Author Topic: Carbon copy  (Read 1197 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Carbon copy
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2023, 12:13:01 PM »
Carbon paper was discontinued because it's carbon and is a major cause of globular wormoning. :P :O [tinfoil] :old:

And now a word from Al Gore

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

castle key

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2023, 01:57:33 PM »
I'm a retired police officer. I cut my teeth in the "old school" and retired just before the "defund" stuff grew legs.

Early career, in DC, one place I worked, the prosecution report, the infamous PD 163, known informally as the "Dingbat" demanded six copies. The original had to be original front and back.

These Dingbats had carbon paper between sheets. The drill was tear, don't flip, slide aside, flip carbon paper, place on stack.

Really long reports almost always revealed a failure to flip or slide when needed and since the front original didn't include a back original, the Selectric had to be reloaded and the report restarted.

We made progress with computers, but needed the huge floppy disc to be inserted with the form filler program.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2023, 02:09:57 PM »
The waste manifest sheets have from the local landfill company are "carbon copy" documents with the dot matrix paper strips on the sides that you can tear off.  They don't use an old style carbon sheet, but it is the coating on the back of the sheets.  Since about 4 different people including us have to keep a copy of the paperwork, that is the easiest way to make sure copies are retained. 

Anything more than normal office waste has to have a waste manifest.  My site doesn't normally have anything more than scrap wood or filters. 

I haven't heard of "courtesy copy" either. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2023, 02:13:23 PM »
I also have "BCC" on my e-mail, supposedly for "Blind Carbon Copy."  I never use it since I think it's not cricket to include a third party to the exchange without my main addressee knowing about it.

-------------------

I'm not clear on why that is.  I had also heard that lumber companies / yards like dot matrix printers as well, and I'm not clear on why that is, either.

I have two functioning ones.

Terry, 230RN

I have seen bcc: used a lot for distribution emails.  If someone hits "Reply All", that does not pick up the bcc: emails.  I have seen "Reply All" used by idiots to ask questions on distribution emails far too many times.  The most fun is when multiple people start replying to all saying there must be a problem as they shouldn't be getting the replies.   =)
Using bcc also means people getting the email can't see the distribution list (supposedly).
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2023, 05:48:18 PM »

I'm not clear on why that is.  I had also heard that lumber companies / yards like dot matrix printers as well, and I'm not clear on why that is, either.

I have two functioning ones.

Terry, 230RN

Dot matrix printers are tough and last a long time. Evraz, Rocky Mountain Steel here still uses them, and they are (or were) the largest steel mill west of the Mississippi.  They've been in business since 1880.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2023, 06:35:34 PM »

We made progress with computers, but needed the huge floppy disc to be inserted with the form filler program.

Did you have to turn the floppy disc over to type page 2?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2023, 10:18:57 PM »
Biggest problem with dot-matrices (?? plural??) was the ribbon.  I found I could re-vive ribbons with some judicious squirts of wd-40 In the ribbon case.

One of mine  is an NX-10, I believe the the other is an Epson. I have the manuals for them and AFAIK drivers are available on line.

Wife1 and I went to a World's Fair in Noo Yawk in the early 60s --not sure if we were married or not yet.  The telephone company was just breaking into touch-tone and had a demonstration where you could dial a number on a dial and then on a touchpad  and the machine would time you on both dialing methods.  Touchtone came out on top every time.  I remember wondering what the hell the * and # buttons were for.

They had an offhanded explanation that they were for other functions, and I wondered what those "other functions" were.

And in later years I was constantly frustrated with the fact that "1,2,3" were at the top of the phone dial, whereas I had learned touch-adding on adding machines (and later, calculators) where  the "1,2,3" was at the bottom. Dayamcrapballs!

The Fair also had a booth where you could actually see yourself on Television!  "Come on, honey, let's smooch on Television !"

But she was too shy.

Our number back them was FLushing 3-nnnn  and as a small child, I remember my mother drilling that number into me if I ever got lost. This was even before area codes and if you wanted to dial outside your connectivity area you had to go through an operator.

( =D  An "operator" was a real live person you could actually talk to in English.  There was no "Press 1 for English.... Press 97 for Mesopotamian..."  And "Press zero for a half hour of crappy music specifically designed to get you to hang up in disgust even though your call is important to us....supposedly..."  =D  )

Terry, 230RN

REf:
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/smooch

« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 10:46:30 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2023, 10:38:40 PM »

( =D  An "operator" was a real live person you could actually talk to in English.  There was no "Press 1 for English.... Press 97 for Mesopotamian..."  And "Press zero for a half hour of crappy music specifically designed to get you to hang up in disgust even though your call is important to us....supposedly..."  =D  )

"And our menu has changed [not!], so be sure to listen carefully to all the prompts before making your selection."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2023, 10:44:37 PM »
Used to really love the AT&T help desk line.
Read off in at least double speed: For faster service go to our website at
H TTP://wedontreallycare/1239087562/abondonhopeallyeewhoenterhere/98625347128/areyoustilltrying/287561267//.net
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2023, 10:51:22 PM »
"And our menu has changed [not!], so be sure to listen carefully to all the prompts before making your selection."

LOL  yeah, I forgot that one.  Whenever I hear "Press two for Spanish, my immediate involuntary response is " Auf Englische, bitte!"  Insensitive of me, wot?

I often let that creep out when I hear foreign lingo out in the world. 

I remember my father telling me that his father would not let German be spoken in the house, ca. 1910 AD. "Ve are Americainischer now und ve vill speak English vie Americanischer," he would imitate his father.  That still makes me laugh when I think of it
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 11:04:29 PM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2023, 07:42:36 AM »
Don't get me started on the AT&T Help Desk...

It's outsourced to Bangalore (at least the functions I needed were) and depending on who you get the combination of static on the VOIP line and the accent could make things... difficult.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2023, 08:14:37 AM »

It's outsourced to Bangalore

Yeah, I can see why they wouldn't be the best help desk personnel.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2023, 08:21:09 AM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2023, 09:37:33 AM »
H TTP://wedontreallycare/1239087562/abondonhopeallyeewhoenterhere/98625347128/areyoustilltrying/287561267//.net

Which was especially helpful when the problem was that your AT&T DSL Internet wasn't working, so it would have been impossible to go their web site in any event.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2023, 10:01:39 AM »
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2023, 10:04:27 AM »

It's outsourced to Bangalore (at least the functions I needed were) and depending on who you get the combination of static on the VOIP line and the accent could make things... difficult.

Yes, that and it seems like they're doing some kind of digital chopping or data compression on it which makes it even impossibler to  understand them.  Hey, at over 80yo, my hearing isn't that bad, but I've had to ask "them" (not only ATT) to spell things oout for me.l  It's almost as if they're somehow dropping every fifth or so  byte from their digitization of their voices.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2023, 09:42:48 AM »

That has got to be the greatest URL I've ever seen, but too close to the truth to be really funny,

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 01:24:04 PM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2023, 12:09:42 PM »
Since outsourcing was brought up, my employer recently changed their purchasing system outsourcing.  They had gone to India (or somewhere nearby) and it never worked well.  They recently changed to either Argentina or Brazil (I forget).  The service and speed of getting purchase order requests has improved a great deal.   

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2023, 01:21:39 PM »
Since outsourcing was brought up, my employer recently changed their purchasing system outsourcing.  They had gone to India (or somewhere nearby) and it never worked well.  They recently changed to either Argentina or Brazil (I forget).  The service and speed of getting purchase order requests has improved a great deal.   

Well that's racist as hell!