Author Topic: Is this the "Ultimate Ammo"?...  (Read 9344 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Is this the "Ultimate Ammo"?...
« on: August 28, 2008, 01:24:59 AM »
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM463-5.html

DRT is it the Most Accurate Ammo Ever?

This might be it, both in accuracy and terminal ballistics!
This ammo has been hush, hush for over four years. We saw it being tested at the Military Proofing grounds and everyone said, "that is not possible" after they saw the results! The DRT name stands for Dynamic Research Technologies, or as the guys shooting the M24 Sniper Rifles say, "Dead Right There"!

This ammo does the exact opposite of what you would expect. These rounds will shoot through a 2" x 4" but will not shoot through an invader in your home. Here is the best part, these are ideal for crowd control, home defense, or close quarter combat, the bullet will hit the target and dissipate inside the target, killing them instantly without going through and injuring an innocent bystander.

How is that possible?
It is in the core. Totally different then anything on the market, a powder, not a solid lead blob, but a fine powder mixture.
Here is how it works;

If you filled a 55 gallon drum with a zillion number 9 shotgun pellets and then shot it out of some space age rail gun with the round spinning at 160,000 RPM, you would have a very deadly round. That is kind of what is happening but, then enters the dynamics of of the fine powder! When it encounters a solid object such as a 2" x 4" it shoots right through but when it encounters an object denser than itself like a brick wall or concrete or heavy gauge steel, it disintegrates, returning to powder with no ricochet.

The magic occurs on an Organic Target. The fine powder is as fine as talcum powder. When it contacts the organic target, the powder is spinning at such a high rate it instantly disperses, creating a crater in the target resulting in Instant Death. The wounds are typically 5" deep and 5" wide. A full 100% energy dissipation as the bullet totally disappears to invisible dust.

The accuracy comes from two attributes; First is extreme attention to detail in the manufacturing process, much greater than even handloads. Second has to do with the powder core. Solid lead cores are never perfect, they are off center or not symmetrical and when spun at 160,000 rpm, they flight off course and then at 1,000 meters your groups never get much better than 10". With the powder core, the material finds it center when spinning improving the accuracy. Besides, this fine powder is heavier than lead, so a standard weight projectile is smaller offering a lower wind profile and enhanced accuracy.

So guys, this is it.
The most accurate ammo we have ever seen; and the most deadly. We have been asked not to tell stories of this ammo being used in the big sand box, but the stories are getting out and the unheard of results have increased demand for this one of a kind - the only ammo you ever need to own, DRT ammunition.

Listen....can you hear the stampede of mall ninjas....  rolleyes
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Re: Is this the "Ultimate Ammo"?...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 01:39:46 AM »
Ha!  I get my CTD catalog two days earlier than you.  Nanny nanny boo-boo!
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

taurusowner

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 01:42:44 AM »
I like that brief reference to "the big sand box".  It conveys the "real operators use this" message simultaneously with the "this is top secret stuff" message.  Nice ploy.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 01:57:25 AM »
Some guy on THR was claiming he was making a round like this, except for the shotgun.  He claimed it would penetrate bone, but not drywall.

Riiighhhttt...

All of these frangible rounds have the same problem: not enough penetration.  It's because something that won't penetrate structural materials has a really hard time penetrating bone and flesh.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 02:21:17 AM »
You guys still spend money at CTD?

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 02:44:53 AM »
Occasionally.  I always check prices on their site and others when I go to buy pistol mags or something.  Sometimes they have a good price.  They also ship really fast.  I get orders from them in just a few days. 

That write up sounds like the worst TV infomercials.  Does it take scratches out of paint also? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 02:59:43 AM »

Chris
Local to me.  Academy is cheaper on ammo, but CTD is a good gun shop, IMHO.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 03:14:12 AM »

Chris

Only if I'm in Ft. Worth for another reason....no way I'm paying shipping AND sales tax...

They do have good prices on some things....when I'm there, I usually stock up on light sticks and other sundries....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 03:15:27 AM »
I stopped shopping at CTD the 2nd time the didn't ship my order because it was out of stock.  No notice or anything, just nothing for a month.  I had to call in order to find this out. 

We don't have Academy here, but I checked one out when I was down in Mobile.  Ammo wasn't bad, but I'm a hard sell on that since I reload everything I shoot except 22lr.  Factory ammo has either be very cheap (Less than $6/50 for 38special for example) or something special.

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 03:20:35 AM »
http://hunting.net/forum/tm.aspx?m=2528514&mpage=1

Interesting discussion on that forum awhile back with representatives from Bubba Bullets or DRT or whatever they called themselves. The discussion was highly modified by moderators afterward with a lot of posts from regular posters being deleted, and the representatives' posts being modified to remove insults and obscenities(the site gets their funding from hunting industry advertising and sponsorship).   The representatives were real pieces of work- if you doubted or questioned their claims about the DRT bullets it meant that you automatically considered to be a child-diddling, closet-homosexual, son-of-a-whore (and even worse things they described posters as) to them.

DRT doesn't seserve your money IMHO.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 03:47:19 AM »
I love hor the bullet spins at 160,000 rpm.  What kind of rifling does the barrel have to make that happen?  And, I know I'm not a physicist, but could someone explain how spinning makes something find its center?  Wouldn't centrifugal force push the powder core away from the center, especially at 160,000 rpm? laugh laugh laugh

Thanks for the laughs...

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 03:56:33 AM »
Occasionally.  I always check prices on their site and others when I go to buy pistol mags or something.  Sometimes they have a good price.  They also ship really fast.  I get orders from them in just a few days. 

That's because you're paying an arm and a leg for shipping from them.

I threw away their stuff the last time I tried to buy two small items on their website, total weight less than a pound.

Items: $9.95
Shipping, Ground: $19.97

...What?

Besides, they used to have actually cool surplus, now they have pretty much nothing but mallninja crap from China.

And if you want mags, I recommend CDNN. Nice people.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 03:57:09 AM »
DRT ammo sounds like a take-off on Glaser Safety Slugs, except instead of fine lead birdshot, they're using smaller pieces - almost a powder - of tungsten. (What else would be "denser than lead" and still semi-affordable?)

I note that after the original stuff was on the market for a while, Glaser introduced another line of ammo with larger shot sizes to address concerns about penetration.

If DRT ammo's accuracy is "better than handloads" I imagine shooters using their ammo already hold all the benchrest and match rifle records at Camp Perry, Wimbledon, etc., right?  rolleyes

As for Cheaper Than Dirt . . . I ordered from them once, paying both shipping and sales tax. They had a promotion for some "freebies" which weren't included in my order. When I called them and asked where the premiums were, the woman who answered their phone laughed at me and hung up. <obscenity> <obscenity> <profane obscenity>

I love hor the bullet spins at 160,000 rpm.  What kind of rifling does the barrel have to make that happen?
Assume a rifling twist of 1 turn in 12 inches, and MV of 3000 ft/sec. That equates to 3000 revolutions per second. Multiply by 60 seconds per minute, get 180,000 RPM. Fiddle a bit with twist or velocity, and you can easily get 160,000 rpm.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 03:58:22 AM »
I love hor the bullet spins at 160,000 rpm.  What kind of rifling does the barrel have to make that happen?  And, I know I'm not a physicist, but could someone explain how spinning makes something find its center?  Wouldn't centrifugal force push the powder core away from the center, especially at 160,000 rpm? laugh laugh laugh

Thanks for the laughs...

That's not exactly hype.

A typical AR 15 has a 1:9 rifling twist. At 3000 feet/second. that means:

1.25 turns per foot of travel; 3,000 f/s * 60 seconds per minute = 180,000 feet per minute * 1.25 turns per foot = 225,000 rpm (provided my simple arithmetic skills are up to the task).

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 04:09:54 AM »
That's not exactly hype.

1.25 turns per foot of travel; 3,000 f/s * 60 seconds per minute = 180,000 feet per minute * 1.25 turns per foot = 225,000 rpm (provided my simple arithmetic skills are up to the task).

Its in the correct RPM range for rifles, but for a 9mm handgun firing a bullet at 1200fps from a 1:16 twist barrel- not so much. cheesy

Barack Obama

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 04:16:35 AM »
That write up sounds like the worst TV infomercials.

People who can't be troubled to convey their messages in intelligible English don't get my dollars.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 04:30:35 AM »

That's because you're paying an arm and a leg for shipping from them.

I threw away their stuff the last time I tried to buy two small items on their website, total weight less than a pound.

Items: $9.95
Shipping, Ground: $19.97

...What?

Besides, they used to have actually cool surplus, now they have pretty much nothing but mallninja crap from China.

And if you want mags, I recommend CDNN. Nice people.
For me it is normally ~$10 UPS, just like everyone else.  Also, I normally order from CTD online if at all.  The website shows what is in stock and I haven't had an issue with backorders when I pay attention to that.  I am not saying they are a great company or anything, I just have had no problems with them.  I have gotten over the itch to buy useless surplus crap lately so I haven't ordered anything from them in a while.  Smiley

CDNN is normally the one I buy mags from since they are consistently lower than everyone else.  However, if I am buying $150 in mags, I will check around before submitting the order.  They are normally the low price on factory pistol mags.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 04:33:17 AM »
That's not exactly hype.

Its in the correct RPM range for rifles, but for a 9mm handgun firing a bullet at 1200fps from a 1:16 twist barrel- not so much. cheesy

True. They mention, in the same sentence, though, a distance of 1,000 meters; they ain't discussing a 9mm pistol round here.

Your example still yields a result of 54,000 rpm, which ain't 'zackly peanuts. No, it's hardly 160k but it's still spinnin' pretty good.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 05:06:36 AM »
The way the round works it seems to me that defeating it would be as simple as wearing a water filled vest - at least to protect one's torso. Head shots? Different matter entirely.

I think I'll stick with hand loaded Hornady XTP's for now.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 06:37:56 AM »
I want to know who intends to shoot things at 1000 meters to defend their home Huh?  shocked
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 06:56:46 AM »
I want to know who intends to shoot things at 1000 meters to defend their home Huh?  shocked
Zombies man. Zombies. And probably werewolves as well. These bullets are so tacti-cool that they work even better than silver! Vampires fear them too, because of their ultimate coolness. If you were a real operator you'd know this from birth.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 07:07:50 AM »
If its guaranteed to drop werewolves and vampires in there tracks- drt- I might buy some.  laugh

Barack Obama

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 07:58:04 AM »
I only live 10 miles from CTD.  However, the catalog has much more than the store does.  I stop in now and then.  The ultimate ammo I have is the Greek 3006 I got from CMP.  It is more accurate in my M1 than my handloads that I spent a lot of time working up.  Also, the brass cased Albanian 6.62x54r ammo that shoots minute of angle in my Tikka barreled 91/30.  Now, all I need is a new pair of eyeballs that will allow me to shoot that good.  Sadly, those days are gone forever.....chris3

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 07:58:20 AM »
The way the round works it seems to me that defeating it would be as simple as wearing a water filled vest - at least to protect one's torso. Head shots? Different matter entirely.

Wear a goldfish bowl on your head, perhaps?.... Huh?

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 11:17:47 AM »
The magic occurs on an Organic Target. The fine powder is as fine as talcum powder. When it contacts the organic target, the powder is spinning at such a high rate it instantly disperses, creating a crater in the target resulting in Instant Death.

Capitalizing like that is a sign of exaggeration.  A Bad Sign.    angel
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.