Author Topic: Well, what do you know...there ARE guns on the street!  (Read 7216 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Well, what do you know...there ARE guns on the street!
« on: November 25, 2008, 12:10:10 PM »
Oops: Member of SWAT team forgets rifle near scene of standoff

A member of the Salt Lake County SWAT team left a loaded M4 rifle near the scene of a standoff Friday in White City, Utah.

The Tribune says a "veteran" member of the tactical unit forgot his or her weapon in someone's front yard.

Deseret News reports that a jogger found the rifle about two hours after officers left the scene.

"It's a terrible mistake," Salt Lake County Sheriff's Deputy Levi Hughes tells the paper. "For this to happen one time is unacceptable. The public expects more out of us than this. We're going to take every step possible so that this never happens again."

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/11/oops-member-of.html

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Well, what do you know...there ARE guns on the street!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 12:13:26 PM »
Alright, who would have kept it?  What would you do if you came across this situation?

I'd be leery of keeping such a things, since it's likely full auto, and was likely discarded after usage in some crime.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 12:26:59 PM »
Hmmm, I have some PVC on hand......

How about 2 S's  ??

Shovel and Shut-up......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 12:31:24 PM »
Why don't I ever find neat stuff like this?  =(

(Wonder how many they lose . . . and don't recover?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 12:31:38 PM »
I admit it, I'm a wussie.  If I saw something like that in my front yard, the instant I saw it had Da Switch(tm) I wouldn't even touch it.  I'd be on the phone to the police telling them to come get their toys.  
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 12:33:47 PM »
I admit it, I'm a wussie.  If I saw something like that in my front yard, the instant I saw it had Da Switch(tm) I wouldn't even touch it.  I'd be on the phone to the police telling them to come get their toys. 

Well, you don't want to touch anything that's got the 10-year-prison switch on the thing, no. But I suspect many shooters might have a tax rebate in the form of a free ACOG (they paid for it anyway!) or the like before calling it in. Because, you know, that must have fallen off and was never found? ;)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 12:54:43 PM »
Do most SWAT teams really use NFA versions of the M4? Regardless, I'd be doing some PVC pipe shopping if a cop left a gun in my yard.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 01:07:31 PM »
I know what would have happened if I did such a thing while on Uncle Sam's payroll.

I wonder what will happen to THIS guy?

==============

As to what I'd do if I found it...I'd report it, of course.   :angel:

FTR, I report every source of income, even pennies I find discarded on the street.   :angel:   :angel:
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Owens

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 01:31:47 PM »
Me...
Secure it (having daswitch or not) call them to come get their toys. It's just the right thing to do.
Give a little hell over it? sure.
Life Member NRA, TSRA

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 01:45:21 PM »
Me...
Secure it (having daswitch or not) call them to come get their toys. It's just the right thing to do.
Give a little hell over it? sure.

Now, "secure it" I would not do before calling. It'd stay on the grass, that's their problem.

Take it inside?

"Hello, police, I found your machine gun. What? Oh, I have it right here in my hous..."

*CRASH* POLICEGETONTHEFLOORGETDOWNNOWGETONTHEFLOOR! *thump* *handcuff*

"You are accused of stealing a weapon prohibited from unlicensed possession by the national firearms act. How plead you?"

No.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 01:47:16 PM »
What if I dressed up a manikin in a SWAT uniform and armor and spray painted "Now I have a machine gun ho ho ho" on it? 

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 01:50:57 PM »
Someone I know, errrr, a good friend, left a Ruger 22/45 on the hitch of his SUV one morning years ago.  He drove to a coffee shop before the range and looked down and there was a Ruger 22/45.

Good thing I, er, he did not hit any potholes!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 01:56:25 PM »
I admit it, I'm a wussie.  If I saw something like that in my front yard, the instant I saw it had Da Switch(tm) I wouldn't even touch it.  I'd be on the phone to the police telling them to come get their toys.  

I'd clear it and secure it so that it doesn't kill any innocent passerbys or cause any school shootings, call the media to come and be there as my witness, and the police to come and recover it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 02:18:02 PM »
...a "veteran" member of the tactical unit forgot his or her weapon in someone's front yard.

Only the police and military can be trusted with guns.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 02:39:40 PM »
Why don't I ever find neat stuff like this?  =(

My thoughts exactly.  The only stuff left in my front yard are cigarette butts and the occasional empty beer can.

(Yes, I have classy neighbors.)

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 02:50:49 PM »
My thoughts exactly.  The only stuff left in my front yard are cigarette butts and the occasional empty beer can.

(Yes, I have classy neighbors.)

My parents once found a stack of $50 bills next to their car in a supermarket parking lot. It was because someone had just robbed the bank, and there was money scattered all over. The cops didn't even thank my dad when he gave it to them, either.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 02:51:55 PM »
if I knew it was a swat gun, I would keep it.
My tax dollars paid for it.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 03:14:58 PM »
I'd probably put it behind the garbage can and put the mag under the can, then call the cops. I might take the upper off too if I knew how, just to bug them.

I'd probably do the same if I knew it was an illegal rifle. I don't want to go to jail.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 03:19:40 PM »
I'd probably put it behind the garbage can and put the mag under the can, then call the cops. I might take the upper off too if I knew how, just to bug them.

I'd probably do the same if I knew it was an illegal rifle. I don't want to go to jail.

Well, you could also just empty the mag and fill it with 5.56 blanks before calling the police, so when the armorer got it back, they'd yell at the cop who left it even more. (Or a cheap nonstandard mag loaded with Wolf, with the feedlips badly dented) Get them in even more trouble over the whole thing.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 03:30:07 PM »
Well, you could also just empty the mag and fill it with 5.56 blanks before calling the police

Then the cops who picked it up would notice. I have no reason for vengeance, I would just like to annoy them. I guess its a teenage thing. I don't like most authority. I might even take the mag inside so that no idiot kid would shoot themselves with the rifle.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 03:40:30 PM »
A good friend of errr, mine too left his High Standard sitting in the case on the ground right where I,,,errr, he put it in the range parking lot before forgetting to put it in the trunk of err, his car and driving off. After the mad dash that errr, he made back to retrieve it, miracles upon miracles there it was still sitting on the ground, in the dark in the middle of the empty lot. He was never ever more relieved than at that particular point in time.

=D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 03:56:44 PM »
What if I dressed up a manikin in a SWAT uniform and armor and spray painted "Now I have a machine gun ho ho ho" on it? 

Hans would be most displeased.
Look, tiny text!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 04:04:33 PM »
I think I would unload it and at least put it on my front porch.  There are too many kids playing around in my neighborhood.  I would call the police.  It is isn't worth it to me to risk that sort of penalty for possessing an illegal machine gun.  I could never be sure someone else hadn't already seen it or saw me pick it up.  Not worth it at all.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 05:03:20 PM »
I guess its a teenage thing. I don't like most authority

you are a teenager  its understandable  less so in a fortysomething guy who still has issues with his dad
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 05:44:56 PM »
Who is 40 something and has problems with their Dad? 

I would just look to make it safe and set it where some kid walking by wouldn't grab it.  If it was in a ditch somewhere away from my house, I probably would just leave it and call police. 

I guess I have some suspicion of authority as well, but no need to take it too far.  I wouldn't, say, take it inside my house and lock it in my safe after cleaning it.  That might give someone the idea that I was planning on keeping it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge