Author Topic: Recommend a Good American Whiskey  (Read 4954 times)

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: Recommend a Good American Whiskey
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
Oh, if the APS ladies could make a suggestion for what to get Mama-san, I be much obliged.  =D

I suggest music. I believe a small selection of "Pure Moods" or "Smooth Groove"-type CDs would be nice and soothing.
She could listen to them anytime and anywhere she chose, there's bound to be a song or two she'd like and it avoids the headache of trying to buy her clothes, food or drink.

I'll bet you expected me to suggest shoes. :P
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 11:33:43 PM »
I suggest music. I believe a small selection of "Pure Moods" or "Smooth Groove"-type CDs would be nice and soothing.
She could listen to them anytime and anywhere she chose, there's bound to be a song or two she'd like and it avoids the headache of trying to buy her clothes, food or drink.

I'll bet you expected me to suggest shoes. :P

Chicago=Blues... figure it from there.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brasshammer

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 01:02:07 PM »

Back when I could drink, my favorite liquor was bourbon.
 I must have tried everything on the market at least 12 or 13 times. :rolleyes:

While some may disagree, I think Weller Special Reserve aka Old Weller is the smoothest, tastiest, least bitenest nectar of the grains.

Before I discovered that a couple of fingers of Old Weller and 2 ice cubes was the epitome of a good drink, I drank it with water.
One of my favorite waterin holes (Yesterday's in Bryan, TX) had a barkeep that told me one time "Tim, I'll serve you all the Weller and water you want but when you come up and order a Waller and wetter, I'm gonna cut you off." :|

Lbys

• This cone is the ultimate power in the universe.
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 02:06:18 PM »
Second the Maker's Mark recommendation.  It's the only bourbon I know that uses wheat instead of rye in their mash bill, which I think makes a smoother taste.  A 1L (or even 1.75 L) handle might make a really nice gift, with an accompanying handwritten note explaining the history of bourbon and the Franco-American linkage.  Woodford Reserve is also a nice one.  Blanton's Single Barrel has a bottle worthy of presentation, but I'm not too hot on it as a sipping whiskey.

For the wife, if you can gather some photos (as referenced in your previous thread), or even one good one of your exchange student and whole family in front of something in Chicago (it wasn't clear if you would be accompanying her on any of the Chicago trips)--something like the Sears Tower observation deck, the Picasso sculpture downtown, maybe one of the park fountains or the "Welcome to Wrigley Field" sign--taken skillfully, enlarged, and framed, might make a nice keepsake.
Correlation does not indicate causation.

w turner

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2009, 09:39:06 PM »
JD Single Barrel
Knob Creek

These are my two choices for sippin whiskey.  JD black label is my everyday whiskey.

Myself

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2009, 12:04:46 AM »
Wild Turkey now makes a rye wiskey that is worth checking out.  There single barrel is pritty good also.