Author Topic: Start Loading up the Buses in Hollyweird  (Read 1027 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Start Loading up the Buses in Hollyweird
« on: August 06, 2007, 04:24:16 PM »
This could be a great trend.... rolleyes grin

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070806/people_nm/sudan_darfur_farrow_dc

Mia Farrow has offered her freedom in exchange for that of a respected Darfur rebel figure, virtually imprisoned for more than 13 months, in a letter to Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sudan Liberation Army (SLA) Humanitarian Coordinator Suleiman Jamous has been confined to a U.N. hospital in Kordofan, neighboring Darfur, since the United Nations moved him there without permission last year.

He needs a stomach biopsy which cannot be performed there.

Khartoum said if he left he would be arrested, but has said it is open to talks on his release.

"Before his seizure, Mr. Jamous played a crucial role in bringing the SLA to the negotiating table and in seeking reconciliation between its divided rival factions," Farrow said in the letter dated August 5.

"I am therefore offering to take Mr. Jamous's place, to exchange my freedom for his in the knowledge of his importance to the civilians of Darfur and in the conviction that he will apply his energies toward creating the just and lasting peace that the Sudanese people deserve and hope for."

Farrow, who was once married to Frank Sinatra, is a goodwill ambassador to the U.N. children's agency UNICEF and has visited Darfur twice. She has 15 children, 11 of them adopted.

International experts estimate 200,000 have died and 2.5 million been driven from their homes in more than four years of fighting in Sudan's remote west.

Since an AU-mediated peace deal signed last year by only one of three rebel negotiating factions, the movements have split into more than a dozen factions.

U.N. Darfur envoy Jan Eliasson and his African Union counterpart Salim Ahmed Salim said they had asked for Jamous's release to help with the peace process they are leading. This weekend they brought key commanders and factions together to thrash out a common position ahead of renewed peace talks.

But the large SLA-Unity faction had said they would not participate if Jamous was not freed and allowed to attend.

The talks in Tanzania will end on Monday.

Remember all those actors (One of the Baldwin brothers comes to mind) who promised to leave the US if Bush were re-elected.  Here's you chance to put you money where your mouth is. I'd trade a bunch of rebels for a gaggle of Hollyweird windbags in a heartbeat.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Antibubba

• friend
Re: Start Loading up the Buses in Hollyweird
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 08:23:41 PM »
The problem is, those actors think they're more valuable than they really are.

But I'll give them Sean Penn for free.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 12:30:52 AM »
We'd probably wind up paying those countries to keep them.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 08:15:20 AM »
So... MF hasn't had any publicity in what ... 20 or 30 years?  Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 08:58:33 AM »
Mia got some press when Woody ran off with her adopted daughter. Not the press she would have liked, I assume...
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 11:47:13 AM »

But I'll give them Sean Penn for free.

Isn't he hanging out with his best buddy, Hugo Chavez?
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.