Author Topic: NoVa. inbound  (Read 2484 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
NoVa. inbound
« on: May 19, 2006, 06:50:24 AM »
...Jan 7th.  6 months to sell, buy, move.  Not a bad deal.  We're kinda looking in the Manassas and Bristow areas.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
NoVa. inbound
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 06:57:39 AM »
Mtnbrk, his wife, daughter, and I passed through a bit of Bristow the other evening looking for a store. The area we were in was amazingly rural.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Leatherneck

• friend
NoVa. inbound
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 07:06:37 AM »
I live just East of Bristow, in Independent Hill. Be careful choosing your commute route. I'd advise against the I-66 corridor because it's always jammed and the HOV lanes aren't physically separated, thus not as effective as the ones on I-95/395 (assuming you'll be coming inside the beltway to work). For planning purposes, I leave my driveway at 0545, stop in Dale City to pick up my van pool passengers, and pull into the Pentagon at 0630. Others can relate their tales of commuting via the 66 corridor.

Welcome to the gun-lovin' Old Dominion!

TC
TC
RT Refugee

mtnbkr

• friend
NoVa. inbound
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 07:11:45 AM »
Where you gonna be physically working?  

I66 sucks, but you'll get used to it and you'll learn the best times to travel.  Besides, all traffic corridors in NoVa suck at one time or another.  The key is determining WHEN to be on a particular road.  

Chris

Leatherneck

• friend
NoVa. inbound
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 07:18:12 AM »
Let me also add that a developer is nosing around wanting to add 5,800 new homes to a 160-acre patch in Bristow. He was just turned down by the PW Board of Supervisors, but he'll be back. That area is growing fast and the congestion will get far worse before it gets better.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
NoVa. inbound
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 07:19:31 AM »
Does anyone hate me because I work a little over 2 miles from my office, and it, on average, takes me less than 10 minutes to get to or from the office? Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
NoVa. inbound
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 07:24:49 AM »
Yes.  I take comfort knowing that the situation could change for the worse just by you moving to a different project within your company Smiley  

It's one of the reasons I don't worry about where I live or the current commute.  I could easily end up working closer to home or even further away depending on where my company chooses to send me.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
NoVa. inbound
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 07:29:22 AM »
You know, I've been down here for 16 years now.

My worst commute was when I worked in Herndon and lived in DC. 20 miles more or less, and the only time I ever had real problems was during winter weather or when a car broke down on Canal Road.

Other than that, I've never even come close to the kind of commute you do every day, Chris.

Jamisjockey

• friend
NoVa. inbound
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 10:30:09 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Does anyone hate me because I work a little over 2 miles from my office, and it, on average, takes me less than 10 minutes to get to or from the office? Smiley
Nope.  I don't hate you.  I'll be working in Vint Hill, which is off 215 NW of Bristow, between 29 and 28.  If we end up in bristow I'll be pretty darned close myself.  If we choose Bristow I'll be looking for a bike-commute route.
In otherwords, I don't have to commute into DC.  No way in hell I'd move there if the job was in DC.

Anyone know if the fishing in Lake Manassas is any good?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Leatherneck

• friend
NoVa. inbound
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 10:33:40 AM »
"Anyone know if the fishing in Lake Manassas is any good?"

Excellent. And the Shenandoah valley offers lots of good river fishing, as does the Potomac.

Glad you wont have to go inside the beltway. Biking in the area can be challenging, given that all the secondary roads are third-generation cowpaths with no shoulders.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

mtnbkr

• friend
NoVa. inbound
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 10:37:22 AM »
I thought only people who own land on Lake Manassas could use the lake?  I can't find a public boat ramp...

The Potomac has great smallmouth fishing.  The trib creeks are good too.  

Biking's good if you're close to the bike paths, but sucks otherwise (for local biking, if you're willing to drive, there are some great places for mtn biking).

This is a great trail and is on the water, so you can fish as well: http://www.nvrpa.org/fountainheadmap.html

It's short, but tough, especially in July when the humidity kicks in. Smiley

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
NoVa. inbound
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 11:05:18 AM »
"when the humidity kicks in..."

Oh, did anyone tell you about our summer weather here in DC.

We don't have heat and humidity.

We have an evil presence, a demond of the ancient world.

You know, a fricking Balrog.

Last summer wasn't too terrible, but 2 or 3 years ago was just incredibly grusome. One night I was on my patio at around 1 a.m. and it was still close to 90 with humidity pushing 70%.

That's an apparent temperature of around 106...

chaim

• friend
    • http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw
NoVa. inbound
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 12:41:09 PM »
Eeek, DC area humidity.  Why'd someone have to remind me of what's coming.  We've had a very mild spring so far so I've been able to fool myself into thinking "it can't be too bad this year" even though I know deep down...shudder....shocked

For those not from the area who don't understand...

We are south of the Mason-Dixon line so DC and VA are certainly southern and even MD is more or less a southern state (I guess it is technically a border state- parts of the state are Mid-Atlantic in outlook, parts are Southern, and parts are well, the NOVA, DC and Central MD area is pretty much its own thing...but geographically MD is basically the northernmost southern state).  It gets hot here- 90s in the summer is normal.  Humidity- much of central MD and NOVA is built up one-time swampland (DC is built on landfill), we have the Chesapeake Bay providing a lot of humidity and the Atlantic Ocean on one side and the Appalachian Mountains on the other side keeping that humidity from really being able to go anywhere.

Oh well, can't be as bad as the summer 3 or 4 years ago.  I was working as a long-term substitute teacher so I had the summer off.  I took a job in a summer camp, outside.  That summer it rained only once or twice, it hit the 100 degree mark several times, and rarely (if ever) got below 90 with our usual humidity on top of it all.  That was hell on Earth.  If nothing else, I'll be working inside this summer.
Come visit my MSN Group: Taurus Talk
http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw

mtnbkr

• friend
NoVa. inbound
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 12:54:25 PM »
But I like chewy air. Smiley

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
NoVa. inbound
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 01:07:25 PM »
I'm not afraid of riding on shoulderless roads, especially when the rest of the working world is at work.  Gotta rack up road miles, and anything short of a freeway will suffice.  And when I can't stand it, I break the springy-bikey out.
Bass fishing is my cup of tea.  I've got waders for those mountain streams Tongue
The weather doesn't scare me.  3 years in MS.  3 1/2 years coastal NC.  5 years in Yuma, AZ.  2 years in Brownsville, TX.  1 1/2 years in Beaumont, TX.  I've seen hot, hotter, and hotternhell.  Yuma and Brownsville being the hottest.
Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to getting out there.  Winter is too long in Utah, and all the coolest things to do rely on waiting for the (substantial) snowmelt.
JD

grampster

• friend
NoVa. inbound
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 01:31:22 PM »
Mike,

Didn't we have a poster by the name of MicroBalrog on THR?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
NoVa. inbound
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 03:23:58 PM »
Ah, summer in the DC Metro. 95F and 98% humidity. Every. Fricken. Day.
I spent 19 years there, so I guess that I am somewhat used to it. My wife, however, being from Seattle, lasted 1 summer there before giving the ultimatum: I'm moving to Seattle; if you want to come, that's ok, but I'm going regardless.
So, we spent the next 22 years in the Great Northwest. Then it was my turn: This always cloudy and rainy stuff is for the birds; I'm moving to someplace where the sun shines more than 3 days a year. If you want to come, fine, but I'm going regardless.
Hence the /nm part of my screen name.

Have fun in No VA. It is a beautiful place to live. My folks still live in Lovettsville. Just don't say that you weren't warned. Smiley

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
NoVa. inbound
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2006, 05:46:12 PM »
Lovettesville or Leesburg North

they are moving the commuters further and further out

once gas hits 5 bucks a gallon we will see if they can afford the commute and then watch the property values collapse
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
NoVa. inbound
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 07:45:32 PM »
"95F and 98% humidity."

It feels like it, but it's not possible to have that level of heat AND humidity combined.