Author Topic: USPS Shipping Times?  (Read 972 times)

MechAg94

• friend
USPS Shipping Times?
« on: December 21, 2020, 11:29:49 PM »
Anyone noticed some really really slow shipping times with the US Post Office?  I know it is Christmas time, but some of this is just nuts.  I have a package coming from Illinois and it appears to be coming by neighborhood mail truck.  A couple of others at least made it to Houston in 4 or 5 days.  This one is at 7 days.  It has made it from Illinois to Mississippi.  Only a couple more states to go.  I might have the magazines in a few more weeks.  Thankfully, none of it is gifts.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: USPS Shipping Times?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 12:04:58 AM »
I had a package a couple of weeks ago make three circuits through the Greensboro, NC facility before finally popping loose for delivery.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 07:40:47 AM »
Yes! I sent some stuff priority right after Thanksgiving, ID-CA and it all got there in the 4-5 days (for 3 day shipping) it always takes from here. I sent another priority package to CA on the 14th, and it has yet to arrive. Tracking shows that it made it from here to Los Angeles on the 15th. Then it just sat there until the 20th, when it went to another sorting facility in San Bernadino. As of today, that's where it still sits.

I would be less irritated, except their rates for packages weighing anything have really gone up. If I'm paying a King's ransom to ship, I expect faster service. Even factoring in Christmas, this is ridiculous.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 01:24:19 PM »
Yay, my package made it to Texas this morning.   =D

=|  Irving, TX near Dallas.  I am South of Houston.  Still got a ways to go. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 03:35:51 PM »
Here's some of the problem:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/why-millions-of-christmas-packages-will-be-late-this-year

I just looked, and my package is in another sorting facility in Los Angeles again. Only 200 miles to go. If I'm lucky, my "three day shipping" package still might make it to its destination by Christmas, which would be 11 days.

My sister sent me something, and didn't want to deal with the USPS lines where she lives, so walked into a near empty fedex shop and sent it two day economy for about what I paid for three day from USPS. She sent it this last Friday, and I got it yesterday.

So it seems despite what the article said, it's mostly a USPS problem, not all carriers.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 07:45:42 PM »
I'm getting somethings very quickly,  yet other things are taking forever.  A gun part shipped from Connecticut in the first week in December is still not here ..... a holster mailed from the southern part of Alabama (I live in N. 'Bama near the Tennessee River)  arrived in my city yesterday morning,  delivery was "rescheduled"  ? ?  and it did not arrive today.....

???
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 10:10:09 PM »
It's definitely been flustercluck season with USPS this year. "priority 2 day" has been running 2 weeks or so for stuff I've had shipped in.
I had one package hit the Tulsa distribution center, go to the distribution center in the city closest to me, get shipped to a distribution center on the far side of Tulsa, back to Tulsa, back to the nearest center then to my local post office for delivery. I had one package sit  in the distribution center in New Orleans for a solid week.
I can understand sitting for a week if they are absolutely swamped. I don't understand them shipping the package around in a circle twice. :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 11:49:08 AM »
Here's some of the problem:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/why-millions-of-christmas-packages-will-be-late-this-year

I just looked, and my package is in another sorting facility in Los Angeles again. Only 200 miles to go. If I'm lucky, my "three day shipping" package still might make it to its destination by Christmas, which would be 11 days.

My sister sent me something, and didn't want to deal with the USPS lines where she lives, so walked into a near empty fedex shop and sent it two day economy for about what I paid for three day from USPS. She sent it this last Friday, and I got it yesterday.

So it seems despite what the article said, it's mostly a USPS problem, not all carriers.

Almost the exact opposite of my experience with FedEx, but that was FedEx Ground.....   Approx a 1 week delay, and their customer "service" is a joke.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 01:16:31 PM »
I had a small first class package sent here from New Jersey recently.  It moved very rapidly from NJ to a suburb just west of Chicago, then I think they switched to a bicycle courier.  It took a week to get from there to St Paul (a less than 7 hour drive by truck), then 3 more days to go the 80 miles from St Paul to here.  But it did eventually get delivered.
"It's good, though..."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 04:10:09 PM »
Okay, so we sent out Christmas cards about 2 weeks before Christmas.  I just hear from my cousin that my Aunt and Uncle just got it on March 5.  They only live 245 miles away and in the same state.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 05:15:35 PM »
Okay, so we sent out Christmas cards about 2 weeks before Christmas.  I just hear from my cousin that my Aunt and Uncle just got it on March 5.  They only live 245 miles away and in the same state.
Might as well get a head start and send a card for this year.   =D

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 07:03:12 PM »
Might as well get a head start and send a card for this year.   =D

According to the Great Googly Moogly Maps it would take me 75 hours to walk it there.   :laugh:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 07:19:32 PM »
I've had several tracked USPS items the last several of months. Most of them make it to the closest regional distribution center and sit there at least a week.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 10:03:15 AM »
Thought I'd toss this in for grins and giggles since the thread revived...

Middle of February I got a sales/coupon card (big postcard style) from my local grocery chain. I was all excited because some of the coupons would save me a total of $40.

Then I noticed that they had expired...

They were dated for use the week BEFORE Christmas...

So they were actually mailed the first or second week of December, most likely, given their lead in to the holidays.

So... three months, roughly, to get marketing mail delivered. That's how freaking backed up the post office was. I also got a bunch of other Christmas-themed mail delivered well after Christmas, but that grocery circular took the cake.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 10:33:38 AM »
I follow three forums everyday and all three have a USPS sucks thread on the front page.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2021, 10:58:12 AM »
Not really relevant for the current delays, but last year the post office returned an undelivered 8 year old invoice to my company.  When accounting received it they wondered why it had the old style logo on it.