Author Topic: Fun with truck repair: audio...  (Read 1108 times)

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Fun with truck repair: audio...
« on: March 19, 2006, 08:38:36 AM »
Howdy all! In my continuing saga to get my dakota up and running, I've worked my way to the CD player. This was a theft recovery vehicle, so of course the old model was stolen. I did get a used factory CD player though and am in the process of hooking it up.

First I had to wire a new extension onto the old (16 count) wires where they chopped the extension out. Unfortunately, the radio still isn't turning on. So, that leaves three possibilities to my mind: the cd player itself is busted already (possible), bad wiring by me or fuse trouble.

I put a new fuse in and that didn't help. The wiring is pretty straight forward, so I don't really believe that's it.

Here's the questions I've got so far:

1) Anyone familiar with car audio work know how many plugins should be on the cd player? I've got the one main 16-wire extension and the antenna hookup. There is, however, a smaller slot for another plugin next to the main extension, but I've not found any wires/etc that could go there.

2) Anyone know if a car audio place can 'test' my cd player to see if it is functioning properly? It would help to be able to isolate that variable.

3) Anyone know what a good make of 6" speakers is for the doors? They were stolen too and I don't know what a quality brand is in this arena.

Thoughts, amigos?
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

grampster

• friend
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 08:41:19 AM »
E-mail me if you like, and I'll give you my son's e-mail address.  He is an expert in these matters.
I'm sure he would give you a tip.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

yesterdaysyouth

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 03:55:35 AM »
if you wanna make the trip, i'm sure i could figure it out...

yesterdaysyouth

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 03:58:00 AM »
on second thought i'll be in lexington saturday ....

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 06:27:49 AM »
Hey, thanks so much for the offers gents! I will know more tomorrow concerning what my problems look like, as I'm going to have to pull out the wiring I did and take my radio and extension to an audio shop and have them check it out. If there's no problem with it, the wiring is the only other problem I can imagine.

From looking around car audio forums, it seems like that smaller outlet next to the larger one is not used on a factory setup. We shall see...

Hehe, I might be back in here tomorrow whining for some help though! Be back then...
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

yesterdaysyouth

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 01:25:26 PM »
can you get it to the todds rd. BW3's @4pm on saturday?

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 04:11:37 AM »
That's extremely good of you! Unfortunately I work all weekend, which kind of hinders me. I was able to get the radio tested yesterday, and they got it to turn on. That means either the fuse or more likely my wiring was bad. The cd player part was actually broken though, so I ordered a replacement to come in today. I'm going to wire it with extra wire so I can test things in a less cramped space, and maybe strip them all if I have to, to make sure the connections are good.

Is the width of the hole in the door for the speaker the same width as would be advertised on speakers for sale? Or do they measure the diameter from screw slot to screw slot? The holes are 6" but I couldn't find a 6" speaker in wally world (not that they're the definitive electronics supplier hehe).

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 01:09:56 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks much to all those who offered so much! Sorry I couldn't take people up on things, but was rarely in a place where I had a clear question and free time, at the same time.

There ended up being a short way downstream on the stereo plugin, and a blown fuse in an area I didn't know controlled the radio. I also put in some new 3-way 6.5" speakers this afternoon, and actually got the thing working. Woohoo! I almost cried when the radio display lit up, and when bad country music pumped through the speakers. Soon it will be a whole, living truck.....

Thanks again!