Author Topic: TV Shopping  (Read 683 times)

bratch

• friend
TV Shopping
« on: May 21, 2006, 06:47:31 PM »
I'm trying to get a new TV for the new place and this is flat out work.  I've researched and read and can't come to a decision.  My living room has almost no good place to put a TV.  I was going to go with a LCD on the mantle but don't want to run all the wiring through the attic and out of the ceiling.  I have also looked at projections for the bookshelf.  Almost bought a 62" DLP but in the 10 minutes I was mulling it over it sold.  Have also looked into getting a rear projection tube TV to put in the bedroom.  Are these even worth it any more? I've noticed they are on the outs with the manufacturers and dealers.  

Any advice on the ongoing TV hunt?

TarpleyG

• friend
TV Shopping
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 03:16:57 AM »
I have been looking for a while now and have finally settled on a combination of rear projection and LCD.  I have a similar issue in that I don't have a good place for it but I have a corner that I can make work.  My bigger problem is that the room is absolutely horrible for surround sound so I am not even going to set up a HTS system yet.

Look at the Sony 3LCD Wegas...there is a 42" which I am looking to get and an indentical 50" that you may want.  How much didtance is there between you and the set?  61" is really big and you need to be 8-10' away from it to get an optimal viewing experience.

http://www.mytaxfree.com/viewproducts3.aspx?ID=3961&REF=strprc

bratch

• friend
TV Shopping
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 07:44:00 AM »
The living is currently set up with the couch angled so it mirrors the fireplace the built-in I'd use is to the side of the fireplace.  From the cabinet to the near part of the couch is 8 feet, the middle part is 10 feet, the far part is 12 feet and to the chair is about 12 feet.  If I ever find my camera I'll take a picture.

I'll look at the Sony Circuit City has a 61" projection LCD on sale for $2300 right now I'm going to look into as well.

TV Shopping
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 08:30:09 AM »
I personally do not own a TV anymore.
My 1979 13" Sony finally decided to not work after it bounced - again for the last time. I used it with rabbit ears...later just for watching a movie or training /education tape.

Mom on the other hand...
Needed a new TV, guess who was called? Me.  I begged, bribed, you name it to get one the other sibs I fired to do this...nope...gotta be me.

I am not a shopper per se' and had not been to the mall in years...didn't want to...

I get on the Internet with laptop at her place...OMG, could they screw up TV anymore than they have...and this just the TV - forget the crap one uses a TV for.

She liked her JVC, "Mom is it only a TV"
"Yes but Consumer Report , AARP, TV Preacher said"....arrrgghhh!
"Mom, I hate to break it to you - a lot of stuff is the same, made the same place, just a different name and price reflects marketing...have to make money so they can bribe the TV Preacher, AARP and CR to influence folks".

Yes - I got the "mom look".

Made no difference what I showed her off the internet....btw you think gun forums and reviews are nutzoid, do the entertainment stuff on the net..sheesh!

Fine, no matter what I find and read that brand X is brand Y  and on Tues it will be called brand Z...

"Your brother has a TV too big remember?'
'No mom, I don't have a brother and have no idea what house is actually theirs...only a general idea where, and no idea what he has for a TV or anything else..."

"The TV Preacher says you should ..."

I do the "son look"  Topic is stopped then and there.

Sears website> JVC > I have mom's model number and I find the newer version. I order the durn thing off the internet, they call 2 days later, I pull up to pick up area, they put into my truck bed. I have better things to do than to be in a store with shoppers gawking at stuff...

Mom "Wish my new TV would get here..."

I hand her new remote , push her finger to poke on..."Oh, it looks just...almost exactly like the one I had...JVC ...TV Preacher, CR,AARP....said..."

'I know mom...enjoy, I gotta box and TV to dispose of...."
'I wondered what all that stuff was in the bed of your truck..."

I have a PhD in Convection Ovens, Microwaves, Custom fit air filters...you name it - thanks to mom

I will never get a degree in Mom-ology.  There is not a degree for this thing...

32" JVC with new rabbit ears...best recall was less than $300

13" Sylvania with VHS  bult in antenna...$69 [TV Preachers and Toy Story...in the bedroom...I do not want to know...]

I guess been a year ago now...

"My TV is dusty" - she  told  me one day..

" I don't have that problem mom...never"