Author Topic: Illinois carry status?  (Read 26839 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Illinois carry status?
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2013, 11:03:14 AM »
My understanding is that Chicago has been making noises behind the scenes that they find going over the cliff preferable to losing home-rule on guns overall.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is busy making a mistake.   If nothing passes Little Lisa (Madigan, our Attorney General and daughter of House Leader Mike Madigan.  Nope, no nepotism here.), wiill probably file for Cert with the USSC.  However with under ten days to go the chances of her getting it in and get a stay is rapidly approaching zero.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2013, 11:33:18 AM »
Seriously, does anyone really think that a local ban on carrying firearms will survive in court when the statewide ban was struck down by the 7thCA as unconstitutional?

I do so hope that there are some home rule places out there that are dumb enough to try.  The bitchslapping by the federal judge will be epic !!!

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2013, 02:03:55 PM »
Seriously, does anyone really think that a local ban on carrying firearms will survive in court when the statewide ban was struck down by the 7thCA as unconstitutional?

I do so hope that there are some home rule places out there that are dumb enough to try.  The bitchslapping by the federal judge will be epic !!!

You aren't looking big picture I think.

Time, place, and manner restrictions were not addressed in the ruling; Posner just said they had to "allow public carry" and it couldn't be "may-issue".  Nothing was said about defining public transportation as off limits, or public parks, or within "x" distance of a school, or in public buildings, or having signage have force of law as opposed to simply allowing for a trespass if the carrier ignores it, is caught, and then refuses to leave.  Nothing was said about barring carry on private property without the owner's express (written) permission.  Nothing was said about holsters being required to be level 2 or higher.  Nothing was said about barring OC, or criminalizing even brief accidental exposure. Nothing was said about allowing employers to bar "parking lot carry". Nothing was said about barring carry in public stadiums, or college campuses, or state fairs, or county fairgrounds. Nothing was said about ammunition type restrictions like NJ, or capacity limits like most of the "may-issue" states.

Nothing in the ruling forbid training requirements, or high-ish fees, or regular requals, or "safety inspections" like Pennsylvania.  In Alaska in our initial carry law we had to qualify by action type and caliber.  If you wanted to carry a revolver, you had to qual with a revolver, if you wanted to carry a semi-auto, you had to qualify with one: and you could only carry a caliber (not power level, bullet nominal diameter) in each action type that you qual'ed with or smaller; Posner's ruling is mute on that subject.

This is where the rest of us, with our experience of how shall-issue laws have evolved over the past 30 years, are coming from.  You appear to be looking at the House bill like it is horrible because it doesn't match "Shall-issue" laws as they are currently in most states, when it is merely a typical early '90s law that many of us lived through improving over time and view pragmatically because of that.

And you appear to be looking at court carry like it can only be positive without considering all the crap that can be added as restrictions without violating the Posner order and which have been upheld thus far in the other circuits.

It is not internally consistent to take a "worst-case" view of the House bill and a Pollyanna view of court carry, especially given how bad you know IL politics can be.  The House bill had limits on how bad it could get, and had the plusses of preemption and removal of home rule.  Court carry has no effective restrictions as long as you can carry on your own land without a permit.  Everything else is up for restriction and the anti's have a laundry list of past and existing restrictions, many already supported as Constitutional at the Circuit level, they can pile on.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2013, 02:09:20 PM »
Cliff Contingency - Cook Co. Proposed Carry Ordinance

40 hours training, $300, "maybe, maybe not" issue.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2013, 02:14:51 PM »
Eh... I see it both ways.

The compromise/"bad" bill that strips Chicago and the other large muni's of home-rule provisions about firearms was a HUGE deal. I agree.

OTOH, with the case law building up on our sides, the flurry of lawsuits against Chicago and other restrictive counties and municipalites could lower the carry bar even further and make the Chicago-machine in an even weaker position if/when they cry uncle and do pass a CCW bill.  And those court cases in Fed circuit can create precedents for other places like HI, CA, NJ, MD, etc. that have de-facto no-carry "may issue".

From my view both are "wins", just different.

I think the cliff has potential to be better for RKBA in the long run, and beyond IL. But the ability of all the municipalities to pass draconian ordinances, and the wait, sometimes years for court cases to wind their way through, it will indeed hamper the ability of regular folk who can't afford legal entanglements "NOW".
I promise not to duck.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2013, 02:50:21 PM »
The California and Hawaii 9th Circuit lawsuits are looking good last I checked and will likely support Posner's "shall-issue is part of the right" ruling.  CalGuns is kicking ass on the county by county level as well.

There is very little in the courts supporting anything beyond "May is not sufficient" and the Circuits are split even on that.

The momentum for liberalizing carry regulations is legislative, not judicial.  We have been liberalizing carry session by session, vote by vote, state by state.  Particular carry restrictions have pretty much resisted court challenge thus far.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2013, 04:01:58 PM »
I guess you can't blame Chicago for not wanting anything to jeopardize their stellar record on violent crime.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2013, 04:43:21 PM »
I guess you can't blame Chicago for not wanting anything to jeopardize their stellar record on violent crime.
One set of criminals looking out for the interests of another set of criminals.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2013, 05:21:51 PM »

"Thou hast said it."

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2013, 09:00:30 PM »
You aren't looking big picture I think.

Time, place, and manner restrictions were not addressed in the ruling; Posner just said they had to "allow public carry" and it couldn't be "may-issue".  Nothing was said about defining public transportation as off limits, or public parks, or within "x" distance of a school, or in public buildings, or having signage have force of law as opposed to simply allowing for a trespass if the carrier ignores it, is caught, and then refuses to leave.  Nothing was said about barring carry on private property without the owner's express (written) permission.  Nothing was said about holsters being required to be level 2 or higher.  Nothing was said about barring OC, or criminalizing even brief accidental exposure. Nothing was said about allowing employers to bar "parking lot carry". Nothing was said about barring carry in public stadiums, or college campuses, or state fairs, or county fairgrounds. Nothing was said about ammunition type restrictions like NJ, or capacity limits like most of the "may-issue" states.

Nothing in the ruling forbid training requirements, or high-ish fees, or regular requals, or "safety inspections" like Pennsylvania.  In Alaska in our initial carry law we had to qualify by action type and caliber.  If you wanted to carry a revolver, you had to qual with a revolver, if you wanted to carry a semi-auto, you had to qualify with one: and you could only carry a caliber (not power level, bullet nominal diameter) in each action type that you qual'ed with or smaller; Posner's ruling is mute on that subject.

This is where the rest of us, with our experience of how shall-issue laws have evolved over the past 30 years, are coming from.  You appear to be looking at the House bill like it is horrible because it doesn't match "Shall-issue" laws as they are currently in most states, when it is merely a typical early '90s law that many of us lived through improving over time and view pragmatically because of that.

And you appear to be looking at court carry like it can only be positive without considering all the crap that can be added as restrictions without violating the Posner order and which have been upheld thus far in the other circuits.

It is not internally consistent to take a "worst-case" view of the House bill and a Pollyanna view of court carry, especially given how bad you know IL politics can be.  The House bill had limits on how bad it could get, and had the plusses of preemption and removal of home rule.  Court carry has no effective restrictions as long as you can carry on your own land without a permit.  Everything else is up for restriction and the anti's have a laundry list of past and existing restrictions, many already supported as Constitutional at the Circuit level, they can pile on.

Actually I am.   Previously I posted:

All I hear is that "otherwise we'd get Kwame's bill".  Really?!?!?   That's enough of the 68 that voted for HB997 would flip?   Then what's fuckign point of having elections?  If what Mike Madigan wants is what Mike Madigan gets, then the ILGA is just a big *expletive deleted* joke and state .gov is a big farce.

Yet, we'll be able to "fix" this later-on.  

Well which is it boys and girls.  Mike Madigan rules with an iron fist or we can improve this later?  'Cause it sure can't be both.  

The democrats have a supermajority in both houses and re-drew the election map in 2010, pretty much cutting out quite a few "R" seats.   The gains the "D's" made weren't downstate where they are "Reagan Democrats".   The seats were added to Chicago and Cook County.   We went from 64D/54R in the House to 71D/47R and 35D/24R in the Senate to 40D/19R.  If all democrats vote for something there's nothing the republicans can do to stop it.  And it's not going to get better by the next census.  Barring a total meltdown, the D's have this state locked up for the foreseeable future and probably longer.

We are the last state to get carry and if there hadn't been a 7thCA court ruling, we still wouldn't have it.  Sure Madigan might have allowed a vote on Phelps' carry bill (like he does every year), but only when he's sure that it doesn't have the votes to pass.   Same with "Make it better later".  This ain't Alaska or Arizona or any other state.  This is Illinois, the land of one party rule and it's dominated by Madigan and Cullerton.  (Nobody pays attention to Quinn).

There will be no improvements or fixes to either of these bad bills.

Home Rule:  Home Rule entities cannot create felonies.  Only fines and misdemeanors.   Will getting arrested by a pain in the ass.   Yes.  But we do have a very, very strong precedent to cite.   Ezell.   That's where according to Judge Pozner, the City of Chicago tried to be "too cute by half" by requiring a live fire qualification then proceeding to ban all ranges.  The ruling stated that "the closer the activity to the basic right the stricter the scrutiny."  http://ia700507.us.archive.org/1/items/gov.uscourts.ilnd.246475/gov.uscourts.ilnd.246475.113.0.pdf
They are going to have real hard time explaining to the court why they are banning carry at the local level when banning carry at the state level is unconstitutional.

The only down side is that we will have to go to every home rule meeting to fight these ordinances.   However pointing out that 1983 lawsuits are a distinct possibility might be enough to prevent passage.   And as it stands the only Home Rule community that has an ordinance drafted is Cook County.  It's a may issue/no-issue system and has so many flaws the court will once again take great joy in slapping it down.   Especially since they gave the state 180 days ot "fix it" and they haven't.

Also we don't have to get arrested to file a a pre-enforcement challenge to any of these ordinances.  Again from Ezell:

Moreover, this is a preenforcement challenge to the Ordinance.The plaintiffs contend that the City’s ban on firing ranges is wholly incompatible with the Second Amendment. It is well established that “preenforcement challenges . .  . are within Article III.”  Brandt v.Vill. of Winnetka,Ill. ,612F.3d647,649(7thCir.2010). Theplaintiffs need not violate the Ordinance and risk prosecution in order to challenge it.  Schirmer v. Nagode, 621F.3d581,586(7thCir. 2010)(“A person need not riskarrest before bringing a pre enforcement challenge . . . .”). The very “existence of a statute implies a threat to prosecute, so pre enforcement challenges are proper, because a probability of future injury counts as ‘injury’ for the purpose of standing.” Bauer,620 F.3dat708

And we won't have litigate all of them.  Just some.  A couple of wins and the rest fall like dominoes.  Anyone that thought it would be all rainbows and unicorn farts for gunowners after Illinois passed a LTC/CCW law (especially without preemption) was smoking crack.  

Also the SB2193 is not "Shall Issue"  Sen Forby states:  "If any law enforcement agency state, county, or something, if somebody asks for a permit they can go against this person."  That will be used in court by the anti's as "legislative intent", for when the ISP, Cook County Sheriff and the CPD deny everyone a permit.  Go to about 1:50:00 on this.  He says it around 1:54:00.  http://new.livestream.com/blueroomstream/events/2135929

Yes, it would invalidate all home rule gun ordinances, in exchange for no-issue.   Both the ISRA and the NRA are neutral on this bill.     The Kwame (Senate) bill is basically the same no-issue bill as the house bill except for no preemption.  Both the NRA and ISRA are against this bill.    
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 01:17:18 AM by scout26 »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2013, 12:31:33 AM »
A "compromise" is said to have been made. Of the no-pre-emption kind.

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=7776

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2013, 02:05:13 AM »

I've always said that Chicago traded Al Capone for the City Mayor/counsel.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2013, 11:12:16 AM »
A "compromise" is said to have been made. Of the no-pre-emption kind.

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=7776

Looks like Scout was right, ya'll got screwed.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2013, 12:30:12 PM »
I'm going to sit tight and see, before I'd make that call.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2013, 12:37:27 PM »
4          Section 15. Objections by law enforcement agencies.
5          (a) Any law enforcement agency may submit an objection to a
6      license applicant based upon a reasonable suspicion that the
7      applicant is a danger to himself or herself or others, or a
8      threat to public safety. The objection shall be made by the
9      chief law enforcement officer of the law enforcement agency, or
10      his or her designee, and must include any information relevant
11      to the objection. If a law enforcement agency submits an
12      objection within 30 days after the entry of an applicant into
13      the database, the Department shall submit the objection and all
14      information related to the application to the Board within 10
15      days of completing all necessary background checks.

Anybody want to guess how many Cook County/Chicago residents will get permits?

(a) There is hereby created a Concealed Carry Licensing
17      Review Board to consider any objection to an applicant's
18      eligibility to obtain a license under this Act submitted by a
19      law enforcement agency or the Department under Section 15 of
20      this Act. The Board shall consist of 7 commissioners to be
21      appointed by the Governor, with the advice and consent of the
22      Senate, with 3 commissioners residing within the First Judicial
23      District and one commissioner residing within each of the 4
24      remaining Judicial Districts. No more than 4 commissioners
25      shall be members of the same political party.

First Judicial District = Cook County.  Yep, that won't be a problem.

I won't even list all 23 of the prohibited areas.

Yep, it's a no carry bill.  I hope it fails and we go over the cliff.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2013, 03:15:18 PM »
Anybody want to guess how many Cook County/Chicago residents will get permits?

Well, how many friends does the Mayor, Police Chief, city counsel members and any other city big wigs have?  California has been doing it that way for years.  If you are friends of the sheriff, NO PROBLEMO!
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2013, 04:06:32 PM »
Just saw this.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/05/foghorn/final-illinois-concealed-carry-agreement-exclusive-details/

It says pre-emption for handguns only, and shall-issue with a 16-hour class (shorter class if you have hunters' ed or DD 214).

Moar datas:

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-76123625/
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 05:51:49 PM by fistful »

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2013, 06:57:21 PM »
I disagree with Scout on the analysis of it. Here is where I think it stands...

PROS
  • Shall issue
  • Appeals process for denied permits, with a balanced review board
  • Preemption for handguns and rifles (no city can add new bans)
  • Removes local bans/registries/licenses (including the chicagoland rules) for handguns only
  • Vehicle is safe harbor anywhere in state. (Able to travel to a parking lot near a prohibited area/building, disarm or rearm, inside, or the immediate vicinity of your vehicle.)
  • Eliminate Chicago firearm permits for handguns
  • Restaurants that have 50+% alcohol revenue must post that they are banned from concealed carry
  • Partial concealed is ok (no trouble for accidentally showing, disarming, etc)

CONS
  • Any city firearm ordinance pre-existing this act will remain, except for handgun ordinances
  • Bans carrying on subsidized public transport (trains, buses, etc), which is big impact for Chicagoland
  • 16hr training requirement (time consuming and expensive)
  • $150 Permit fee PLUS training/qualification/ammo alienates citizens unable to attend due to circumstances or afford due to financial situation.
  • Discourages non-residents seeking to legally carry in IL due to high fees plus training/ammo/etc. ($300 for out of state permit, $??? for training)
  • No reciprocity with other states permit
  • Signs specifying carry is prohibited are too small/need to be larger.
  • Numerous "gun free zones"/prohibited places
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
I hope y'all go off the cliff.  Far more freedom that way.

No law always trumps new law.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2013, 07:49:49 PM »
I hope y'all go off the cliff.  Far more freedom that way.

No law always trumps new law.

It'll be interesting.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2013, 08:27:33 PM »
Guess it's official.

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=7806

Looks like they're giving themselves until next March to issue the permits. Wonder if that will hold up.  =|

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=183&GAID=12&GA=98&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=69231&SessionID=85

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2013, 08:39:46 PM »
Per "Arms and the Law" and "Days of Our Trailers", probably the premiere sources for Illinois info right now, home rule places have 10 days after signing/veto override to pass non-handgun/carry ordinances and then preemption kicks in.  

"No Lawyers, Only Guns and Money" and "Arms and the Law" are probably the two best legal blogs on guns right now.  "Days of Our Trailers's" and "Walls of the City" are great for facts and analysis of statistical stuff.  I recommend making all of them at least weekly reads.  
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:43:50 PM by Matthew Carberry »

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2013, 09:02:57 PM »
Guess it's official.

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=7806

Gun show tomorrow.  Look for a holster (as if there'll be anything remotely of quality). 

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2013, 10:28:09 PM »

"No Lawyers, Only Guns and Money" and "Arms and the Law" are probably the two best legal blogs on guns right now.

Thank you.  No Lawyers etc. had the information I wanted.  I didn't have time to try to keep track of the storm of things going on, and hadn't heard what actually passed.

House Bill 183, Ammendment 5 with a couple tweaks in 6 and 7, looks to be it.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2013, 09:10:40 AM »
Thank you.  No Lawyers etc. had the information I wanted.  I didn't have time to try to keep track of the storm of things going on, and hadn't heard what actually passed.

House Bill 183, Ammendment 5 with a couple tweaks in 6 and 7, looks to be it.

Amendment 6 was a significant tweak. A7 was inconsequential.

A6 changed the pre-emption from concealed weapon to all handguns.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!