Author Topic: VASIMR Rocket: 39 days to Mars  (Read 7203 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: VASIMR Rocket: 39 days to Mars
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 10:15:28 AM »
Except that would be "noooculer", and we can't have that.   :facepalm:

Despite the protesters, it's not a huge issue.

New Horizons, Cassini, and Galileo and other RTG equipped probes were all launched despite the opposition. It's just the overall political will to make such a mission. When a mission that calls for a nuke gets funded, we'll have it. I'm not overly concerned about environmental activism blocking it.

The real reason is that the "little portable nuclear reactor" industry is just not one that talks about itself all that much.  :cool: Mainly because aside from outer Solar System missions the main consumers of RTG's and small self-contained reactors are nuclear submarines and spysats that don't want solar panels reflecting/giving away positions.   =D
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 10:46:33 AM »
"The Hunt for the Red Planet"

Seriously, the biggest problem that I can see is the lack of an operational shuttle system (we have never had one, IMO  =( )
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

PTK

• friends
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 10:47:15 AM »
AJ Dual

Polonium 210 is amazingly fun stuff, eh?  =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2010, 11:35:46 AM »
AJ Dual

Polonium 210 is amazingly fun stuff, eh?  =D

Especially in the old days when plumbers used to be able to buy a rod filled with it on the end of a long string, and wrap pipes in film stock to look for pinhole leaks.

Or that case where some hospital wanted to dispose of a drum of Cobalt 60 from an aging radiation machine, and just had the Janitor go abandon it in the back of an old pickup truck in the ghetto somewhere.  :-X
I promise not to duck.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2010, 11:51:45 AM »
With no moon large enough to stabilize it, its axis varies between 13 to 40 degrees, which would cause wild climate swings pretty much rendering it relatively  uninhabitable.

Just send a bunch of us Michiganders.  It'll feel like home for us.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2010, 12:08:41 PM »
i'd rather send the algore and it's buddies, they "could save the planet!". [popcorn]

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 02:29:52 PM »
What about the flux capacitor?  No one's mention the flux capacitor?  Geez people, get with the program...!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 02:53:17 PM »
SHHHH!! the chi-coms don't know aboot the flux capacitor, yet. :facepalm:

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 02:57:07 PM »
SHHHH!! the chi-coms don't know aboot the flux capacitor, yet. :facepalm:

Shame, too.  Once the Chinese get a hold of one, we'll be able to buy inferior copies at ridiculously low prices with a traditionally "American" brand name on em.  ;)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2010, 03:07:03 PM »
Flux capacitors are SciFi dream stuff.  We need Shipstones. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2010, 05:12:05 PM »
What about the flux capacitor?  No one's mention the flux capacitor?  Geez people, get with the program...!

Brad

See my reply #19.

The cook cut the wires already.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2010, 05:13:27 PM »
Flux capacitors are SciFi dream stuff.  We need Shipstones. 

Yes, we do.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.