Author Topic: Is Nothing Sacred? Hackers Hack Toilets  (Read 2126 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Is Nothing Sacred? Hackers Hack Toilets
« on: August 05, 2013, 11:21:32 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Is Nothing Sacred? Hackers Hack Toilets
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 11:28:45 AM »
The high-end Japanese-made toilet, which also plays music and deodorizes the bathroom, incorporates a fully automatic flushing action, a heated seat, a massage feature (don’t ask), and “soft lighting."

All the extra *expletive deleted* (pun intended) means there is just more that can go wrong.

“The My Satis Android application has a hard-coded Bluetooth PIN of 0000,” Crowley explained. “As such, any person using the application can control any Satis toilet.”

Why in the *expletive deleted* is there a need for an smartphone application for a toilet?  Oh that's right see the first quote.

I want my old 5-7 gallon throne back.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 11:29:19 AM »
I think the underlying problem isn't so much that "smart toilets" have been hacked but rather the existence of and perceived need for "smart toilets" itself.

:facepalm:

Besides, the NSA probably has it bugged anyway.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 11:40:56 AM »
All my toilets are analog, 3.5gal flush units.  One with add-on analog bidet.  The other will get the bidet upgrade soon.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 11:48:06 AM »
Why in the *expletive deleted* is there a need for an smartphone application for a toilet?  Oh that's right see the first quote.

That and the existence of computerized toilets were my first thoughts as well. But then again these toilets were invented in WTF Japan.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 01:20:23 PM »
I think the underlying problem isn't so much that "smart toilets" have been hacked but rather the existence of and perceived need for "smart toilets" itself.

:facepalm:

Besides, the NSA probably has it bugged anyway.

I can still remember using an outhouse in the winter.  We had a "smart stick" that you used from time to time to knock down the accumulated frozen tower  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 02:27:33 PM »
Merchandising geniuses....

Somehow I'm reminded of a $2.95 el-cheapo 4-banger calculator I bought which had "Solar" printed on its front right under the solar cell, just on the general principle that every man could always use an extra little calculator to play around with.

OK, but when it died a year later, notwithstanding the fact that it was charging under a desk lamp much of the time, I decided to rescue the solar cell inside it just on general principles... that principle being that every man could always use an extra solar cell to play around with.

Four little Phillips-head screws later I made the interesting discovery that the solar cell was merely a cardboard printed picture of a solar cell.

No wonder it didn't stay charged.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:41:28 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 03:46:48 PM »
I've got a Texas Instrument calculator that is charged by artificial light or sunlight.  My 45 year old son found that calculator when he was in the 7th grade.  It's still going strong.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 03:52:41 PM »
Anyone who thinks there's a good reason to spend $$$ on a COMPUTERIZED TOILET  :facepalm:  deserves to have it hacked, and at the most inconvenient times in the most embarassing manner. (Hmmm . . . does it include a webcam?  :O  )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 04:42:10 PM »
A prime candidate for a buffer overflow exploit.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 05:35:01 PM »
I see as Japanese game show in the making here!  ;)  =D

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »
I wonder what Drew Carey ("The Price Is Right" game show host) could do with this concept on his show.  (One of my favorite comedians, BTW.)
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.