Author Topic: Poor Logic and Journalism-Teil Drei.  (Read 1572 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Poor Logic and Journalism-Teil Drei.
« on: March 02, 2013, 12:39:54 PM »
New car loans going past 60 days delinquent is good thing  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Find the logical fallacy in this story.*

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/why-more-late-payments-on-auto-loans-are-actually-a-good-thing-212545792.html

*Spoiler Alert:  Maybe the loans are going 60 days delinquent because the economy still sucks and is getting worse. ;/ ;/

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Poor Logic and Journalism-Teil Drei.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »
The *expletive deleted*ck? Thats what you get for reading Yahoo "news" articles. Well that and I could rant about people's obsessions with "gotta always have a new car" which is one of the reasons we are in this *expletive deleted*ing mess...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 02:25:08 PM »
I was thinking poor research also.  If the loans are delinquent 60 days, that means whatever increase in new car sales the author is imagining would be on the books and available to prove or disprove this imaginary theory.  But, I guess that would mean the idea might be disproved and the author couldn't think of anything else to write about and is probably under orders to NOT say anything bad about the economy.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 02:35:52 PM »
Building the economy on the smoking ruins of poor financial choices?  Sounds familiar.

Oh, and I paid off my car in January.  I guess that makes me a sucker.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 04:16:44 PM »
Oh the horror! Americans can't afford to buy new cars!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cars-increasingly-reach-many-americans-145957880.html

Jesus Christ.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 04:37:40 PM »
I've never been able to afford a new car.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 04:47:36 PM »
I see an awrul lot of beemers and not that many rio's at all in Tampa.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 08:43:49 PM »
There ought to be a bunch of good used cars hitting the market coming from the New England area about now.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 09:21:14 AM »
There ought to be a bunch of good used cars hitting the market coming from the New England area about now.

Recently washed, inside and out.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 03:53:18 PM »

I've never been able to afford a new car.

Of course, that didn't stop me from actually buying four of them over a lifetime.

The first two new cars we bought were repo'd in the Great BK 11 of 1991 (right after the Great Soft Economy of 1990).

The other two we actually managed to keep.  One (a T&C van) was traded for a used version a few years in, and that used van (which we should have kept) was traded for a new Durango.  We actually paid off the Durango, and still have it, nine years later.

We have sworn to each other that we will never buy another new car.  More exactly, we have elected to never have another car payment.  If I can pay cash for something, then I might consider "new," but not if there's a car payment.

I drilled that into the kids, and each of my kids have nonetheless bought one new car.  Oldest daughter:  bought, and paid off quickly, a new Saturn, back when those were still being made.  Son:  bought a new Subaru WRX, paid it off in about six months.  Youngest daughter:  bought a Honda Accord.  She's currently coming to the realization that a "good job" with a good wage is not a long-term promise, while a purchase contract on a new car, on the other hand, IS a long-term promise.  The job fell through when the company closed its local branch, and the economy where she is sucks more than most other places.  She'll wind up giving the car back.  And we'll wind up buying her a plane ticket.

Car payments are evil.  Save up.  Pay cash.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 11:11:33 PM »
Car payments are Debt is evil.  Save up.  Pay cash.

FTFY

I'll be totally debt free at the end of the month, I intend to stay that way. The only possible exception might be if I can get a shot at the 40 acres to the west of me that is for sale, and even that will be close to a year out if it's still on the market.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 01:10:39 AM »
Normally I'd agree, but I think I did fine.  5.9% interest rate, 60 month loan, $3k down, $214/month, about $16,000 total for my '06 Focus ST.  Now it's mine.  Seems reasonable to me.

Of course, now that I have the title, I'm going to drive it into the ground.  I hope to get another 6-8 years out of it, barring a major mechanical failure.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 10:23:06 AM »
There was a personal finance guy on the radio some years back that always said if you can't afford to pay off a car in 2 to 3 years, you shouldn't get it.  I would have been better off financially when I got out of college had I listened to that advice.  I could have kept driving the POS S-10 pickup I was using in college or bought something much cheaper/more practical than I did.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 11:31:01 AM »
I think I understand the logic.

They assume that delinquent loans expand at an equal rate to that of general auto purchase. In that case, if, say, 10% of autoloans are delinquent, and we moved from 10 to 20 delinquent loans in a year, we probably moved up from 100 to 200 auto sales. Indeed even if the rate is not equal at all times, as long as it also points to an increase in general purchases large enough to cover the lender's losses and allow him to have a profit, all is good.

But is this the case?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner