Author Topic: Weeping four-year-old girl accused of carrying a GUN by TSA officers  (Read 14084 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Weeping four-year-old girl accused of carrying a GUN by TSA officers
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 12:14:07 PM »
not sure if i can plan it that i'd share it  give me a day or to to finish work and i'll get back to you pm

right off the top of my head several guys with "internal bombs " in the cabin could make a mess   or a crew member in the cockpit

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

erictank

• friends
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 12:30:38 PM »
not sure if i can plan it that i'd share it  give me a day or to to finish work and i'll get back to you pm

right off the top of my head several guys with "internal bombs " in the cabin could make a mess   or a crew member in the cockpit

Cockpit crew can ALREADY kill everyone on the plane, and possibly many on the ground as well, without the use of explosives.  Let's refrain from irrelevancy.

And if you can find a dozen or so people to agree to 1-lb C4 enemas and are all willing to get on the same plane in order to take it out, AND can get detonators through security, then you're also skewing the issue there as well.  And I'd really like to see you defend mandatory cavity searches for everyone getting on a plane, or even random cavity searches - how do you imagine THAT will go over?

Remember, the single "butt-bomber" who managed to get a detonation did not in fact actually kill ANYONE, IIRC - not even his target right in front of him. Could such a person DAMAGE an aircraft? Sure. I imagine his seat would be messed up, and he might apparently cause some injuries, even. Doesn't seem like he'd blow even a small hole in the hull, though.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 12:42:14 PM »
This would have been a good opportunity for a lesson in how to deal with idiot thugs.

Honey, don't do what that man says. Lay down on the ground, and if he touches you, yell "rape"

Mr Tsa agent, go ahead and shut down the airport, if you must. You will not put your hands on my daughter.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 01:06:09 PM »
Planes are pretty much bomb proof from anything that could be carried on a person.

Screening of luggage for explosives makes sense.

Uhm... Eh, not really. In theory, no, with expertly crafted bombs and properly placement, you could easily take down an aircraft with explosives handy carried.

In practical terms, pretty much. Suicide bombers are not usually selected for their intelligence, training and expertise. They tend to be useful fools, which limits the complexity of their accomplishments. The most deadly terrorist operation conducted by Islamic militants was 2,996. Any halfway competent person could kill a lot more than that at any sporting event or political rally.

And if you can find a dozen or so people to agree to 1-lb C4 enemas and are all willing to get on the same plane in order to take it out, AND can get detonators through security, then you're also skewing the issue there as well.  And I'd really like to see you defend mandatory cavity searches for everyone getting on a plane, or even random cavity searches - how do you imagine THAT will go over?

Remember, the single "butt-bomber" who managed to get a detonation did not in fact actually kill ANYONE, IIRC - not even his target right in front of him. Could such a person DAMAGE an aircraft? Sure. I imagine his seat would be messed up, and he might apparently cause some injuries, even. Doesn't seem like he'd blow even a small hole in the hull, though.

Internal bombs have several problems. They have to be installed by a skilled doctor, and would be difficult to construct in a lethal manner.  Explosives themselves are mundane unless: specifically shaped or tuned, lots of it is used, or used with shrapnel. 

Shaped charge or "tuned":

Shaped charge inside the body would not be very effective. The human body doesn't have tons of spare room to do nothing.  Fat deposits or gastrointestinal would be my choice of placement, and that's tricky. Excellent placement would also be problematic because you'd be working with very narrow performance limits.

Lots of it being used:
Lots of it being used is unlikely unless the person is morbidly obese. Again, most folks don't have lots of internal volume for this sort of thing.

Shrapnel:
Ouch. Possible, but you'd need a very high order explosive. Because the body would act as tamping and drastically reduce both the acceleration curve as well as the ultimate velocity reached by the projectiles before they reached the necessary parts of the aircraft. 

Short version long, butt bombing is not a really valid terrorist tactic unless you wanted shock value for the cleanup crew.  And that it would justify the TSA using even more sexually invasive procedures.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 01:27:25 PM »
You know if the airline industry was deregulated completely the trend would be to go to smaller planes flying out of more airports as providers tried to make things as convenient and pleasant as possible in order to attract more customers. Smaller planes mean fewer people on board and fewer people means that taking a plane down is not the payoff it used to be.

Imagine if providers could make a profit flying many 10-12 passenger planes instead of one 100-200 passenger plane. To take out the latter a terrorist org uses up one bomber for a terror profit of 99-199 people. but on a plane with only 10 passengers you spend one bomber to get nine victims. That's not an evil enough use of resources. The number of people willing to blow themselves up is finite as is the ability to maintain a terror network. And compromising your entire network for so few victims would be nonsensical. 

Also, a smaller plane will do less damage if used as weapon like on 9/11, even assuming the hijacker can overpower the crew and passengers.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 02:58:22 PM »
You think the airlines want smaller planes to make more money?! Really? What a unique business plan
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2012, 03:14:03 PM »
Wow. Do you enjoy missing points? You must, given your inability to comprehend simple posts.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2012, 04:31:09 PM »
In practical terms, pretty much.

So we pretty much agree ;)

So far, some nuts have managed to sorta melt a shoe and set fire to underwear.

I'm terry-fied, I tell you  :lol:

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2012, 04:41:07 PM »
So we pretty much agree ;)

So far, some nuts have managed to sorta melt a shoe and set fire to underwear.

I'm terry-fied, I tell you  :lol:

Without the TSA, they'd be on to combustible cravats and explosive dickies.

Why do you hate America and love explosive dickies?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2012, 04:45:23 PM »

I thought that one guy already blue up his dickie ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 06:43:48 PM »

Personally, if there is a man in the world so epic and awesome he can carry a weapon up his colon, and then pull this weapon out - by definition nothing more lethal than a small... very small club - and then beat an Air Marshal (who is armed with a pistol), several pilots (with their own guns and armored cockpit door) and then hijack the plane, I say he deserves to be taken to Havana.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2012, 07:58:31 PM »
After eating airport food, I'm carrying a bomb in my colon :(

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2012, 10:49:43 PM »
After eating airport food, I'm carrying a bomb in my colon :(

Did I sit next to you my last flight out of El Paso? 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2012, 11:23:20 PM »
Having flown to Florida and back this last week I have a very fresh perspective on the TSA.

It is embarrassing. I am embarrassed to be an American.

The TSA folks obviously have very detailed instructions. There is obviously very little individual discretion by TSA agents allowed.

The line came to a complete stop for a dog, a wheelchair, the need to pat down a female, a supervisor needed to check the screen and then remove a bag and empty it out. All accompanied by the "you will obey my authority" type attitudes combined with the security theater of radio clicking, coded speech over the radios and more you will obey my authority behavior.

The only thing sadder were those of the public who couldn't even follow simple instructions.

I felt like I was stuck in a dystopian Monty Python skit. Sad, creepy and absurd.      

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2012, 11:31:33 PM »
What's this country coming to, another rightwing extremist kid clinging to her gun and her teddy bear...?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2012, 05:42:28 AM »

As long as the right people are wearing them...

Based on current trends, it's not like they'll hurt anyone else with them anyways.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2012, 07:51:57 AM »
Having flown to Florida and back this last week I have a very fresh perspective on the TSA.

It is embarrassing. ......................
The line came to a complete stop for a dog, a wheelchair, the need to pat down a female, a supervisor needed to check the screen and then remove a bag and empty it out...............................

I felt like I was stuck in a dystopian Monty Python skit. Sad, creepy and absurd.      

How did they search the dog? 
Did they remove the (presumed) collar and leash? 
Run it through the x-ray?
7-11 was a part time job.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2012, 09:54:26 AM »
The dog was walked through the metal detector setting it off due to it's collar and leash.

The line came to a standstill while a supervisor came over to take control. Once he examined the creature and determined it really was a dog, the poor service critter and his owner were allowed to carry on.

The seriousness and officiousness of the actors in the security theater was over the top. More than a few folks in line were mocking them (out of earshot of course).

It was like a bad movie depiction of a WWII wartime checkpoint. Grandma's, children, vacationers and business travelers all being treated like potential jihadi enemies of the state. Of course instead of scary Nazi superhuman soldiers manning the checkpoints you have folks who you would expect to see wearing McDonald's or WalMart uniforms.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:01:36 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2012, 11:01:56 AM »
It was like a bad movie depiction of a WWII wartime checkpoint. Grandma's, children, vacationers and business travelers all being treated like potential jihadi enemies of the state. Of course instead of scary Nazi superhuman soldiers manning the checkpoints you have folks who you would expect to see wearing McDonald's or WalMart uniforms.

I expected them to be pissed.

"Bitte. Meine Papiere, Herr Schutzstaffel-Sturmmann. Tod an die Alliierten!"

They, perhaps unsurprisingly, didn't get it.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2012, 11:10:21 AM »
Acquiescence, powerlessness and acceptance. Nobody will take a stand. When we are at the airport we all have other places to be. It would take mass civil disobedience to get changes made. It isn't going to happen.

They've (we've) ruined commercial air travel in the USA.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2012, 11:19:03 AM »
Prior to January, I hadn't flown since before 9/11.  I found the current security process smoother and less annoying than it was before the TSA was created.  This was for an international flight (dulles to heathrow and back through same) and I was traveling alone.  No nude-o-scope, no pat-down, nothing.  I did remove my belt and shoes, but I didn't have to power up my laptop, nor did anyone take a particularly close look at my stuff.

Chris

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »
Prior to January, I hadn't flown since before 9/11.  I found the current security process smoother and less annoying than it was before the TSA was created.  This was for an international flight (dulles to heathrow and back through same) and I was traveling alone.  No nude-o-scope, no pat-down, nothing.  I did remove my belt and shoes, but I didn't have to power up my laptop, nor did anyone take a particularly close look at my stuff.

Chris

Hmm, I've flown roundtrip flights three, maybe four times since 9/11. Domestic to Florida and Colorado from Chicago ORD.

This last weeks trip was by far the worst and most intrusive.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2012, 11:31:10 AM »

Chris

It varies a bit from place to place, but it is steadily getting worse.

Billings didn't used to have the porn-scopes but they just got one in the past couple months.  Apparently the scanners are not as good at some things as the metal detectors, as they now require removal of my cowboy neck rag before going through the scanner.  So what about a standard neck-tie ???

Also, you are not allowed to take your wallet and ID through the scanner, or else you have to hand it over for them to go through - as if you are hiding a bomb in your cash  ;/

I just refused to go back to CA this week, and I'm not planning to fly anymore at all.  If my company wants me on a customer site, I will just have to drive - even if it takes several days.

As far as resistance - well, we don't discuss those things here, right?  ;)