Author Topic: Speed Limits Are Too Low  (Read 10721 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Speed Limits Are Too Low
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 05:40:57 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out how you people want me to drive, when I'm in the far left lane of a freeway. Let's say I'm in the right lane, on a four-lane (2 lanes each way) freeway. The speed limit is 70 mph, and I'm driving at about 73. I'm beginning to creep up behind the guy in front me, so I slip into the left lane, to pass. Since I'm driving only slightly faster than the other guy (and because people tend to wake up, and increase speed, when you start to go around them) it may take me a mile or two to get around this guy. Even if I speed up to 75 or 76. This is when people like to come along and start tail-gating.

A 5mph speed differential is about 7.3fps, so passing a typical car should take less than 3 seconds.  Allowing a full car length in front and back, that's still only 9 seconds from pulling out to pulling back in.  If you're going a mile or two in 9 seconds, I want your car.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 06:06:35 PM »
I dislike people who drive below the limit in the left hand lane - in high school, I came that close to putting a paintball gun behind the grill of my car to deal with them; the problem with getting paintballs filled with the right stuff to eat off their paint was the show stopper.  (In hindsight, that was probably a good thing for me.)

On the other hand, in some places - notably major roads in and around Austin, TX (including I-35) - keeping vehicles out of the left hand lane EXCEPT to pass would effectively cut the highway's traffic capacity by a third to a half.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 06:07:41 PM »
One car length? I never get within 6 or 7 at speed if I can help it
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 06:11:13 PM »
I dislike people who drive below the limit in the left hand lane - in high school, I came that close to putting a paintball gun behind the grill of my car to deal with them; the problem with getting paintballs filled with the right stuff to eat off their paint was the show stopper.  (In hindsight, that was probably a good thing for me.)

Almost as irritating are the ones who tailgate for miles in the right lane.  I so wanted to refit the rear window washer on my old wagon with tubing resistant to Klean Strip, and turn it to just mist behind me.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2014, 06:26:53 PM »
If it wasn't so situationally a bad idea, I would make using cruise control mandatory on the highway.  It gets tiresome when my cruise is set at 75 and I pass and get passed by the same guy multiple times.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2014, 06:35:47 PM »
If it wasn't so situationally a bad idea, I would make using cruise control mandatory on the highway.  It gets tiresome when my cruise is set at 75 and I pass and get passed by the same guy multiple times.

I hate that as well.  I hate it on the flats, where I end up having to turn it off and on a bunch when someone is in front of me and varying their speed +-10MPH (usually on a phone), and I hate it in hilly areas where someone with a weak engine passes me doing 75MPH on the downhill, but then can't make more than 45MPH on the uphill. Then the next time they pass me on a downhill, they give me a dirty look like I'm the bad driver, when I've been set on 65 the whole time.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2014, 07:41:27 PM »
Here in Oklahoma around town it is usually 65 and if you do that you're going to get run over.  Usually run 75 most of the time on my main route to and from work.  Get outside of the city and the speed limit jumps to 75 and then you can easily do 80 and be safe because there is always that one or two that will run interference for you. >:D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 07:52:55 PM »
I hate that as well.  I hate it on the flats, where I end up having to turn it off and on a bunch when someone is in front of me and varying their speed +-10MPH (usually on a phone), and I hate it in hilly areas where someone with a weak engine passes me doing 75MPH on the downhill, but then can't make more than 45MPH on the uphill. Then the next time they pass me on a downhill, they give me a dirty look like I'm the bad driver, when I've been set on 65 the whole time.

if you were driving around here about 14 years ago and passed and then got passed by a red ford sprint on the hilly part of 64, that was me. :P

and yes, I did get annoyed at the other drivers. I had to get as fast as I could going down the hills to make it up the next one at any kind of reasonable speed. :lol:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2014, 08:07:04 PM »
Try dealing with people who do that when there are no hills. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2014, 08:15:33 PM »
I find it odd that we complain the most about speed limits for the type of road where speed limits are highest. It's the surface roads where speed limits really need to be raised.

I'm still trying to figure out how you people want me to drive, when I'm in the far left lane of a freeway. Let's say I'm in the right lane, on a four-lane (2 lanes each way) freeway. The speed limit is 70 mph, and I'm driving at about 73. I'm beginning to creep up behind the guy in front me, so I slip into the left lane, to pass. Since I'm driving only slightly faster than the other guy (and because people tend to wake up, and increase speed, when you start to go around them) it may take me a mile or two to get around this guy. Even if I speed up to 75 or 76. This is when people like to come along and start tail-gating.

I get the impression that people think you're supposed to go around the right-lane driver immediately, which in many cases means going ten or fifteen miles over the speed limit. I just checked the "Driver's Guide" for my state, and it specifically says not to exceed the speed limit while passing on a freeway. Personally, I've had enough speeding tickets. They are only getting more expensive, and I'm not getting another one.

And I still don't understand why the person who wants to break the speed limit is the good guy, and the guy driving at (or slightly above) the speed limit is the one who's the problem.  =|

IMO, yes you should go fast enough to pass them in a reasonable time.  Please also make an effort to not to suddenly pass right in front of that guy that has been approaching in the left lane for the last mile.  That is irritating. 

You should account for the fact that you might inadvertently slow down a bit or that the car in front of you will almost always speed up a little when you try to pass.  These two things happen so often here it is frustrating.  That is usually why it takes you longer to pass.

I don't even consider myself a fast driver.  I get passed all the time by many going faster.  Just above average I guess.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2014, 09:00:49 PM »
Yeah, that and the guy that drives 66 2/3 mph regardless of whether the speed limit is 75 or 35 (construction zone).  ;/

... and I hate it in hilly areas where someone with a weak engine passes me doing 75MPH on the downhill, but then can't make more than 45MPH on the uphill. Then the next time they pass me on a downhill, they give me a dirty look like I'm the bad driver, when I've been set on 65 the whole time.
If that guy is driving an old Autocar semi-truck pulling a gas tanker, don't piss him off  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2014, 09:04:32 PM »
the car in front of you will almost always speed up a little

The aholes that see you trying to pass and decide to stomp on the gas to try to block you are the reason I have a V8 in the truck.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2014, 09:19:50 PM »
If that guy is driving an old Autocar semi-truck pulling a gas tanker, don't piss him off  =D

Hey, I don't mind it when the laden trucks do it. I expect it on the uphill, and I don't think I've ever had one riding 6" off my tail on the downhill.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2014, 09:25:24 PM »
The aholes that see you trying to pass and decide to stomp on the gas to try to block you are the reason I have a V8 in the truck.

I love it when people try to do that to me when I'm in my F250. They seem to think a big truck will be left in the dust. Turbocharged diesel is impressive for a fast pass though.  =D

I don't see people do that too much on one lane roads, except, and it bugs me that much more, when there's a short passing lane. Then they floor it till the lane ends and go back to puttering along on the stretch where it's more dangerous to pass them.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2014, 09:32:20 PM »
Hey, I don't mind it when the laden trucks do it. I expect it on the uphill, and I don't think I've ever had one riding 6" off my tail on the downhill.

But you've seen that Dennis Weaver movie, right?   ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2014, 09:36:07 PM »

Oh, I forgot all about that! But I did see it, many moons ago.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2014, 09:38:59 PM »

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2014, 10:11:22 PM »
Yeah, that and the guy that drives 66 2/3 mph regardless of whether the speed limit is 75 or 35 (construction zone).  ;/

I see what you did there!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2014, 10:49:22 PM »
A 5mph speed differential is about 7.3fps, so passing a typical car should take less than 3 seconds.  Allowing a full car length in front and back, that's still only 9 seconds from pulling out to pulling back in.  If you're going a mile or two in 9 seconds, I want your car.

If the car is traveling that much more slowly than I am, then obviously there would be no problem.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2014, 11:56:06 PM »
My favofite o e us when I'm speeding along at  80, and I see someone coming g up on me fast...I move over to the right lane at about the time they are up on my rear bumper, then I have to slow down to match traffic in the slow lane.... then I notice that speed demon is now going 5-10 mph slower than I was- too chicken to be the lead car doing 25 over.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2014, 01:02:39 AM »

I remember driving down to L.A. for a contract job back in '09.  On a lonely stretch of I-5, south of the Bay area, some chick in a red sedan zoomed past me.  I probably had the cruise set for 73mph or thereabouts.  She had to have been going well over 90.  Maybe 15-20 minutes later I zoomed past her.  She was maybe going 55.  No change in speed limits in that stretch, and no adverse weather or terrain.  Anyway, maybe 20 minutes later she zooms by me again.  This cycle repeated itself for several hours.  I never took the truck of cruise control and therefore was doing a steady 73-ish that whole time.
Formerly sumpnz

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2014, 06:36:31 AM »
Oregon is particularly stupid about this. There are lots of places, particularly in Eastern Oregon, where 65 or 70mph speed limits would be appropriate, but the maximum for highways is 55. Nobody really goes that slow, but nobody wants to change it, either.  ;/

At least you can go 65 on the freeways...though 75 would still be perfectly safe.

The Oregon legislature has directed ODOT on more than one occasion to review and raise speed limits where appropriate on Oregon highways.  ODOT has both ignored the legislature or told them to pound sand.  Seems the nanny statists are in firm control at ODOT.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:44:54 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2014, 07:15:46 AM »
Saw a new one this morning on my way in to work.... I've seen drunks before on the freeway, but this is the worst I've seen, I would have dialed 911, but my phone was off, and I didn't want to take my eyes off the road for a second with the erratic driver near me. :mad:

There was a woman on the freeway this morning who had to have been drunk. I was in the left lane on hwy45 going about 70 and came up to a car doing about 50. The car was jerking all over the road and across the next lane, almost hitting the wall and about a 1/2 dozen cars in the mile or so I was behind it. I finally got enough room in the lane right of me to pass, I looked back when the car was about 1/4 mile behind me and I saw a whole row of brake lights in the left lane with no traffic coming up from the left lane for the next mile- I'm guessing that she ran into someone or finally hit the wall.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2014, 09:13:40 AM »
My favofite o e us when I'm speeding along at  80, and I see someone coming g up on me fast...I move over to the right lane at about the time they are up on my rear bumper, then I have to slow down to match traffic in the slow lane.... then I notice that speed demon is now going 5-10 mph slower than I was- too chicken to be the lead car doing 25 over.
I see that quite often.  Usually they go away when someone faster comes along giving them someone else to follow. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2014, 09:14:50 AM »
I remember driving down to L.A. for a contract job back in '09.  On a lonely stretch of I-5, south of the Bay area, some chick in a red sedan zoomed past me.  I probably had the cruise set for 73mph or thereabouts.  She had to have been going well over 90.  Maybe 15-20 minutes later I zoomed past her.  She was maybe going 55.  No change in speed limits in that stretch, and no adverse weather or terrain.  Anyway, maybe 20 minutes later she zooms by me again.  This cycle repeated itself for several hours.  I never took the truck of cruise control and therefore was doing a steady 73-ish that whole time.
Cell phone?