Author Topic: USS Thresher SSN-593- Lost 4/10/1963  (Read 690 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
USS Thresher SSN-593- Lost 4/10/1963
« on: April 10, 2014, 04:14:16 PM »
51 years ago the USS Thresher was lost with all hands.
My 1st boat was the same class.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Thresher_(SSN-593)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: USS Thresher SSN-593- Lost 4/10/1963
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 04:28:53 PM »
A great loss to our nation. May they all rest peacefully.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 05:38:44 PM »
I think I remember hearing about it when it happened.  I would have been in third grade.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 08:26:53 PM »
I wasn't yet a year old when it happened but the story and the lessons learned are a deeply embedded part of the submarine world.
A little more so from some of us that served in the same class of boat.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 09:15:40 PM »
Don't worry, Malaysian radar is tracking it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 10:21:13 PM »
The location of the Thresher was pretty well know from the begining.

When the Scorpion was lost it took a while to find her. The general location was ultimately triangulated from SONAR recordings from half way across the Atlantic.

Samuel Adams

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 06:56:28 AM »
My father was all ready to ship out with the Thresher.  Got leave approved when Mom got sick.  I tthink he always had a touh of survivor guilt...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark