Author Topic: Will see the ADT rep tomorrow...  (Read 5030 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Will see the ADT rep tomorrow...
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 01:42:34 PM »
Also, those steps buy YOU time if you happen to be home.  Buying you even 30 seconds can be a major difference.

11 seconds is the difference between sitting up in bed with a 1911 and in the closet racking a 00 magnum into the Mossberg for me.  Most of the delay is the code lock on the closet, but I can work it left handed to keep the 1911 ready.  From the other end of the house, 13 seconds is the difference between my .357 snub and racking a 000 magnum into the Norinco.  30 seconds would be enough time to seriously consider using the M44's bayonet to save my ears.

I wonder...would the burglar be considered an unregistered suppressor if I drove the bayonet in until muzzle contact, then pulled the trigger?  IMO, it would be really stretching definitions to say I would possess said suppressor under those conditions, so would him being a suppressor constitute an NFA violation for him?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 03:09:30 PM »
You don't think thieves will look behind the door?

When my house was broken into back in March, the thieves found my pistol safe between the bed and nightstand, but missed the gun cabinet in the deadspace created by the master bedroom and master bath doors.  If they saw it, they didn't even bother to look in the range bag on top.  I had left a couple revolvers in that from a trip a few days prior.

Also, in my case as well, they took mostly junk instead of nice stuff that was in plain view.

Chris

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 06:14:18 PM »
You are paying a lot of attention to the doors. I hope you are not neglecting the most likely entry point, the windows. Look especially at those that are out of view from the street and/or your neighbors. If you have a sliding door, be sure to put sensors on the glass for breakage and motion. PIN the door in place with removable pins so it can't be raised out of the tracks or pried open enough to pop those latches that are so inherently weak anyway.

Drilling and pinning windows is a good plan as well and is cheap, quick, easy and hard to defeat without breaking glass. They make long "double headed" nails that look like push pins on steroids that work well for this. They are long enough to go through the inner window and well into the outer window frame and leave a small "head" to remove/insert them with. A crook would have to bust the glass and then feel around for them after unlocking the normal latch(s) buying time and increasing aggravation.

Garages/washrooms. There is generally a flimsy door connecting the house to the garage/washroom. That door MUST be a very strong one because, once the robber is in the garage/washroom, they are out of sight and can get a violent as they want in tearing through that inner door. Most garage doors are VERY easy to defeat and gain entrance through. Look at that as well.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 08:28:42 AM »
First mods are in, 2x double tumbler deadbolts (one "east and west", one "north and south") in all entry doors but the French doors from the MBR onto the deck.  Ornamental iron security doors for that one are being fabbed as we speak, should be in by Friday.  Got the ADT "Pulse" package, which incorporates a lot of automation for the house, including thermostat, and allows us to manage it and view video or live feed from teh Interwebz. Even got a tricksy that will allow me to open the garage door remotely.  Very, very remotely.  How cool is that?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 02:31:09 PM »
Sounds like a good setup.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!