Author Topic: How to be Happy  (Read 2283 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
How to be Happy
« on: May 18, 2009, 09:52:22 PM »
Happiness Is ... Being Old, Male and Republican

Robert Roy Britt
Editorial Director
LiveScience.com
Sat May 16, 9:56 am ET

Americans grow happier as they age, surveys find. And a new Pew Research Center survey shows the tendency is holding up as the economy tanks.

Happiness is a complex thing. Past studies have found that happiness is partly inherited, that Republicans are happier than Democrats, and that old men tend to be happier than old women.

And even before the economy got nasty, seniors were found to be generally happier than Baby Boomers. Some of that owes to the American Dream being lived by past generations, while Boomers work two jobs and watch the dream whither.

In times like this, it's clear how age can have its advantages. While not all seniors are weathering the recession well, for many the impact is much less severe than it is for younger people.

more at
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090516/sc_livescience/happinessisbeingoldmaleandrepublican
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

grampster

• friend
Re: How to be Happy
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:00:05 PM »
I'll testify to that. =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 10:53:09 PM »
In 20 years or so I should just be a regular ray of @&*^%# sunshine.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:57:52 PM »
:)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 11:01:27 PM »

RKL -

I'll just add my third to Grapmster's & HTG's affirmatives.  If the three of us get any happier they'll have to pass a law against us old farts.  Even El Teon will mellow out with age and stop yelling at the kids on his lawn - but he'll be doing it from the couch on his porch. =D

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 11:10:18 PM »
I'm dying to hear a bunch of young liberals get howling mad about how wrong this study is.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 11:53:22 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 11:20:55 PM »
Me'n Swmbo just bought a couple of wicker rocknchairs, thick cushions and a wicker table to hold the wine glasses as we sit on the deck looking out over the lake 'n soakin' up the sunshine.  Paid cash for the chairs, neighbor makes the wine, so it's free.  Inflation will push up the yield on the CD's to 15-20%, no debt.  What's not to be happy about?  Hey, we're too old to worry about Obama's debt. =D

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 11:42:47 PM »

I'll bet you will be; just in case you're not, however, I'm shining extra brightly.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 09:25:19 AM »
As for me? I'm so happy I could just sh*t.

But then, I'm gettin' very close to that 'senior' discount age.

Almost no debt. Good health (especially for my age!). Good family. Why the hell shouldn't I be happy?

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 10:54:42 AM »
I'm pretty darn happy. I think experiencing actual hardship and pain helps one appreciate life. I don't have all the little gim-cracks and knick-knacks so many people my age do, but in about three days we'll be totally out of debt with several months of emergency fund socked away. I still live in a G-D M-F'ing apartment, but when we do get a house it'll be with the knowledge we won't be forced to short-sell to the tune of $88k like some friends of ours in AZ. I've got a bad back, bad knees, and weak lungs but I can live with the limits they impose.

I could go on, but I suppose my point is that far too many people from the Boomers on are whiny little bitches who need to stfu and enjoy what they have.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 12:26:39 PM »
I am in my 50's and so mad I could spit like a cat. And throw up a hairball. I see the greatest country on earth, the USA, which my ancestors came to 1635 and bled for, being turned into a commie re-education camp .

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 12:46:27 PM »
I'm happy.

I've got a good, reasonably well paying job, my wife has a job, I'm married to the woman I love, my 4-br, 2-bath home will be paid for in 14 years, I have two dogs who love to see me, I've got a fun car and the tools to work on it, great, amazing, loving parents, and a college degree.

All of this, and I'm only 23.

Yea, life is good!

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 12:54:23 PM »
I think one of the reason younger people aren't as happy is that there's so much more materialism now than there used to be. So many people tie their happiness to having a brand new house, a shiny car, and all the latest toys. This need to have the most and the best stuff leaves a lot of people feeling totally unfulfilled.

Older people are happier, in my estimation, because they've learned that happiness isn't about stuff. It's about the relationships that you have, the hobbies you enjoy, and the difference that you make in the lives of others. Part of that is cultural and generational, but part of it just comes with age and maturity.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 01:03:42 PM »
Older people are happier, in my estimation, because they've learned that happiness isn't about stuff. It's about the relationships that you have, the hobbies you enjoy, and the difference that you make in the lives of others. Part of that is cultural and generational, but part of it just comes with age and maturity.

I think that's true.

However, it also has to do with security.

One commonality amongst nearly all humans is they are risk-averse. (Those few who are not we consider insane).

Because of that, older people are more likely to be happy because their lives are far less risky than those of the younger generation: more likely to own a home, more likely to either be retired or have a good amount of job security.

However, this will only explain the differences between younger people and older people. Why are older republicans more likely to be happy than democrats? NOW we are getting to the people who have learned to be satisfied with what they have.

Also of note: Republicans (conservatives) are far more likely to give to charity. People who give to charity are ALSO far more likely to be happy. Older Republicans, being older, will tend to give more money to charity than younger Republicans (due to increased wealth) and, being Republican will tend to give more money to charity than older Democrats (who, although richer than even the older Republicans, are far less likely to give to charity.)

So, we have another correlation: those who give the most money to charity tend to be happier.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 01:07:28 PM »
All very good points. I agree completely.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 01:33:49 PM »
old men tend to be happier than old women.

Well yeah.  Old women have to put up with old men.   :laugh:
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Iain

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 02:05:56 PM »
BryanP - heh.

But seriously - why are old men happier than old women?
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 02:18:43 PM »
BryanP - heh.

But seriously - why are old men happier than old women?

I can venture a guess:

Security (again).

Older men have reached a point in their lives where there are fewer unknowns to worry them.

Many older women still have to worry about the chance their husband might drop them for a "younger model". Because our society no longer honors committment, women no longer have the ensured stability in their family.

As such, fewer older women are happy than older men. (Of note, also, is that men tend to do much better after divorce than women do.)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zahc

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 02:20:44 PM »
However, it also has to do with security.

Probably. It is said that youth is wasted on the young; as a 20-something I can't help but feel that the corollary is that wealth is wasted on the old.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Iain

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 04:29:36 PM »
Also then, why do men do better after divorce than women?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 04:33:02 PM »
Also then, why do men do better after divorce than women?

That's going to take a little while for me to find the study. I recall reading it, but I have no idea where or when.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 04:48:43 PM »
Ok, I am interested, I am driving at something in my mind as well. Funny the things you think about at the gym.

The article states that the happiest people are older, male , Republicans. It strikes me that all this is saying is that the people most at peace with the establishment are the establishment. That society works best for those who it works best for.

The women angle is not because I think Western society is inherently terribly sexist (these days). Your explanation is perfectly credible, but I'd posit that the gender inequality in this study may well even out in the next few decades if your explanation is correct. Couples my age both usually work, sometimes they come into the relationship with two homes and keep both, renting one out. In the future women may be financially more secure - and I wonder if that becomes relevant to post-divorce happiness, or even the likelihood of being the one who trades partners..

It's interesting. Security seems to be the key as you say, but according to the article that doesn't explain the political allegiances side of it.

I do wonder if Democrats might be happier in these polls had they been in govt for the last 8 years, any ideas when this poll was taken? If it was before the Obama-miracle then there's your answer ;) - edit - the original Dem/Rep poll - http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/060315_happiness_pew.html  - was conducted in 2006. It's Bush's fault.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 04:52:04 PM by Iain »