Author Topic: Remember what they say about cheerleaders?....  (Read 4659 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Remember what they say about cheerleaders?....
« on: August 06, 2008, 05:33:51 PM »
http://www.startribune.com/nation/26346434.html

26 teen cheerleaders rescued after cramming into an elevator at the University of Texas
Associated Press
Last update: August 6, 2008 - 3:26 PM
AUSTIN, Texas - How many cheerleaders can cram into an elevator? Apparently not 26. A group of teenage girls attending a cheerleading camp on the University of Texas got stuck and had to be rescued after trying to squeeze into an elevator at a residence hall Tuesday night.
One girl fainted and was treated at a hospital and released. Two others were treated at the scene.
The elevator doors refused to open after the pack of 14- to 17-year-olds descended from the fourth to the first floor, police said. Responding to a few panicked cell phone calls from the group, police and firefighters summoned an elevator repairman, who spent about 25 minutes extricating them.
Campus officials weren't amused.
"It's dangerous, actually," said a school police spokeswoman, Rhonda Weldon. "They're lucky that that's all that happened."

I now believe all stereotypes are justified....  laugh laugh laugh
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Bigjake

• friend
Re: Remember what they say about cheerleaders?....
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 06:12:51 PM »
gotta wonder what the blond ration was

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 06:15:57 PM »
my only potential amusement during forced attendance at prep (yeah thats what i call it) rallys and football games (thank god i quit band) was watching and waiting for the cheerleaders to drop somebody.

it never happened.  sad
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 06:18:28 PM »
Oh, the joys of Orthodox Jewish all-girls schooling.  No cheerleaders.  grin

Of course the downside was no athletics.  undecided

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 06:19:50 PM »

one in the same, since cheerleading is now considered a sport.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 06:29:27 PM »
Was this one of those things where they try to see how many people they can cram into something, or where they just dumb and lazy that they couldn't wait for the next elevator?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 06:34:55 PM »
Was this one of those things where they try to see how many people they can cram into something, or where they just dumb and lazy that they couldn't wait for the next elevator?

more like their inability to move somewhere without being in a pack.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 06:44:30 PM »

You act like that's a loss

At your typical publik skool, football is the only thing that matters. What about academics, you say? How DARE you suggest that academics are more important than the all important football and basketball teams...

my only potential amusement during forced attendance at prep (yeah thats what i call it) rallys and football games (thank god i quit band) was watching and waiting for the cheerleaders to drop somebody.

We were forced to attend those damned pep rallys back in middle and high school. I couldn't stand them...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 06:52:22 PM »
We were forced to attend those damned pep rallys back in middle and high school. I couldn't stand them...

Man those where annoying.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 07:18:55 PM »

Man those where annoying.

we would sneak down to the red hall (aka freashman territory) and slip out to the parking lot my junior year. then i found out that the german teacher would give out passes to leave to anyone that asked. thats about the same time i stopped attending those damn things.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 08:32:51 PM »
Oh, come on.  Pep rallies were a great opportunity to feel superior to the all the tools that had "school spirit."   laugh

I don't believe the news story, though.  You know they just reprinted some fake letter from Penthouse magazine.  "I am an elevator repairman, and one night..."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 02:15:19 AM »
Oh, come on.  Pep rallies were a great opportunity to feel superior to the all the tools that had "school spirit."   laugh

Heh.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Wang

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 02:23:16 AM »
Like the man said "You can't fix stupid".

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 04:37:19 AM »
Oh, the joys of Orthodox Jewish all-girls schooling.  No cheerleaders.

Where'd you go?  Cardozo law at Yeshiva University in NYC?

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 07:39:45 AM »
Yeah, they bang like a screen door in a west Texas windstorm.  And, all of them together would not light up a closet.....chris3

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 07:51:48 AM »
Oh, the joys of Orthodox Jewish all-girls schooling.  No cheerleaders.

Where'd you go?  Cardozo law at Yeshiva University in NYC?

I was referring to high school.  Bais Yaakov Detroit.  I went secular for schooling after a year in Israel at Darchai Binah in Ramat Sharet.  Where I come from, YU is unacceptable anyway: not orthodox enough.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 07:53:11 AM »
The funny thing is that at an average weight of 110 pounds, twenty-six cheerleaders wouldn't come even remotely close to the load limit on most elevators. 

Plus, all the air under the blonder probably lowers the total weight significantly.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 02:21:13 PM »
The funny thing is that at an average weight of 110 pounds, twenty-six cheerleaders wouldn't come even remotely close to the load limit on most elevators. 

Plus, all the air under the blonder probably lowers the total weight significantly.

I'm sure they'd appreciate the low average weight you attribute to them, but as someone who still attends a few high school games here in Texas each fall, I would guess that it is significantly higher.  laugh
Either being large has become cheerleaderly acceptable or they are no longer allowed to exclude based on weight.

Even worse are the dance teams that jump around with the band at half time.  Some of the girls out there now are bigger around (well beyond hefty) than any of my classmates were.

As for load limits, I don't recall what it is for the elevators in Jester, but on the ones I ride to my office it's only 2500lb.

At the risk of making myself the outcast of this thread, I did play football in school, and I was friends with most of the cheerleaders.  Honestly, none of them fit the stereotype.
For entertainment purposes only.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 03:40:53 PM »
Hey, the cheerleader from Heros is awesome.....
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 03:47:56 PM »
YU is unacceptable anyway: not orthodox enough.

Whoa.  I assume you came from an ultra-orthodox family?

My family and I are reform.

btw - is it true that most Orthodox Jews hate Reform Jews?  My brother told me that.  Supposedly some girl he liked - liked him too, but she was told that associating with reform Jews was forbidden.  He told me that his understanding was that some ultra-orthodox Jews view reform Jews as being worse than Christians.  Some of them supposedly think that Christians are lost on their path, while Reform Jews know the path, but choose not to take it.

I've never been able to verify if that was utter rubbish or not.  If it is true, it seems to be as equally intolerant as neo-nazi types.

Just curious.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 04:25:46 PM »
Whoa.  I assume you came from an ultra-orthodox family?

Well, they don't think they are ultra- anything, but yeah, I guess you could say that.  My family was fairly liberal for the community though.  We had a tv that we watched once or twice a week, and my brothers were in scouts.

btw - is it true that most Orthodox Jews hate Reform Jews?  My brother told me that.  Supposedly some girl he liked - liked him too, but she was told that associating with reform Jews was forbidden.  He told me that his understanding was that some ultra-orthodox Jews view reform Jews as being worse than Christians.  Some of them supposedly think that Christians are lost on their path, while Reform Jews know the path, but choose not to take it.

Yes and no.  Orthodox Judaism does not, in general, make hate a part of its agenda.  Most hate Hamas with a passion, but that's about it.  However, they do strongly discourage mixing with outsiders at all, particularly the young people and the young women most of all.  Youth groups like NCSY that encourage mixing Jews of varying levels of observance, even when it's for educational reasons, are looked askance at.  Sort of "I'm sure they do a lot of good, but not in MY shul/school/home."

There is a concept in halacha of the "captive infant"--a Jew who has been raised from infancy in ignorance of the right path.  Reform and Conservative Jews usually fit that category and they are granted broad latitude in the law.  It is required to treat them with respect and kindness.  The trouble is that irl this often result in simple condescension and a very patronizing attitude.  There is also the wide and often correct perception that Reform/Conservative Jews are politically liberal and the vast majority of "yeshivish/chassidish" (aka ultra-Orthodox) are politically conservative.  This does not contribute to mutual respect and understanding.

In fact, even I am rarely treated with outright hostility, and I do "know better".  That is the status of one who has "negated the essentials"--that is, has been properly educated in the frum community but openly rejects it and chooses something completely counter to it with a full intellectual understanding of what he or she is doing.  This status is pretty bad in halacha, and so the halachic work-around there is that most people who do such things are crazy and therefore still not responsible for their actions--just like the "captive infants".  So, according to my former community, I am insane.  This is a (rather dubious) kindness, because it allows them to not treat me like a complete pariah, but merely be distant in various ways, and give me no material support of any kind.  The walls are high and thick, but they are allowed to see me from time to time.   

So, no, isn't true that frum Jews hate non-frum Jews.  It is true that they tend to have a very hard time getting along with them socially and in most instances don't want to, and that they regard non-frum Jews as a threat to the integrity of their community.  The old Yiddish word for non-frum Jews was "frei".  Non-frum Jews *are* much freer to do as they wish, and frum Jews don't want themselves or their kids subjected to those temptations.

And now back to your regularly scheduled cheerleaders-in-elevators thread.

I've known three personally.  One is pretty cool; the other two fit every stereotype, plus extra heavy on the bitchiness. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 07:16:49 PM »
He told me that his understanding was that some ultra-orthodox Jews view reform Jews as being worse than Christians.

Trust me.  There is nothing worse than us Christians. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 07:33:22 PM »

In fact, even I am rarely treated with outright hostility, and I do "know better".  That is the status of one who has "negated the essentials"--that is, has been properly educated in the frum community but openly rejects it and chooses something completely counter to it with a full intellectual understanding of what he or she is doing.  This status is pretty bad in halacha, and so the halachic work-around there is that most people who do such things are crazy and therefore still not responsible for their actions--just like the "captive infants".  So, according to my former community, I am insane.  This is a (rather dubious) kindness, because it allows them to not treat me like a complete pariah, but merely be distant in various ways, and give me no material support of any kind.  The walls are high and thick, but they are allowed to see me from time to time.   

That's interesting-it's basically identical to the strict Islamic interpretation of apostates.  This reasoning is exactly the same as that used by the court that declared the Afghan convert to Christianity insane.  It's pretty standard in Islamic history and law-I wonder if there's any actual relationship between the two methods of dealing with conversion away from the religion, or if it's just coincidental.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 01:24:39 AM »
Hey, the cheerleader from Heros is awesome.....

Yeah....but she's smart, likable, and cares about others....clearly a work of fiction....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 01:28:10 AM »
When I went to high school our cheerleaders were of all shapes and sizes.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!