Author Topic: Is there a skunk expert in the house?  (Read 12814 times)

coppertales

• friend
Re: Is there a skunk expert in the house?
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 05:18:05 PM »
If skunks are good for gopher control, I must not have any at my camp because I have gophers up the wazooo......For gophers, I take a shovel, cut the tunnel, leaving it exposed.  I then position a lawn chair opposite the opening and seat myself down with my AK and wait for the glob of dirt to plug the tunnel, then I plug the tunnel.  If I am successful, the wife gives me a beer......chris3

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 05:18:18 PM »

That isn't the case with rodents, mustelids, felines, armadillos, and other damaging/dangerous/nuisance vermin.

...don't forget politicians.....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 05:50:55 PM »
With the exception of aggressive/uncontrolled dogs, canines are widely regarded as likable - man's best friend, and all.

That isn't the case with rodents, mustelids, felines, armadillos, and other damaging/dangerous/nuisance vermin.

Ah. If a critter isn't considered likeable, then it's ok to destroy it.
That's simple.
But then, I never considered the guys here to be simple creatures.  :|
I base this on the evidence I've seen of guys here coming up with complex solutions in the realms of science, computers, weaponry, fuel consumption, etc.
Yet, when it comes to relocating one (unlikeable) animal, the solution is simple: kill it.

Still doesn't seem quite right. ???
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Lee

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009, 07:49:08 PM »
Get a black cat and paint a stripe down her back to draw him out.  Then shoot them both.  Stop - I'm just kidding.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 09:03:49 PM »
Well, there's good news and there's bad news.

The bad news is the local animal control operation funded by my tax dollars doesn't do skunks. The good news is the gal suggested I look under P for pest control in the yellow pages. The bad news is the first place I called wanted $359. The good news is the other place wanted $150, and the fellow said he could come out this evening. The bad news is I'd rather not spend $150 on a skunk. The good news is there are three traps in the back yard, and in theory, at least, they capture skunks and prevent them from looking outside the trap so they won't get upset and squirt, and the fellow will pick up the critter in good order. The bad news is additional skunks cost $50 each. The good news is neighborhood cats and the fox aren't likely to end up in the traps. The bad news is it doesn't look as though there's a good, easy, affordable way to skunk-proof the deck.

Serves me right for not having a loud untrained dog in the back yard like all my neighbors, I guess.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2009, 12:47:31 AM »
Strange that this "kill it!!!" bias doesn't extend to dogs.

Unless you're talking to me.  =D

(Unlike most of APS, I prefer cats to dogs. )
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2009, 06:42:22 AM »
Unless you're talking to me.  =D

And unlike most of APS, we now know perzackly what is wrong with you.  Thank you for filling in the missing piece.  =)

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2009, 10:12:33 AM »
We had the cutest li'l baby skunk under our shed. The mothballs did do the trick. The yard just smells like grandma's closet.  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2009, 10:36:11 AM »
Count me in with the trap and relocate crowd.  I even relocate chipmunks.  The older I get, the less bloodthirsty I have become regarding critters other than sentient critters.  I'd trap and relocate certain sentient critters too, but then they'd have to make a movie about me. :angel: =D

Internet censors and Obama's Homeland Security JBT's....Juuuuuust kiddin'.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »
And unlike most of APS, we now know perzackly what is wrong with you.  Thank you for filling in the missing piece.  =)

stay safe.

skidmark

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha...........................
One day at a time.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 11:35:48 AM »
Ah. If a critter isn't considered likeable, then it's ok to destroy it.
That's simple.
But then, I never considered the guys here to be simple creatures.  :|
I base this on the evidence I've seen of guys here coming up with complex solutions in the realms of science, computers, weaponry, fuel consumption, etc.
Yet, when it comes to relocating one (unlikeable) animal, the solution is simple: kill it.

Still doesn't seem quite right. ???

Pests are pests.  I'd rather not relocate my problem into someone else's back yard. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2009, 12:18:16 PM »
The skunk is gone, and so is $150. Whew!

The critter was quiet in the trap, (think of a large plastic mail box,) and didn't unleash torrents of stink. He'll be "put down," which is to say: killed in plain English. Releasing skunks means other people will probably end up with them: they're not only entirely at home in suburban and urban environments, but prefer them to the wild.

The skunk trapper wanted $500 to add skunk- and raccoon- and dog- and rodent-proof wire to my deck, and said nothing does a good job of repelling critters. I'm going to have to think all this over awhile.

Thank you for all the suggestions, one and all, along with the hare-brained notions and goofy thoughts that keep the internet 43,892% more interesting than television.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2009, 12:31:16 PM »
we have skunk that visit our yard, but my dogs rovings and markings must make them move onward
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2009, 08:39:17 PM »
Aw, shucks, you didn't use fire.  Lots and lots of fire.  What a boring outcome.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

LadySmith

• friends
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2009, 09:00:02 PM »
Pests are pests.  I'd rather not relocate my problem into someone else's back yard. 

Understandable. Your problem, your solution. But if it's someone else's problem and they came for non-lethal advice…

Nevermind. The lesson learned is that one shouldn't ask a certain people in certain places about such things.
 =(
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2009, 03:37:43 PM »
Understandable. Your problem, your solution. But if it's someone else's problem and they came for non-lethal advice…

Nevermind. The lesson learned is that one shouldn't ask a certain people in certain places about such things.
 =(

If someone came here saying "I want to get the roaches out of my house, but don't want to kill the poor dears" would you still be unhappy with us for saying "Kill em"?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2009, 03:48:43 PM »
Balog, what would your course of action be if she did?

IOW, consider your audience here at APS - Everybody.

I know I sound like a broken record these days, but one person's elimination of vermin is another's wanton carnage. 

Know what I mean?

Measured responses, people.  Please.

That's not saying this is the LadySmith Save the Furry Little Critters Forum, but I'd rather not see folks tweaking others just because they can, either. 

We can all agree to disagree, no problem.  Just be cool about it.  A crusty old Chief Master Sergeant once told me, "You can always tell somebody to go to Hell - just make sure they enjoy the trip".  Truer words were never spoken, IMHO.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2009, 03:53:24 PM »
I wasn't being challenging, I am honestly curious. It just seems a lot of double standards going on, and not just from LadySmith.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2009, 04:09:33 PM »
I don't disagree.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2009, 06:22:32 PM »

That's not saying this is the LadySmith Save the Furry Little Critters Forum, but I'd rather not see folks tweaking others just because they can, either. 

Irony, thy name is G98....  :lol:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2009, 08:23:25 PM »
S2, if you want a piece of me, you can certainly take it to PM.

LadySmith

• friends
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2009, 03:02:07 AM »
If someone came here saying "I want to get the roaches out of my house, but don't want to kill the poor dears" would you still be unhappy with us for saying "Kill em"?

No double standard.

The person asking the question made it clear that they did not want the roaches dead, so why offer suggestions on killing them?
To me it's no different than someone asking how to repair a car and people chiming in with suggestions on blowing it up.
It's simply a matter of relevance to the question asked and my not understanding why the answers are often so cloaked in destruction. ???

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2009, 03:29:06 AM »

I agree.

No double standard.

The person asking the question made it clear that they did not want the roaches dead, so why offer suggestions on killing them?

Hatred? Greater than average bloodthirstiness? Because one scared the person when they were a kid? Such emotions, though completely natural, can be irrational and in many cases voicing them is juvenile. The former two partially explain my opinions on the proper punishment of criminals. At least in the case of punishment acting out my emotions would be beneficial to society.

LadySmith

• friends
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2009, 06:24:54 AM »
Hatred? Greater than average bloodthirstiness? Because one scared the person when they were a kid? Such emotions, though completely natural, can be irrational and in many cases voicing them is juvenile.

Thank you, Freedom Lover for an answer to my question.  =)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2009, 10:47:43 AM »
because "Kill it with Fire" is a meme
but Millhouse is not
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"