Author Topic: Mitch Hedberg - Dead at 37  (Read 7220 times)

DigMe

Mitch Hedberg - Dead at 37
« on: March 31, 2005, 10:48:35 AM »
Mitch Hedberg died of a heart attack this week at age 37.  I can't point you to a specific news story but it's on his bio now at Comedy Central:

http://www.comedycentral.com/standup/central/detail.jhtml?p=/comedians/h/mitch_hedberg.xml

And it's on the front page over at www.improv.com.  I read a story on another website from the Pioneer Press in St. Paul but there was no link.  

RIP Mitch.  What a bummer... Sad

brad cook

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 11:12:09 AM »
Can't say that I ever heard of him, but they were talking about it on Stern this morning.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 11:15:20 AM »
He's a not very funny comic who was overplayed on XM's comedy station.  Prior to getting XM, I had never heard of him.

Chris

DigMe

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 11:46:47 AM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
He's a not very funny comic who was overplayed on XM's comedy station.  Prior to getting XM, I had never heard of him.

Chris
Your comment does not belong in this thread.  Or are we no longer trying to maintain "the high road" since we broke off?  

brad cook

Glock Glockler

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 12:30:46 PM »
So if someone dies we are only allowed to praise them regardless of how undeserved it might be?

Derby FALs

• http://www.derbyfals.com/home.htm
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 01:08:36 PM »
I ya can't say something good about a person...

Wink
?Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.? - Thomas Jefferson

DigMe

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 01:09:24 PM »
Please act like adults, folks.  

For future reference this is how an adult with tact handles this kind of thread if you aren't a fan of the person who died:

Hmmm....*says to self* "I don't like that guy but since I'm not a troll I'll keep that to myself."  
*Clicks back button and continues surfing.*

brad cook

nico

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 02:27:54 PM »
I just saw it on another board.  I had the opportunity to see him a couple weeks ago but didn't go because I had an exam the next day.  I wish I went. . .

Cindog

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 02:31:51 PM »
I was introducted to Mitch via XM.  Thought he was very talented and I will miss his comedy.  God speed, Mitch.

duck hunt

• http://www.annesoffee.com
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 04:00:10 PM »
I absolutely loved Mitch's comedy, and I understand where it might not be funny to the Foxworthy set.  He had a very unique style and you had to think a little sometimes to get the jokes -- he was in the same class as Steven Wright and George Carlin that way.  

I can't imagine the mindset of a person who would come on a death announcement thread and bash someone.  Just click the x, ya know?  Jeez.

Greg Levy

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 06:18:41 PM »
Quote from: DigMe
Can a mod please delete this thread at the request of original poster?  I didn't know we were going to be acting like immature teenagers at a funeral.

brad cook
Umm...there are no Moderators(I don't think).  From what I understand, Mr. Volk meant this to be a self-moderated website.  If you see something that offends you, like happened on the big Terry Shiavo thread, just stop visiting that thread.

If you really want the thread closed, I think you have go directly to Mr. Volk and request it.  

For the record, I don't have XM radio, and I have NEVER heard the guy.  It didn't seem to me that mtnbkr's comment was overly harsh.  

I'm going to go along with Glock Glocker on this one...even on THR if someone died, there were occasionally negative things written about them(please don't ask me to give and example, please don't ask me to give an example).

greg

crt360

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 06:27:55 PM »
I've never heard XM radio, but I saw Hedberg on the Comedy Channel a few times and I thought he was funny.  In fact, I think I mentioned him in a thread on favorite comedians not long ago.  I'm sorry to hear he's passed on.
For entertainment purposes only.

DigMe

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 07:04:12 PM »
Edited - following Oleg's advice.

brad cook

wasrjoe

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 07:12:48 PM »
RIP Mitch. Loved his comedy. It's unfortunate he didn't take better care of himself.
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 09:29:17 PM »
Overlook minor aggravations, report major aggravations.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2005, 01:31:49 AM »
I don't know the man. I've never heard his act. But knowing a human being w/ a family & a place in this world died is enough to offer condolences.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Chuck Jennings

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2005, 06:47:58 PM »
I always thought that he was very humorous.  I like the plays on words he used in his comedy. I had seen him in L.A. about a year ago, and he had pu on A LOT of weight.  It seems that he had some issues that hastened his demise. I will miss his work.  Here is a link with a lot of his one liners:

http://hometown.aol.com/valleygirl1983/mitch.html

DigMe

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2005, 06:56:56 AM »
Quote from: Chuck Jennings
I always thought that he was very humorous.  I like the plays on words he used in his comedy. I had seen him in L.A. about a year ago, and he had pu on A LOT of weight.  It seems that he had some issues that hastened his demise. I will miss his work.  Here is a link with a lot of his one liners:

http://hometown.aol.com/valleygirl1983/mitch.html
Someone told me he's had heart problems since he was a child as well.  

brad cook

nico

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2005, 08:22:42 AM »
His mother said he had a congenital heart defect.  That, in combination with heroin (and others) use is a recipe for an untimely death.