Author Topic: What's Spanish for "kitty?"  (Read 3319 times)

Standing Wolf

• friend
What's Spanish for "kitty?"
« on: October 21, 2009, 04:32:40 PM »
If I'm talking about a female kitten named "Kitty," would I say "Gatito," or "Gatita?" Is there a better way to say "Kitty" in Spanish?

Thanks, eh?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
Re: What's Spanish for "kitty?"
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 04:38:50 PM »
"Gatita" is what my (native Bolivian) MIL calls our female cats, so I guess that's about as canonical as you can get...
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 04:39:50 PM »
"Gatita" is what my (native Bolivian) MIL calls our female cats, so I guess that's about as canonical as you can get...
"Gatita" for a shemale, "Gatito" for a male.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 04:45:57 PM »
If I'm talking about a female kitten named "Kitty," would I say "Gatito," or "Gatita?" Is there a better way to say "Kitty" in Spanish?

Thanks, eh?
If the cat's name is "Kitty," then you would say "Kitty" in Spanish.  If you know a Mexican man named Juan, do you call him John?   :police: =D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 05:17:21 PM »
Are you asking about dating advice?   :cool:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 08:49:48 PM »
If the cat's name is "Kitty," then you would say "Kitty" in Spanish.  If you know a Mexican man named Juan, do you call him John?

Oh. I guess I could have been clearer. The "kitten" is a cheetah cub in the novel I'm working on. The household consists of English and Spanish speakers. The former call her "Kitty," the latter "Gatita" until the last chapter, when she's named "Flowers" for her habit of attacking flowers in vases.

Thanks, all!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 09:22:20 PM »
After she's broken enough vases and they get tired of calling her "Flowers", will they call her Tamales?  Or will gatita grow large, tire of flowers, and call her bi-lingual household "la comida"?
For entertainment purposes only.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 09:58:59 PM »
La comida=food
Flowers, flores.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 10:09:25 PM »
If the cat's name is "Kitty," then you would say "Kitty" in Spanish.  If you know a Mexican man named Juan, do you call him John?   :police: =D

No, but if your name is John a Hispanic is likely to call you Juan.

Ever see a Spanish language newspaper? It's "instructive" in the way they think. In an American newspaper, we print the names of Hispanic people and places the way they say them. Buenos Aires is ... Buenos Aires, not "Good Airs." San Carlos is ... San Carlos, not "Saint Charles."

In a Hispanic paper (or telecast), New York becomes "Nueva York." Philadelphia becomes "Filadelfia." His Royal Highness, Prince Charles of England, is "El Principe Carlos."

Small wonder they expect to fly Mexican (or whatever Latin American country they come from) flags in the United States. They have what is sometimes referred to on the street as "an attitude."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 11:35:11 PM »
If my neighbors see them.....then "Tamale" would be appropriate....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 02:01:14 PM »
Or will gatita grow large, tire of flowers, and call her bi-lingual household "la comida"?

Cheetahs are highly unlikely to be able to kill humans. Their jaws are too weak to kill ANTELOPE and have to suffocate their prey. Their claws are dull like a dog's.

Cheetahs have been domesticated before as the pharoahs used them as hunting animals. The story would be VERY unlikely to have an unhappy ending of the cat going nuts and killing everyone.

(I was FASCINATED by cheetahs growing up. Thus I have a large number of facts about these cats in my head.)

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought