Author Topic: Spinoff of the Speech Jamming Gun thread  (Read 629 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Spinoff of the Speech Jamming Gun thread
« on: March 02, 2012, 03:09:26 PM »
The thread about the "gun" that jams speech got me to thinking. Is there any way, even theoretical, to block or jam sound?

red headed stranger

• friend
Re: Spinoff of the Speech Jamming Gun thread
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:23:36 PM »
Are you thinking about something like active noise control?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_noise_control

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:56:53 PM »
The thread about the "gun" that jams speech got me to thinking. Is there any way, even theoretical, to block or jam sound?
This book describes a silentenna, designed to do just that:  http://www.amazon.com/Swift-Sonic-Book-Trap-Adventures/dp/B0006BMYZW
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 04:04:11 PM »
Yep, just push an inverted waveform back at the source, and you'll cancel it out.

Although in actual practice, accounting for every last echo, and transmission accelerated and decelerated medium in a given area is difficult, if not from a computational standpoint, but from a practical one to emit every last one of those waveforms in the proper frequency, power, and time to account for all the variable is very hard.

That's why the technology is most pronounced in contained and controlled circumstances, like in headphones where all that need be accounted for is the sounds between the headphones and the user's ears, or maybe in a car interior, where the acoustics are known, and the noises to be cancelled out are also known, like engine sounds at certain RPM's.

I'd also heard of active dampening/noise cancelling mufflers for cars. Although it's never gotten off the ground due to the expense, the muffler practically a wear part on most cars in snow/salt states, and because the engines and emission control systems now rely on the backpressure, that to use an noise cancelling active muffler would create a whole host of other expensive upstream changes in the car's functioning.
I promise not to duck.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 06:34:40 PM »

I block out my wife constantly.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!