Author Topic: Movie comments: The Golden Compass No spoilers  (Read 1530 times)

Ssg Ken

Movie comments: The Golden Compass No spoilers
« on: July 03, 2008, 09:06:13 AM »
I rented the Golden Compass twice now.   I was considering buying a copy for when kids come over except for the fact that there is a commercial for the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) which says how Global Warming is not only a fact but it has now cut the ice for polar bears to feed on by half.   Then the website to give them money.   It will not be on VHS where I could record over it. 

It has one thing I have never ever witnessed in a modern movie.  The little girl exchanges valuable information with a warrior and he tells her "For this, I will serve you until I am dead,  or .  .  until you have finished your mission".  When the warrior talks to Sam Elliot, he simply says "We have a contract".  Sam has a role made for him or perhaps he and John Wayne created it with many other cowboy heroes.

Imagine that!  Without paper, two people come to an agreement and do what they say without question.  This is so seldom done today.  When I read the reviews on Netflix, many reviews were mad that it polluted the book.  Apparently, the book has many anti-religious and religious portions.  These were so subtle I did not notice.  There are some battle scenes that show death in what can be considered a religious meaning if you consider the Old Testament "ashes to ashes and dust to dust".  I am thinking that I will buy one and run it forward to the menu for any kids. 

So, Buy a copy or not?

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Movie comments: The Golden Compass No spoilers
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:07:16 AM »
Didn't see it. Trailers just screamed "greenscreen movie", and I'm tired of those.

Ssg Ken

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 09:08:21 AM »
I did not see that in the body of the movie.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 09:12:55 AM »
Imagine that!  Without paper, two people come to an agreement and do what they say without question.  This is so seldom done today.

"Seldom"?  It's done everyday in Conspiracy cases in courtrooms across this land. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Ssg Ken

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 09:19:31 AM »
Seldom"?  It's done everyday in Conspiracy cases in courtrooms across this land.
I guess a BATFE "trial" is a lot like a fantasy movie.  I have only seen one AFT agent on youTube.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
I just got around to seeing this movie a couple days ago. The thing that struck me was how "rushed" everything seemed. By that, I mean that there wasn't a whole lot of plot or character development, the movie just kept pushing you forward. I'm sure it was better as a book, but I was disappointed by the screen adaptation.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 10:19:04 PM »
Having merely skimmed a dvd cover and seen a couple of trailers for it, it appears to me to be a poor green Hollywood attempt at a takeoff of The Lord of the Rings. Giant polar bears and all.

-------------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org/oldindex.html
http://www.gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 10:50:17 PM »
LotR featured giant polar bears?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

LAK

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 12:23:29 AM »
No, they just stick out like sore thumbs in GC to me.

"OK, we need some friendly benevolent creature, animal, for our heroin to ride around on ...... um ......... uhh ........ eehhh ..................."

"Polar bears! How about polar bears?!"

"Yeah .. polar bears. Save the polar bears .. polar bears watching the northern lights drinking coca cola. Yeah ..."

Polar bears?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 02:43:54 AM »
a DVD Ripper is a fine thing for editing the studio's ad content from your backup copy
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »
a DVD Ripper is a fine thing for editing the studio's ad content from your backup copy

Only if you're recording to a double-layer disc. Most of the rippers out there compress the feature to fit it on a single layer disc, resulting in inferior picture quality. They're good for making expendible copies of childrens' movies for the player in their room, since they'll be ruined again and again, but that's about it.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »
---bashing head against desk-------

read the darn BOOK. please just read the book. i hate that movie so much. there is no WAY they can sell all three (its part of a trilogy) to kids.

its a pholosophical study of religion. and it gets much darker and much more interesting as it goes.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds