Author Topic: Off-beat October Surprise?  (Read 2970 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Off-beat October Surprise?
« on: October 18, 2012, 05:46:06 PM »
http://www.infowars.com/one-week-until-u-s-has-3-aircraft-carriers-facing-iran/

Buried in this infowars article is an interesting kernel to consider:

No one in America wants a war with Iran.  It's a loser notion to left and right.  Neither candidate makes hay with the proposition.

However:

Imagine Iran has a "natural disaster" oil spill.  Obama could be such a bridge-builder, such an elegant stateman, such a creature of self-effacement, if he stowed the egos of the "Washington power hungy elite" that want to warmonger against Iran, and put our resources to work alongside Iran's to clean up such a spill in the Gulf that threatens shipping lines to the entire world.  It would show Romney is so heartless and vicious, while Obama is merely doing his duty as Chief Executive of the United States and setting politics aside to build a better tomorrow for all the world's childrenTM.

The oil spill would put all the zOMG talk about Iranian nukes on the backburner for a good year or two.  The 2014 election cycle could focus on the international implications of the oil spill, and the 2016 cycle could get back on the zOMGIranhasnukes!eleventy!1! bandwagon again.

Watch for an October surprise that is something other than yet another war.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Off-beat October Surprise?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 06:19:33 PM »
I wouldn't worry about foreign policy surprises.  No matter what it is, they will screw it up somehow.  Their arrogance is just too big of a character flaw.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 06:26:58 PM »
Watch for an October surprise that is something other than yet another war.

An October surprise is usually something other than yet another war. I believe it is usually something that is (allegedly) embarrassing that is revealed about a particular candidate.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »
An October surprise is usually something other than yet another war. I believe it is usually something that is (allegedly) embarrassing that is revealed about a particular candidate.

That is how I understand, someone's really dirty laundry is aired out just in enough time to get a flurry of press and is fresh in people's minds in the voting booth.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 06:39:09 PM »
That will be hard to do with Romney.  If no one has been able to find any dirt on him (other than Oooooo, scary rich white guy), then it doesn't exist.  And given his past and his religion, I'm going to go with nothing.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 06:58:14 PM »
---delete, until I can say it clearly---
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 07:08:46 PM »
You should probably spend less time reading infowars...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 07:09:56 PM »
That will be hard to do with Romney.  If no one has been able to find any dirt on him (other than Oooooo, scary rich white guy), then it doesn't exist.  And given his past and his religion, I'm going to go with nothing.

*shrug* he might have some skeleton in his closet the media can spin. The trick might be finding the right spin.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 07:33:30 PM »

pfft - they don't need dirt. There's a reason why Rush Limbaugh started calling them the drive-by media. They come up with something they can spin, and they spin it like crazy for a day or two. Once the facts come out, exonerating the target, they drive off and never mention the story again. The spin lives on, the facts languish in obscurity.

See, for example, the story about the homophobic Romney shaving a gay man's head.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 07:41:53 PM »

I googled up "Mormon gay love nest", and came up with basically nothing.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 09:06:30 PM »
You should probably spend less time reading infowars...

yup  though it does get amusing  to get the full effect you need to follow the stories there for a week or so.  watch how the details shift back and forth.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 10:26:55 PM »

yup  though it does get amusing  to get the full effect you need to follow the stories there for a week or so.  watch how the details shift back and forth.

You're talking about Obama's press corp or infowars?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 10:34:41 PM »

Yes
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 03:57:44 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2220241/Barack-Obama-Benghazi-attack-Mother-diplomat-criticises-Presidents-optimal-comment.html

This is why I can't imagine Obama getting away with creating some foreign policy fiasco and coming out looking good.  I don't think he is capable of thinking or sounding like a good leader. 

However, any other October surprise I would expect to come from surrogates in the media. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 04:18:33 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2220241/Barack-Obama-Benghazi-attack-Mother-diplomat-criticises-Presidents-optimal-comment.html

This is why I can't imagine Obama getting away with creating some foreign policy fiasco and coming out looking good.  I don't think he is capable of thinking or sounding like a good leader. 

However, any other October surprise I would expect to come from surrogates in the media. 

"When America elects an empty suit with no experience and a progressive agenda, it's not optimal." ;/ :mad:
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 05:33:17 PM »
Didn't we already have it and wasn't it called "Benghazi?"
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 05:43:13 PM »
Romney's October Suprise: secret photos are leaked that show Ann buying off-the-rack.....

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 05:52:33 PM »

Didn't we already have it and wasn't it called "Benghazi?"

"Now there's a name I've not heard in a long, long time."
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 05:57:03 PM »

both
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
"Now there's a name I've not heard in a long, long time."

You mean crazy old Ben Ghazi?

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 06:44:04 PM »

You are our only hope.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »
Romney's October Suprise: secret photos are leaked that show Ann buying off-the-rack.....

speaking of Ann Romney, there were headlines and sound bites of Whoopi Goldberg trying to corner Ann Romney on Mormon military service.  Whoopi came off as if she had no idea what she was talking about.  

http://michellemalkin.com/2012/10/18/whoopi-goldberg-fails-to-perform-simple-google-search-before-posing-gotcha-question-to-ann-romney/

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 07:43:27 PM »
speaking of Ann Romney, there were headlines and sound bites of Whoopi Goldberg trying to corner Ann Romney on Mormon military service.  Whoopi came off as if she had no idea what she was talking about.  

Because she didn't.  :lol: I doubt anyone is surprised.