Author Topic: Bible fun  (Read 3324 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Bible fun
« on: May 12, 2006, 08:29:26 AM »
Post your favorite Bible verses.
I like this one:

If you have good sense, it will show when you speak.
But if you are stupid, you will be beaten with a stick.
Proverbs 10:13 (Contemporary English Version)
In the lips of him that hath understanding wisdom is found: but a rod is for the back of him that is void of understanding Proverbs 10:13 (KJV)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Bible fun
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 08:33:04 AM »
Countdown to moronic quibling: 10, 9, 8...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cosine

• Administrator
Bible fun
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 08:36:06 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Countdown to moronic quibling: 10, 9, 8...
And I'll help it along by throwing in a quote from the Epistle of St. James: Cheesy
For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith also without works is dead. - James, 3:26
Andy

grampster

• friend
Bible fun
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 09:22:38 AM »
This is the verse that puts most of life bumps into perspective for me.
Jeremiah 17 vs 5-8
This is what the Lord says:
Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends of flesh for his strength and whose heart turns away from the Lord.  He will be like a bush in the wastelands; he will not see property when it comes.  He will dwell in the parched placaes of the desert, in a salt land where no one lives.
But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whos confidence is in Him.  He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream.  It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green.  It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.

In the vein of our usual counsel on these matter's, please don't let this thread degenerate into argumentative oppositional snot throwing.   Remember, the Bible is a book that is very personal.  Its words should have an impact individually.  It is for each person to respond or not to those words in one's own life.  By treating the impact of those words at that level, one can share, perhaps in a kind way, how those words impact each of us, individually.  I think that may be what dasmi was looking for.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Bible fun
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 11:44:50 AM »
Here's some great verses:
"And The Lord said to Moses ... He who blasphemes the Name of The Lord shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him; the sojourner as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death." (Leviticus 24:13,16 RSV)

I love this one
"If your brother, the son of your mother, or your son, or your daughter, or the wife of your bosom, or your friend who is as your own soul, entices you secretly, saying, 'Let us go and serve other gods ... You shall stone him to death with stones, because he sought to draw you away from The Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage." (Deuteronomy 13:6,10 RSV)

Here's another couple goodies
"While the people of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day ... And The Lord said to Moses, "The man shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp." (Numbers 15:32,35 RSV)

Deuteronomy 17:1-7 "You shall not sacrifice to the LORD your God an ox or a sheep in which is a blemish, any defect whatever; for that is an abomination to the LORD your God. "If there is found among you, within any of your towns which the LORD your God gives you, a man or woman who does what is evil in the sight of the LORD your God, in transgressing his covenant, and has gone and served other gods and worshiped them, or the sun or the moon or any of the host of heaven, which I have forbidden, and it is told you and you hear of it; then you shall inquire diligently, and if it is true and certain that such an abominable thing has been done in Israel, then you shall bring forth to your gates that man or woman who has done this evil thing, and you shall stone that man or woman to death with stones. On the evidence of two witnesses or of three witnesses he that is to die shall be put to death; a person shall not be put to death on the evidence of one witness. The hand of the witnesses shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people. So you shall purge the evil from the midst of you.

So, is this why we're killing all the arabs...for practicing another religion?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Bible fun
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 11:47:41 AM »
That's exactly what we didn't need.
I am not for killing all the arabs, and I don't know anyone who is.  Thanks for playing.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Bible fun
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 11:53:21 AM »
Quote from: dasmi
That's exactly what we didn't need.
I am not for killing all the arabs, and I don't know anyone who is.  Thanks for playing.
Hey, its not my religion that teaches intolerance for practicing other religions....oh....crap...please don't stone me to death!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cosine

• Administrator
Bible fun
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 12:00:01 PM »
Dasmi, I just want to let you know that I do not intend to get involved in any quibbling. The comment in my post before the Bible verse I posted was meant as light-hearted humor, because if I recall correctly the Epistle of St. James is not regarding as a biblical book by some Christians, even if I regard it as biblical.

More of my favorites:
And while they were at supper, Jesus took bread and blessed it and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, and said, "Take and eat; this is my body." And taking a cup, he gave thanks and gave it to them, saying, "All of you drink this; for this is my blood of the new covenant, which is being shed for many for the forgiveness of sins." - Matthew, 26:26-28
"Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I also send you." When he had said this he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit; whose sins you forgive are forgiven, and whose sins you retain are retained." - John, 20:21-23
Andy

Bible fun
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 01:22:04 PM »
"How dieth the wise man? As the fool."

"Hear, O Israel: the LORD our God is one LORD:  and thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. "

"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself."

Perd Hapley

• friend
Bible fun
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 02:30:00 PM »
JamisJockey is confusin' me.  He says we're "killing the arabs" because some group of people wants to follow the laws of the Old Testament Israelite theocracy, or because we Americans are intolerant, or something like that.  

Then Fred Phelps is saying that God is killing our soldiers because America is too tolerant of "fags."  

They can't both be right.

Ron

Bible fun
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 02:42:19 PM »
John 11:35   Jesus wept.

cosine

• Administrator
Bible fun
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 02:52:35 PM »
I hope I'm not annoying dasmi by posting so often. Smiley

Some more:
In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. - Genesis, 1:1
As he was still speaking, behold, a voice out of the cloud said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Listen to him." Matthew, 17:5
He said to them... "for amen I say to you, if you have faith like a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Remove from here' and it will remove. For nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew, 17:19
Andy

Ron

Bible fun
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 03:01:53 PM »
Ecclesiastes 8:11   because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.
A problem with our justice system. Justice delayed is...

Ron

Bible fun
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 03:05:21 PM »
I love the meter of Psalm 1

1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

4 The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.

5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

6 For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

Ron

Bible fun
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 03:08:52 PM »
The  Gospel Truth

John 3:16   For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Ron

Bible fun
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 03:13:45 PM »
Hey, its not my religion that teaches intolerance for practicing other religions....oh....crap...please don't stone me to death!
You shouldn't display your ignorance of Biblical history and Theology. Oh, go ahead who cares, you're just a foolish ape   Wink

matis

• friend
Bible fun
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 04:52:40 PM »
Leviticus 19:15 You shall do no injustice in judgment; you shall not be partial to the poor nor defer to the great, but you are to judge your neighbor fairly.

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Bible fun
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 07:22:22 PM »
1 Kings 1
 1Now king David was old and stricken in years; and they covered him with clothes, but he gat no heat.
 2Wherefore his servants said unto him, Let there be sought for my lord the king a young virgin: and let her stand before the king, and let her cherish him, and let her lie in thy bosom, that my lord the king may get heat.
 3So they sought for a fair damsel throughout all the coasts of Israel, and found Abishag a Shunammite, and brought her to the king.
 4And the damsel was very fair, and cherished the king, and ministered to him: but the king knew her not.
An odd vignette, made odder by the King James Version.

Romans 6
11Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.  12Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, 13and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.  14For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.  15What then?  Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace?  May it never be! 16Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?

Stand_watie

• friend
Bible fun
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 08:45:55 PM »
On my anger toward God for life's hardships.

Job 38
Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said, 'who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me. Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding...'
On the meaning of life, what God demands of me.

Ecclesiastes 12

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
On the route to finding God.

John 1

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God.All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not
On forgiveness for others.

Act 7

And they stoned Stephen, [who was] calling upon God, and saying, 'Lord Jesus, receive my spirit'. And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, 'Lord, lay not this sin to their charge'. And when he had said this, he fell asleep
And perhaps the most stirring words in the Bible, spoken not by a human at all to the 'two Mary's' and Joanna

Luke 24
'And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, 'Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen...'
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Ron

Bible fun
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2006, 05:37:27 AM »
Here are some in relationship to a post I just made. Psalms 19:1-4

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.

There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.

Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
John 1 1-12

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The same was in the beginning with God.

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his     name

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Bible fun
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2006, 06:19:00 AM »
Judges 15:16: And Samson said, With the jawbone of an ass, heaps upon heaps, with the jaw of an ass have I slain a thousand men.

Now THAT is stopping power!

Exodus 15:4: Pharaoh's chariots and his host hath he cast into the sea: his chosen captains also are drowned in the Red sea.

Psalms 60:8: Moab is my washpot; over Edom will I cast out my shoe: Philistia, triumph thou because of me.

Just goes to show you that the translators might not have been on top of their game...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bemidjiblade

• friend
Bible fun
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2006, 02:20:59 PM »
Yesaiah 46:4
And to your old age I am he, and to your gray hairs I will sustain you
I have made and I will carry, I will sustain and I will rescue.

(Bruce Burns translation) Cheesy  I was working on this one in between tables this week.  Me likey

grampster

• friend
Bible fun
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2006, 04:18:17 PM »
"I will carry"   Certainly now it is beyond reproach that G-d believes in the 2A.  Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

trapperready

• friend
Bible fun
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2006, 05:17:41 PM »
A Reading from the Book of Armaments, Chapter 4, Verses 16 to 20:

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals ... Now did the Lord say, "First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

Perd Hapley

• friend
Bible fun
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2006, 05:40:12 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Exodus 15:4: Pharaoh's chariots and his host hath he cast into the sea: his chosen captains also are drowned in the Red sea.

Psalms 60:8: Moab is my washpot; over Edom will I cast out my shoe: Philistia, triumph thou because of me.

Just goes to show you that the translators might not have been on top of their game...
How would you translate them?