Author Topic: Speed Queen washer not so good?  (Read 853 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Speed Queen washer not so good?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 02:48:41 PM »
I thought Speed Queen made old fashioned front loaders with the small porthole, like a White-Westinghouse.  (I have a Frigidaire like that now)
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 03:14:30 PM »
They aren't modern in design, but will outlast a whole trash heap of modern washers.
Fun fact: Speed Queen stopped making wringer washers about 15 years ago- there was still a large overseas market for them.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 06:54:13 PM »
Can't speak to the model reviewed,  but we bought ours since it was the only thing on the market with oldschool mechanical controls.  Got almost 20 years on the clock for the Maytag washer sitting next to it that's been relegated to barn laundry.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 09:14:37 PM »
Ok Speed Queen was an Amana brand when I got into doing service. It was a beast like the old maytags. At the time Amana had a very good washer also the only difference and that depended on model was the Speed Queen had two belts and the Amana had one.

Along comes Maytag to buy Amana. The Feds said you can't have all the brands so Speed Queen turned into Alliance. Still the same washer as made years ago. Maytag took the Amana and cross bred it with and Admiral/Maytag and gave us a big box store washer that was lucky to make it out of warranty without needing major repairs. Alliance stuck with the old Speed Queen top load and it was still a beast.

Enter Whilpool wanting to buy Maytag. they had enough pull to get all of the brands Maytag had. I think an Asian buyer put in a higher bid but got shot down. Whirlpool took Amana down a little farther but you could still buy a Speed Queen.

Now today I only have one commercial Speed Queen I still service. The most common problem with it is that the pump will only eat so many nails, screws, pens and pencils and live ammo before it gives up. (Why does the laundry mat washer never have coins in the pump but all the front load richer people's pumps are always loaded with them?)

I just replaced a pump and pump belt last month in it. The third time in six years. If you see what I take out of it you would wonder how it lasts a month I was informed by my supplier that they have stopped production of this pump. Not sure if he ment alliance or whirlpool but it is a sad day for a beast of a washer.

It might not clean as well but if you want to buy a very tough washer get the Speed Queen. (Don't wash sand filled clothes all the time. Like beach stuff or horse blankets. The seal is very strong but has a weakness to the sand grinding it away.)

Jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 10:54:49 PM »
When I moved here 14 years ago, I bought the cheapest Whirlpool washer and dryer set I could find. Figured they would last a few years and I'd replace them with something better when something major breaks. So far I've bypassed the lid switch on the washer when it broke and they are still going.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 10:03:42 AM »
When I moved here 14 years ago, I bought the cheapest Whirlpool washer and dryer set I could find. Figured they would last a few years and I'd replace them with something better when something major breaks. So far I've bypassed the lid switch on the washer when it broke and they are still going.

Kind of the same, I have a 16 year old mechanical control whirlpool washer that is kicking butt.  Only repair was I washed a pillow and the washer ate it, stuffing clogged the drain pump and it burned out.  Easy replacement.  The matching dryer died last year, all the bearings were shot so the drum was out of alignment and it was ruining clothes.  Replaced with a speed queen dryer.