Author Topic: Effects of nuclear weapons on tanks  (Read 7246 times)

Snowdog

• friend
Effects of nuclear weapons on tanks
« on: May 01, 2010, 06:44:56 PM »
I have a couple quick questions due to a discussion a coworker and I had earlier today.

During the cold war, did the US (or NATO) ever consider using tactical (or any kind of) nuclear weapons against a potential blitzkrieg of Soviet tanks if the USSR attempted to overrun Europe?

Here's the other question:  If a column of Soviet tanks (of T-64 and T-72 main battle tanks, for example) were dealt with by use of nuclear weapons, outside the residual effects of radiation on the crew, how effective would this desperate measure be? 

My coworker was under the impression that any tank within 2 miles of a 20 kt blast would be rendered useless, whereas I suspect perhaps only the tanks within a couple hundred yards would be mechanically "destroyed" whereas the tank crews would be the weak link for tanks outside that range (possible injured or killed by overpressure).  If the crew were later replaced, I believe most tanks would be more or less operable with only superficial damage.

I've seen video footage of the effect of a nearby nuclear blast against unarmored vehicles such as jeeps, buses and 2.5 ton trucks and the damage was impressive. However, I've never seen such tests involving armored vehicles and tanks.

I'm currently Googling this, but I'm aware there are quite a few knowledgeable folks here that might have some answers. 

Thanks!

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Effects of nuclear weapons on tanks
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 06:46:04 PM »
Soviet manuals definitely assume fighting in a situation where both sides use tacnukes. If there is interest, I will post quotes/drawings from these manuals.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 06:51:21 PM »
I don't know how serious the US military was about using tacnukes should the Ruskies invade western Europe, but they built a weapons system called the M65 Recoiless Nuclear Rifle (also known as the Davey Crockett) for exactly that purpose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khyZI3RK2lE&feature=related

And then there was this thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNlOtLhnsEE&NR=1

« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 06:55:15 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 07:39:24 PM »
How much time would cold war military strategist spend on such an issue?

If one side used tactical nukes, isn't the assumption that it would escalate to full blown strategic MAD war? The only conclusion is that you don't bother with tactical escalation, if you're gonna push the "big red button" then you're going all in, at the first hand.

Now-a-days, tactical war seems more likely with regional combat with nations that don't have intercontinental ballistic capability.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 08:42:07 PM »
I agree with you Drewtam, the use of nuclear weapons in just about any application would set off a rapid and likely irreversible "chain reaction" of escalation in itself I'm sure. I've firmly been of the belief that nuclear weapons should be manufactured and maintained as a deterrent more than anything else.

However, I'm questioning if we had plans to use nuclear weapons against armored columns (and specifically tanks) which has been answered (thanks guys!).  Now the remaining question is in regards to how successful in physically "destroying" tanks would the use of tactical nukes be?

I understand nearby residential and commercial buildings are no match for the destructive force of a 20 kt nuclear blast, but I'm really curious what a nuclear blast would do to a 40 ton chunk of war-tank some 200-1000 yards away.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 08:49:58 PM »
I'll wait for MicroBalog to post the technical pubs, but my money is on the effects of radiation in messing with the explosives inside the tanks being more potent than the blast wave itself.  Tanks are pretty squat things and even when beng blown up on purpose tend not to tip over too often.

Now, watching the turret come apart and the hatches fly off when the ammo and fuel go up inside is quite impressive.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 09:28:43 PM »
The Abrams has an NBC filtration system, rad detection kit, etc.  Allegedly, you can overpressure the crew area to keep out the fallout.  Uh, not sure how great those seals are.  No one is really wanting to test them in the real world.  The NBC specific vehicles are the only ones that folks maintain properly.  You'd want to be wearing your MOPP suit and mask regardless.  

Rads do not effect the munitions of an Abrams.  

If the seals work out, you should be able to withstand the overpressure in an Abrams.  That's the most dangerous part.  If the overpressure system works, the fallout (second most dangerous part) is minimal.  You'd want to keep your MOPP suit on and shag down to the nearest decon station to get the fallout washed off the tank.  Then get individually decon'd.  

Sustained fighting in an NBC environment is probably suicidal, because something will eventually fail.  If it doesn't fail immediately.  

The US Strategic nukes are the W76, W62, W78, W87, and W88.  We don't have "TacNukes" anymore.  Sorta.  We have Dial-A-Yield.  You can set the yield on the fly, and make the nuke either a Tactical or a Strategic nuke.  Those are the W80, B61, and B83.

Disclaimer:  I have no idea if the above is accurate.  We may or may not have "off the book" designs such as Atomic Demolition Munitions or whatnot.  Not my area of expertise, and it'd likely be classified anyways.

My coworker was under the impression that any tank within 2 miles of a 20 kt blast would be rendered useless, whereas I suspect perhaps only the tanks within a couple hundred yards would be mechanically "destroyed" whereas the tank crews would be the weak link for tanks outside that range (possible injured or killed by overpressure).  If the crew were later replaced, I believe most tanks would be more or less operable with only superficial damage.

No, a tank within "a couple hundred yards" of a 20 kt blast (assuming it wasn't a couple hundred yards of lead and concrete) would fry.  One, the rads would be fatal.  Two, the seals couldn't possible handle the overpressure.  Three, wouldn't matter because the entire tank would be cooked.  Certainly enough to kill the crew, detonate the rounds, set the fuel ablaze, melt anything not metal, etc

The hull would probably survive.  As a vaguely tank looking lump of radioactive metal.

2 miles from a 20 Kt ?  Probably survive just fine.  Just wash it off and decon.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:56:17 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 10:30:20 PM »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 10:59:59 PM »
A while back, there was a big furor about enhanced radiation weapons, aka the "Neutron Bomb."  Essentially a thermonuclear device without the uranium outer case (making it a fission-fusion bomb, rather than a fission-fusion-fission bomb) it produced a disproportionate amount of radiation relative to its blast yield. Soviet tank crews were the intended targets. The lower blast yield was thought to reduce damage to, for example, West German infrastructure being over run by Soviet tank divisions, while the enhanced radiation effects would kill crews much further away than the blast would destroy the tank itself.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 11:09:21 PM »
A while back, there was a big furor about enhanced radiation weapons, aka the "Neutron Bomb."  Essentially a thermonuclear device without the uranium outer case (making it a fission-fusion bomb, rather than a fission-fusion-fission bomb) it produced a disproportionate amount of radiation relative to its blast yield. Soviet tank crews were the intended targets. The lower blast yield was thought to reduce damage to, for example, West German infrastructure being over run by Soviet tank divisions, while the enhanced radiation effects would kill crews much further away than the blast would destroy the tank itself.

Yep, I was just going to post that. The whole reason ER bombs were invented. Soviet tank columns.
I promise not to duck.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 11:22:51 PM »
there were plenty of folks in germany who had opinions and thoughts about the use of nukes
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 11:46:13 PM »
I had a training once on the mk-54 SADM as an engineer for the purposes of dropping a bridge in the fulda gap with the russians hot on our heals.  Sobering...

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 12:00:10 AM »
i know a german civilian lady who lived near there. married a friend  she once wryly remarked that she did a tour that lasted 25 years there
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 03:39:51 AM »
Okay guys, I hate to break it to you:

Soviet doctrine, at least through the 60's and 70's, accepted and revolved around, the use of thermonuclear weapons to defeat Western tanks. Conversely, soviet armored warfare manuals warn officers that NATO forces will probably use nuclear weapons extensively. The relevant Soviet book for this is Biryukov/Melnikov's "Anti-Tank Warfare" (Military Press, Moscow, 1967). The good comrades react tanks, airstrikes, and ATGMs as "auxiliary" to the principle method of anti-armored warfare:

"Individual, group, and mass nuclear strikes."

This is the drawing provided in the manual:

The white lines denote the location of Western mechanized and armored units. The black circles with thick dots in the middle are individual nuclear strikes, and clusters of said circles are group nuclear strikes.

Alternatively, the thick, dotted line enveloping the entire Western division? Oh, that's a massed nuclear strike.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

PTK

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 03:44:00 AM »
I had a training once on the mk-54 SADM as an engineer for the purposes of dropping a bridge in the fulda gap with the russians hot on our heals.  Sobering...

Ok, drop it like this, then drive really really really fast.... upwind. :O
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 03:28:38 PM »
A few years back, at the end of the cold war, debated a person who argued the Soviet threat was bogus.  I brought up the Soviet doctrine of using tac nukes formthe get-go, but they would not believe me.  Didn;t fit their view of reality.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 04:04:07 PM »
No, a tank within "a couple hundred yards" of a 20 kt blast (assuming it wasn't a couple hundred yards of lead and concrete) would fry.

OK, but what about a 1940's era refrigerator?

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 04:28:50 PM »
A few years back, at the end of the cold war, debated a person who argued the Soviet threat was bogus.  I brought up the Soviet doctrine of using tac nukes formthe get-go, but they would not believe me.  Didn;t fit their view of reality.

my old boss at the hotel was in the german army in the gap.he said their role was Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzungen

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 05:28:07 PM »
Geschwindi---what?  My German is weak.  Speed bumps?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 05:29:04 PM »
yup.  that was the job of the units in the fulda gap

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 05:49:56 PM »
Every US artillery battery in USAREUR was trained in the use of "Special Weapons".  In fact I believe that they were stored in either Miesau or Pirmasens, I forget which.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 06:47:46 PM »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 11:37:25 PM »
Ok, drop it like this, then drive really really really fast.... upwind. :O

Weak American.

Soviet urban warfare doctrine of the era calls for using tacnukes to clear away fortified city areas and then ordering infantry in to capture the burning ruins. Special groups were tasked in putting out residual fires so infantrymen could rush in faster and capture the strike area.

No. I am not joking. I can provide graphs.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 03:08:32 AM »
Weak American.

Soviet urban warfare doctrine of the era calls for using tacnukes to clear away fortified city areas and then ordering infantry in to capture the burning ruins. Special groups were tasked in putting out residual fires so infantrymen could rush in faster and capture the strike area.

No. I am not joking. I can provide graphs.

Sounds like standard Stalin. What's 30 or 40 million of your own people dead as long as you win and the vodka and caviar keeps flowing,

• friends
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 10:11:14 AM »
the chinese regard stalin as a coddler