Author Topic: Weatherproof packing containers  (Read 1212 times)

Hutch

• friend
Weatherproof packing containers
« on: June 08, 2012, 08:42:42 PM »
Friends, I'd like to have some weatherproof containers to pack camping gear in to toss in the back of the pickup.  They should be weather tight with wind-proof lids.  It would be good if they would stack, but that's not a requirement.  The only thing I can think of is big coolers/ice chests.  Any other ideas?

Thanks!
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Weatherproof packing containers
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 09:02:38 PM »
Dry sacks.  5-gallon buckets with gamma seals.  If you are not going to be too concerned about repacking, the heavy-duty vacuum space-saver bags.  Mortar/artillery shell carriers from your local surplus store - also medical and electronics chests from there.

I like this thinking inside the box stuff. =D

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 09:08:19 PM »
I'm feeling a slogan coming on.

"Outside the box? It's in the bag." =)
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 09:27:15 PM »
Budget?

Pelican is the gold standard here, generally speaking, but it's all three figures for anything bigger than a cell phone box.

Rubbermaid has their "Action Packer" line. Pretty much just one of their general Attic/Basement storage boxes, but with a lid more like a cooler, and some reasonably decent latches and hinges for the lid. Pretty much purpose made for what you're asking. For riding in the bed of a pickup truck exposed to the elements.

Only Weather Resistant though. Not waterproof like the Pelican would be. But for something like improved campsite state campground car-camping, it would do the job with aplomb.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:36:42 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 10:25:56 PM »
AJ, that Rubbermaid stuff looks to be dead-solid perfect.  All that's left is for me to quit whining about the cost and pull the trigger.

Any and all other suggestions welcomed.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 12:09:44 PM »
I picked one of these up at home depot. Pretty beefy. Would be water proof not tight though.
Have it full of water for my indoor hydroponic system. Sides don't even bow.
FWI I'm growing lettuce.

http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Organization-Storage-Totes-Baskets-Utility-Totes/h_d1/N-5yc1vZb9od/R-202522825/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:24:38 PM by never_retreat »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 12:52:01 PM »
I see a lot of people locally using a Rubbermaid Action Packer as a top box on the back of a motorcycle.  They seal up pretty water resistant for our Seattle rain.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 01:13:06 PM »
http://www.govliquidation.com/list/c7541/lna/1.html

From ammo cans to ocean going.  Happy hunting.

55 Gallon drums with cam clamp lids?
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 03:25:26 PM »
The drum idea sounds good, but not in this application, in that the goal is to pitch camping gear, and suchlike into the back of the truck.  A 55g drum would be kinda unwieldy for that.

Keep 'em coming...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 06:03:34 PM »
I like roll top waterbags. I have had good luck with them keeping my gear dry in canoe country.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 08:28:51 PM »
You can get polymer 55 gallon drums which are a bit lighter than the steel drums.  I think they might make 35 gallon versions, but I am not certain. 

http://www.n2itcontainers.com/distributor/drums/poly-drum
We use drums from these guys at work. 

I might go for a steel drum myself as we occasionally get hold of some that we then have to dispose of. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 09:29:48 PM »
http://www.n2itcontainers.com/distributor/drums/poly-drum
We use drums from these guys at work.
We use similar poly drums (approximately 10 gal size) that silica gel comes packed in. They have a lever lock collar, a gasketed lid (air tight) and are nearly indestructable.
Most of them usually go home with employees because they are so useful. A lot of people do use them for camping/canoeing gear.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 11:06:59 PM »
The drum idea sounds good, but not in this application, in that the goal is to pitch camping gear, and suchlike into the back of the truck.  A 55g drum would be kinda unwieldy for that.

Over in the automotive section of WalMart, they tend to have some trunk/truckbed boxes of about footlocker size for $20-25 that are reasonably weather resistant and durable.  Not waterproof by any stretch, but tough, and will keep the rain off.  Pack stuff in trash bags inside and it should be fine.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 11:11:44 PM »
Over in the automotive section of WalMart, they tend to have some trunk/truckbed boxes of about footlocker size for $20-25 that are reasonably weather resistant and durable.  Not waterproof by any stretch, but tough, and will keep the rain off.  Pack stuff in trash bags inside and it should be fine.

I use one of those to keep my gear from rolling around in the back of my Explorer.  I've had it for something like 6 years now and it's held up pretty damn well.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth