Author Topic: Is there a skunk expert in the house?  (Read 12812 times)

Standing Wolf

• friend
Is there a skunk expert in the house?
« on: August 18, 2009, 06:55:50 PM »
I thought I saw a skunk in the back yard about 2:00 in the morning a week or so ago. I definitely smelled a whiff of skunk in the house a few evenings ago. I saw a skunk sneaking under the deck in the back yard after this afternoon's rain and hail storm.

The deck is close to the ground, and covers an area about the size of a small bed room. I'm glad the skunk is there rather than in the crawl space beneath the house; I'd greatly prefer, however, the critter made its home elsewhere.

Does anyone know a good way to encourage a skunk to look for greener pastures without causing the varmint to unleash stink?

Thanks, eh?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Jim147

• friends
Re: Is there a skunk expert in the house?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 06:58:17 PM »
The Marlin model 60 does pretty good. In a pinch I have used a 250 grain .45 but that may have been a bit much. =D

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 06:58:44 PM »
Rat poison?

Meat soaked in antifreeze?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 07:20:50 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 07:24:47 PM »
Supposedly moth crystals work.  Apply liberally - as in if you think you spread enough, go get another box and add that to the anout already applied.

Havahart traps are OK if you have someone else who will be pulling them out and dealing with the polecat.  If you are elected, a few gallons of tomato juice may be a good additional item to have on hand.

Do you need/want to keep the house?  If not, burn the sucker out! :angel:

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 07:28:06 PM »
Tomato juice is a waste of time. Get a bottle of the Skunk-off I linked to in my previous post. I've used it a number of times over the years on a couple different dogs and it works great.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 07:30:39 PM »
Touch off and nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 08:09:34 PM »
My friend and I were recruited to deal with a similar problem a couple of months ago.

Things we learned (that the internet won't tell you):

1) A skunk 18" long, standing 7-8" high, and 8 or so inches wide will fit through a hole 2x3".  Plan accordingly.
2) Skunks are impervious to 95% of air rifles/ pistols available at Wal-Mart.
3) Skunks are silent, and move silently too.  Don't even try listening for them.  They will approach close to you, intentionally or not.  They can charge you.
4) Skunk-stink: insoluble with water or water-based anythings (including tomato juice).  Lighter fluid, gasoline, or denatured alcohol might work, but this remains untested.  Skunk-stink smells like new tires and garlic up close.
5) Skunks will eat anything you or your pets eat.  Smellier bait attracts better, of course, but a trap will just as likely catch possums or local cats.  For some reason, egg and tuna salad works best.
6) Skunks are primarily nocturnal.  Lights and/ or noise will scare them back into their hiding place, not away from it. Plan accordingly.
7) Skunks are far smarter than the average pest.  About the level of an intelligent cat.  Thus, trying to drive them out from behind garbage cans by throwing baseballs, the baseball bat, and angle-iron does not work.
8) Skunks can't climb very well.  They are, however, adept diggers.  Plan entrance-sealing accordingly.
9) Being mammals, skunks might have a weakness with mace/ OC.  This remains untested.
10) Have someone help with everything from flanking to driving to hours-long conversations whispered while waiting for the skunk to show up.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 08:31:30 PM »
Moth balls! Works like a charm, except the yard will smell like,,,moth balls.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 08:31:57 PM »
we use a bakeing soda/hydrogen peroxide/dish soap mix at work on skunked dogs. it usually works. as to getting the little critter away....

black cat with white markings as a lure?  :lol:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

220_SWIFT

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 10:26:30 PM »
More than likely you have beetle grubs in your yard, and that is the food source of the skunks.  If you notice spots dug up in your yard, that is your smoking gun.  Apply the proper pesticide to your yard to kill grubs, and the skunks will leave when the food supply is gone.  This is also the easiest, best way to get rid of moles as they eat the same.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 12:05:33 AM »
More than likely you have beetle grubs in your yard, and that is the food source of the skunks.  If you notice spots dug up in your yard, that is your smoking gun.  Apply the proper pesticide to your yard to kill grubs, and the skunks will leave when the food supply is gone.  This is also the easiest, best way to get rid of moles as they eat the same.

Nah, that's too easy.  You've got to use fire.  Lots and lots of fire!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 06:58:05 AM »
if possible, close up holes under deck.  leave one opening for skunk to leave by, then close that when sure pest has left.  i use loose sand to watch for tracks leaving.  have heard ammonia doused rag works, but don't know.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 09:12:22 AM »
I had a skunk problem at the old house.  There were about 6 neighbors in the area and the skunks kept moving from location to location.

We hired an exterminator and he clued me in on the secret.

He'd loosely put newspaper over the holes we THOUGHT they were in.  Once we found out where they were, he set have a heart traps.

He baited them with wet dog or cat food, I don't remember which.

Once caught, and this is where it takes some testicular fortitude, he'd grab a blanket and walk up to the cage slowly.

When the animal looked like it was getting agitated, he'd stop and talk calmly to the animal.

Once it calmed down, he'd slowly advance again.

Once he got to the cage, he'd put the blanket over it and he'd put it in the back of his truck.

He said that the skunks wouldn't spray if they couldn't see.

He had been doing it for 20+ years that way and was sprayed once... a swift wind had blown the blanket up and the skunk got scared and sprayed him.

Once in the back of the truck, it's your call.  Let them go several miles away?  Trash barrel full of water?  .22?  Your call.
One day at a time.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 09:19:15 AM »
Be careful how close you are to them and how close they are to the house should you decide to dispatch one.  It might let go.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 11:52:17 AM »
Be careful how close you are to them and how close they are to the house should you decide to dispatch one.  It might let go.

No. It will let go. Same as your sphincters loosening upon death, the skunk will reflexively release its musk. It can't be helped, as best I can tell.

Drowning it in a large body of water will disperse the musk, and keep it out of the air but if you have to reach in to pull out the trap and the corpse, you're likely to get the stuff on you.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 12:19:30 PM »
Several times when we had a skunk problem, we got live traps from the local police department and set them up in our back yard.

Over time, we caught possums, a grey fox, and even a blue jay in addition to several skunks. Animal control USED to use the "approach slowly with a blanket" ploy, but after getting sprayed more than once the normal SOP is for the officer with a .410 in the trunk to dispatch the skunk from about 10 yards distance.

It still lets go, but at least the officer isn't sprayed.

Note that skunks can carry any and all likely diseases including rabies. When the skunk is out in the daytime, or if he's acting peculiar, be especially careful.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 04:33:43 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 12:36:52 PM »
Leave a card for the skunk with Ladysmith's address on it and some money for bus fare. She seems to like all critters.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 01:00:17 PM »
Don't laugh....people have the stink glands removed and keep them as pets....
One day at a time.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 01:08:33 PM »
12 gauge in the head.  If  you shoot them in the head, they will not spray. You have to use enough gun.  Wife shot one with her 38 and paid the price.  We could not live in the house for 2 weeks.  I use mothballs at my camp and never have had a problem.  Armadillos don't like them either.......chris3

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 02:22:02 PM »
I've baited them with cat food- they love the stuff. I have shot them every way you can shoot them and a mature skunk will stink no matter what you shoot him with or where you shoot him. only the immature ones don't spray.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 02:44:47 PM »
Leave a card for the skunk with Ladysmith's address on it and some money for bus fare. She seems to like all critters.

Yes, I do. I also have no problem with others dispatching critters they consider pests, however…

Does anyone know a good way to encourage a skunk to look for greener pastures without causing the varmint to unleash stink?

…it doesn't appear that Standing Wolf was asking for means of dispatch.

Why is it whenever someone posts a question asking for non-lethal means of removing an animal, be it relocating skunks or finding another home for a cat, people feel the need to chime in with means, often gruesome, of killing it?

Strange that this "kill it!!!" bias doesn't extend to dogs.

In this, the most public of forums, what image of us does that portray? Are we a bunch of Bubbas who seem bent on killing something…anything…just because we have guns? ???

Just something to consider.
And no, I'm not mad. I honestly would like to know.
If the answer is "it's just jokes", then know that it gets tiresome after the billionth time. :|
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 04:16:05 PM »
I wonder how grilled skunk would taste.Assuming the meat could be harvested w/o being oil contaminated.

Like bear or racoon probably?
jeff w

I like onions!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 04:40:07 PM »
Strange that this "kill it!!!" bias doesn't extend to dogs.
With the exception of aggressive/uncontrolled dogs, canines are widely regarded as likable - man's best friend, and all.

That isn't the case with rodents, mustelids, felines, armadillos, and other damaging/dangerous/nuisance vermin.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 05:12:25 PM »
My neighbor across the river actually encourages people who have caught skunks to release them on his place.  Seems they work great for gopher control.

That's one reason I won't shoot one on my place unless he's causing problems or appears diseased.