Author Topic: Ok all you smarties...  (Read 7196 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Ok all you smarties...
« on: April 29, 2011, 08:32:41 AM »
I'm looking for a wireless way to remotely operate a relay. I want to close contacts at one location and have another set of contacts close say ~100 ft away as a result without all the pesky wires in between. Waddaya got?

=D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
Re: Ok all you smarties...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 08:35:57 AM »
Disclaimer for the ATF, FBI CIA, NCIS and whoever the hell else is reading this. It's not for a bomb nor does itt involve det cord, duct tape or bacon. Unfortunately.  :angel:

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 08:39:16 AM »
The "master" contacts would be operated automatically by a thermostat. So a garage door opener manual remote type deal is not what I'm looking for. Unless I can rig a thermostatically controlled electromagnetic plunger to operate the remote.  [tinfoil]

:laugh:

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 09:05:35 AM »
Thermostat wire isn't THAT expensive, you cheap skate!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 09:16:59 AM »
Cell phone operated?
 :lol:
It's not for a bomb nor does itt involve det cord, duct tape or bacon.
Never would have suspected it, except for the bacon/detcord/duct tape part. :laugh:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 09:34:32 AM »
Garage door opener.

On "master" side take apart remote and wire the NO side of the relay where the button goes.  Thermistat operates relay, contacts close, same as pushing button, and radio signal is sent.

On "slave" side take apart opener, and find the power leads to the motor.  Wire relay in there. Radio signal is recieved, brain feeds power to where motor used to be, relay is closed.

* I haven't taken apart a door opener, but I suspect the "slave" relay is already there, as I'd bet that they don't run the motor operating current through whatever PCB controls the radio.

** You'll have to fiddle with the limit switches to get it to shut off in a way appropriate to your application.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 09:34:43 AM »
Thermostat wire isn't THAT expensive, you cheap skate!
It is when you have to traverse outside ~100 ft underground. I actually ended up burying this outdoor grade heavy duty #14-2 extension cord that provenance dropped into my lap to take care of the situation but I just got to thinking about it again so I thought I'd toss it out there and save whatever might come back for future reference. The HVAC people (Honeywell) have wireles tstats that will send to one location only. I need to actuate in two very separate locations simultaneously.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 09:39:05 AM »
Garage door opener.

On "master" side take apart remote and wire the NO side of the relay where the button goes.  Thermistat operates relay, contacts close, same as pushing button, and radio signal is sent.

On "slave" side take apart opener, and find the power leads to the motor.  Wire relay in there. Radio signal is recieved, brain feeds power to where motor used to be, relay is closed.

* I haven't taken apart a door opener, but I suspect the "slave" relay is already there, as I'd bet that they don't run the motor operating current through whatever PCB controls the radio.

** You'll have to fiddle with the limit switches to get it to shut off in a way appropriate to your application.
I think we have a winnah! I like it. Very simple. BUT I'm still open to other ideas. If I could find a device specifically designed to do what I'm asking I would prefer that over a retro on a door opener. Hmmm, either way maybe I can dig all that beautiful cable back up! I didn't bury it that deep. >:D

:lol:

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 11:48:04 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 11:57:30 AM »
Is "using the Force" an option? How about a photocell activated by a laser? Hiring small children to push buttons for you?

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 03:07:21 PM »
these storms have me to rattled to make a real suggestion.

so, i'll just say. have you seen this thing? [popcorn]

................"x10", "lutron" are words you might want to think about.

lutron in particular if this is for a light.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 03:18:01 PM »
Arduino XBee.

You'll be able to send serial or digital motor commands wirelessly between two microcontrollers.

Probably a lot cheaper than a garage door opener system, and more flexible.

Just wire up solenoids to close your circuits at either end upon the push of a button or a thermostat sensor activation.

Controller 1 listens for "button push" or it polls a thermostat sensor for a temperature value and closes solenoids locally when activated, and sends a command to Controller 2 via the XBee.

Controller 2 listens for radio traffic on the other XBee, and closes solenoids when it detects valid radio traffic.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 03:27:27 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 03:18:23 PM »
have you seen this thing? [popcorn]

We have one of those.  It cost $10 though.  It comes with two-sided foam tape and a screw-to-the-wall holster
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 01:55:32 AM »
A friend of mine works for Ecobee.  From what I can understand of what he does, they are thermostats that are "web-based" you run them from the interwebertubez.

http://www.ecobee.com/

Might be easier then wiring a remote detonator garage door opener.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 07:28:26 AM »
Installing a light-switch often requires pulling wires, cutting drywall, tripping breakers, and soothing electrical burns.
I think I'll be staying away from light switches now... :lol:

Switch/no good - WIFI T'stat interesting but still not fit the bill - Ecobee / also interesting but same same, not fit bill. The door opener rig job is close BUT I wonder if the closing of the master contacts can be continous or does it need to be a momentary close then release. I wonder if continous closing of the remote switch will cause the slave switch to cycle. Guess I just hold the button down on the det...uhh, door opener remote and see wha happen.   [tinfoil]

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 08:23:01 AM »
Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas:

"How about a photocell activated by a laser?"

I bought a couple of motion detectors for yard lights for about $10 each from Ace Hardware a couple of years ago, just to play with.

Shouldn't be hard to mount one set to max sensitivity and with a field of view constrictor on it pointing to where your control point is.  You could use a light-bulb-socket-to line-plug adaptor where the yard lights screw in to control your stuff --110 on and off.

Or you could dissect it and rewire it directly.  I seem to recall that they do click slightly when they go on and off, so they've probably got real live 110V contact relays in it.

You could probably control it with a flashlight if you wanted to.  Or a laser pen.  Or the Crimson Trace on your sidearm. :)

Dunno what they'd cost nowadays, but give them a call

EDITED TO ADD:  Just dug one out of my project closet and it's their stock number ACE 3038320.  The box says it's got a 60 foot range, but that's just for ambient IR illumination.  I betcha you could turn it on from a mile away with a flashlight.

Or your sidearm.

Anyway, it looks like for $10 + inflation, you'd have all the parts you'd need, or you could 'gin up a system with it as-is.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 08:41:06 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 08:31:55 AM »
I missed the photocell part when I read that post cause I was too busy laughing about using "the Force". Hmmmmm,,,,what if if's foggy?  =D

Keep i mind, I don't want to poke holes in all these ideas but I have to because better to do it now on "paper" than install it and have it not work for one silly reason or another.

Another question about door opener remote. If I close the contacts in the remote and leave them closed, will that run down the battery?

If stupid Honeywell would set their T'stat up so it would actuate more than one receiver I'd be in good shape. Trouble is, I'm the kind of guy who is the only one on the whole planet with this particular application and they're not about to do a bunch of R&D just for li'l ol' me.  =|

It's tough to be a pioneer.  :lol:

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 09:30:07 AM »

Another question about door opener remote. If I close the contacts in the remote and leave them closed, will that run down the battery?

Again FTR I just brainstormed that, I don't actually have one in front of me. But:  If I was doing the engineering I would look for the low voltage in the T-stat, or obtain a transformer (maybe an old cell phone charger? would have to look at some stickers) to run the remote.  I would imagine that yes, if it's set to transmit continuously that the OG batt would be run down quickly.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 07:21:20 PM »
How 'bout a scoped .22LR interfacing with a metal spinner which activates a cat whisker limit switch wired to a Potter Brummfield low inrush relay.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

280plus

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 06:13:54 AM »
Now we're getting somewhere!  ;)