that much capacity! ... I have been considering a north american mini due to its price/conceal-ability

birdman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 07:00:32 PM »
I had no idea the five seven had that much capacity! ... I have been considering a north american mini due to its price/conceal-ability

Standard magazines are 20rnds, extended mags are 30 and stick out about 1.5"

It's fun (albeit expensive, ammo is $21/50), and people look at you funny when you shoot 30rnds out of what looks like a normal pistol without reloading...it's like a movie gun.

Also, very little recoil, and you can get back on target FAST.  With reasonable shot placement, I have no doubt to it's lethality.  (also, it's now the standard issue secret service sidearm IIRC so that is saying something.

Muzzle flash is significant...especially indoors...

My own ballistic testing...well, it will yield a 1-2" radius cavity about 2-3" into a phone book, and go through a 3-4" phone book...but not two of them..  No melon exit wound though.  The ballistic tip bullets expand fast.

Side note, same testing, a 300gr lapua scenar bullet at 2750fps out my 338LM goes through FIVE phone books, then EXPLODES (literally, the biggest fragment was about an inch across) a melon, and still knocks over a pepper popper :)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 07:14:28 PM »
Yeah, but the 30 round Lapua mag sticks out more than 1.5".
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 08:20:24 AM »
Yeah, but the 30 round Lapua mag sticks out more than 1.5".

Hahaha, the 5 round mag is almost 6" long....not like a 23lb 50" long rifle is concealable