Author Topic: Home Network Wi-Fi Booster  (Read 7209 times)

Chester32141

• friend
Home Network Wi-Fi Booster
« on: November 20, 2011, 11:51:14 AM »
Hey y'all ... My home network is a little weak.  Speed at router is approx. 18mbps.  By the time I'm about 10 feet away it's down to 8mbps and that's line of sight.  Stays at about 6-8mbps thru out the rest of the house.  One story home, about 2200 sq ft, couple Laptops and a couple Rokus, not usually all at once.  Brand new router from Brighthouse.  Do you think the item at the link posted below would solve the problem ?   Router is centrally located and this device would be nearby. 

Thanks ...  :cool:

http://amplifi.dlink.com/products/DAP-1525

from ... http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wi-Fi-Booster-Smart-DAP-1525/dp/B0053XG25G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321762992&sr=8-1

"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Home Network Wi-Fi Booster
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 12:14:49 PM »
In. Not for my house, but my parent's. It's a long ranch style house and there's some intervening brickwork etc.

I could just do a repeater, but it would need to be in the kitchen, and there's nowhere good to place it.
I promise not to duck.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 12:28:28 PM »
From your description, I would be thinking about a new router.  The router itself sounds weak, like there isn't enough RF output, or there is another problem with the RF deck.  Maybe you need a different router rather than a booster.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 01:17:36 PM »
I'll second the replace the router recommendation.
We live in a 3 story 2300 sq ft home, I get full strength on all floors (router is located on the 3rd floor)
Linksys WRT400N

I have a spare Dlink DIR-600 N 300 that I was considering using on the first floor to extend coverage.  Not necessary at all.

So yeah I'd say something is wrong with the router.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 01:23:01 PM »
I'll third the replace router...also what are 802.11? of all your devices....remember if you have all N and one G and only one antenna then you are going to get G speed for every device.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 01:59:04 PM »
From your description, I would be thinking about a new router.  The router itself sounds weak, like there isn't enough RF output, or there is another problem with the RF deck.  Maybe you need a different router rather than a booster.

Yeah, if you're that close, and the signal drops as fast as you say.

Linksys, with DD-wrt.  Up the output power per the readme.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 02:22:11 PM »
Got any neighbors with WiFi?  They could be jumping on the same channel as you.  You can either try blindly flipping the channel setting on the router to see if that works or grab some scanning software.  Not sure what works in Windows as I just use one I've got on my phone.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »
When you say speed at the router, do you mean the speed as tested when you're hard-cabled to it, or the speed as tested with your wifi-connected device sitting right next to the router?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 08:34:46 PM »
When you say speed at the router, do you mean the speed as tested when you're hard-cabled to it, or the speed as tested with your wifi-connected device sitting right next to the router?

Brad

I set my laptop next to the router and run a speedtest ... www.speedtest.net ... next to the router it's about 18Mmps but the signal seems weak as I get any distance away from the router speed drops off dramatically.  There are 6-8 neighbors whose networks show up in my control panel ... Is the general consensus then that I should try a new cable modem/router ?  Would the AP posted in the original link do the job, making a new modem unneccesary ?

Thanks again for any advice y'all care to share ...  :cool:
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 09:32:54 PM »
Hmm, well, the signal is digital, not analog.  If it's seeing the unit and getting a decent signal, the speed should not drop off appreciably with the short distances you are describing.  One thing that could be causing trouble is direct interference on that frequency.  Some cordless phones in the gigahertz frequency ranges can interfere with router signals.  Interestingly enough, so can some microwaves.  Go into your router settings and try changing the channel, or even manually forcing it from N back to G.

Some routers have the capability of slightly increasing transmit power.  You'd need to google for tips-and-tricks on your particular unit. 

You can also get a higher gain antenna (if your unit has a removeable external antenna).  I had to do that for a friend of mine who insisted on hiding the router in a cabinet.  I used a 5dB gain mini stick and a 6" extension to mount the antenna in a mostly-out-of-sight nook at the top of his entertainment center.  The upside is he gets GREAT wifi all over his house, even in the basement.

Brad
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:19:19 AM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 09:37:16 PM »
The question I failed to ask is, do all of your laptops and other wireless devices show problems maintaining connection and decent speeds?  If so, the router is the common factor.
If it's just one laptop suffering from poor connections and low speeds, then it is probably the laptop having wireless problems.  If that's the case, then Brad's post makes a lot of sense.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 09:39:49 PM »
I feel all old tech having my 1.5 Mbps max service.

I would see what a WiFi inspector tells you about the signal that is going around the house. I only run at 1.5 but I can test at 1.4 over a hundred yards away.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 09:45:39 PM »
I feel all old tech having my 1.5 Mbps max service.

Hush now. I've got flippin' dialup. It's 1996 in my house!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 09:46:54 PM »
Go to this link and download inssider. It will show you all the other networks in range and what channel they are on.
Since people never change the default by default you may have another signal right on top of yours.
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 09:56:51 PM »
Hush now. I've got flippin' dialup. It's 1996 in my house!

You are on the top of a mountain.

On the brighter side of things you aren't alone, apparently AOL still have 3.5 million dial up subscribers.

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/03/8619432-aol-still-has-35-million-dial-up-subscribers
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 11:05:50 PM »
Since the current router, a Ubee, is a cable modem/router and it has ethernet ports, can I just connect a router to one of the ethernet ports and go from there ?  Although I know it shows my ignorance I still wonder if an AP like the one posted in the original post would solve all my problems.  It's a new house w/ 20mbps and the only thing I've used there so far is my new laptop.  For some reason it is noticebly slower than at my current residence where I have 10Mbps service.   My goal is to have the new house be wireless and fast and although I don't want to spend money that I don't need to I'd really like the network there to work as well as my present home network, in fact since it's twice as fast, I'd like to see it work better. 

Thanks again for all the advice.

http://amplifi.dlink.com/products/DAP-1525

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 11:07:36 PM »
Since the current router, a Ubee, is a cable modem/router and it has ethernet ports, can I just connect a router to one of the ethernet ports and go from there ?

Yes.

Brad
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 11:11:47 AM »
Go to this link and download inssider. It will show you all the other networks in range and what channel they are on.
Since people never change the default by default you may have another signal right on top of yours.
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

^^ Wisdom here.

I lean towards a channel overlap in this situation.  Spend some time diagnosing using the current tools at your disposal before throwing good money at a problem that may well persist or get worse by adding yet more wireless AP's into a limited spectrum of channels.

If there are 10 AP's within talking distance of each other, you very well may be out of channels.  Adding more hardware just introduces one more channel overlap.

Make a list of every available AP you can see from various places in your home, and their relative signal strengths.  Front of the house, back of the house, 2nd story, etc.  Find out on what channel each one operates.

Then, assign an un-used channel to your AP.  If there are no un-used ones, then choose the channel of the weakest AP that doesn't belong to you.  Overlap with that one, and hopefully your computer will choose to associate with that AP when on that channel.

ETA:  I had a similar problem when I moved into my current house... I couldn't use wireless effectively from 1 half of my house.  I had no signal overlaps though.  The solution was to run Cat5 through the attic to the far end of the house, and install a 2nd access point over there.  Now, I can wander my entire property (1/3 acre cul-de-sac lot) from the 400sq ft  disconnected workshop in the far SE corner all the way to the mailbox on the far NW corner, with excellent signal.  I can even walk to the far end of the cul-de-sac and down the block a ways (100-125 yards), before the various cinder block walls of the private yards obfuscate my signal.  I probably have the strongest Wi-Fi network in the neighborhood.  I actually want to install a higher gain antenna on the roof of my workshop and see how far I can push my signal... possibly a parabolic pointed at the park nearby (1/2 mile or so).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:18:14 AM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 11:42:55 AM »
Wrap exterior walls with tin foil
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 05:10:57 PM »
I downloaded InSSIDER and I'm at my current home where the WiFi works good at 10Mbps.  Looks like I'm the only one on my channel.  I should be at the new place in a few days and I look forward to trying it there.  Assuming that it's a problem caused by overlapping channels, how do I go about changing channels on a Ubee cable router ?  Thanks again for the help.

Chester

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

AZRedhawk44

• friends
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Chester32141

• friend

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 08:27:25 PM »
I downloaded InSSIDER and I'm at my current home where the WiFi works good at 10Mbps.  Looks like I'm the only one on my channel.  I should be at the new place in a few days and I look forward to trying it there.  Assuming that it's a problem caused by overlapping channels, how do I go about changing channels on a Ubee cable router ?  Thanks again for the help.

Chester

Detcord!

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 06:24:31 PM »
At the new place Inssider showed 21 wireless networks.  Six of us were on the same channel and rest were on two other channels.  So I called Brighthouse and they switched me to a channel that I did not see anyone else on in a 24 hr period.  Took about 2 min to get it switched and I was able to see the channel number change on Inssider ... nice program.  It looks like the busy channel was the problem.  There appears to be no loss of speed or signal strength between the rooms now.  They all test the same as the room w/ the router in it.

Thank you very much !!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:30:29 PM by Chester32141 »

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 06:57:38 PM »
 :O and that's why i hate cities. =| i can see 1 other network. [popcorn] and she(used her first name in her ssid) fights to stay in a completely different channel(some can interfere)  once or twice, i've gotten to close. and once or twice she's done the same. but we always get it fixed pretty quick. :laugh:

my psp works all the way to the mailbox. aka 200+feet. >:D