Author Topic: HOLY @#$%^$#  (Read 1114 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
HOLY @#$%^$#
« on: September 05, 2008, 12:48:28 PM »
This is my town, and this is about four blocks from my house.

I was IN this bank about 20 minutes prior to this happening.  shocked shocked shocked shocked

Among my errands today was stopping off and depositing the $10 that my son got from Grandma this past weekend. 

http://www.nbc5.com/news/17402968/detail.html?dl=mainclick

Police Storm Wheaton Bank Building In Hostage Situation
Dozens Flee Building Under Police Guard

POSTED: 2:47 pm CDT September 5, 2008
UPDATED: 4:37 pm CDT September 5, 2008

WHEATON, Ill. -- At least one person is being held hostage inside a bank in west suburban Wheaton on Friday afternoon.

Police were called to the four-story building, which houses the Wheaton Bank and Trust Company, at 211 S Wheaton Ave., at about 2 p.m. Friday. The area of Liberty Street and Wheaton Avenue is closed off, and police area asking people to avoid the area. [MAP]

Dozens of people under police guard could be seen running from the building and down an adjacent alley about an hour later. NBC5's Anthony Ponce has an interview with the mother of one of the hostages coming up at 4:30.

A police entry team shattered front windows and went into the building just after 4 p.m., and at least two more hostages ran from the building.

Two people have been transported to hospitals, fire officials said. Fire crews have provided two tower ladders to provide SWAT teams with additional positions.

A police sharpshooter is on the scene, Wheaton police said.

The incident is not a bank robbery or attempted robbery, FBI spokesman Ross Rice said.

According to an Associated Press report, a business owner in the area told CLTV News that police ordered her salon locked down. She said police told her that a gunman was in the bank.

Situation Affects Metra Rail Traffic

The police activity is impacting Metra's Union Pacific West Line train. Trains operating inbound and outbound are stopped in the area.

From Metra's Web site, MetraRail.com:

Union Pacific West Due to police activity in the vicinity of Wheaton inbound Union Pacific West line trains are being stopped west of Wheaton and outbound trains are being stopped east of Wheaton until such time as the local authorities authorize movement through the area.Current delays are of unknown duration.

At the current time Union Pacific west line trains will operate between Chicago and Lombard only. Passengers traveling beyond Lombard may consider traveling on the Milwaukee District West Line operating from Chicago Union Station to to Elgin, the BNSF operating from Chicago to Aurora or seek alternate transportation.

This story will be updated.

G_d takes care of drunks and fools and thus I am dually qualified.   smiley

Apparently it was a traffic stop that went bad.  Perp wrestled gun from cop and ran into this building not knowing it was a bank......Oooopssyyyy, that got the FBI involved.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: HOLY @#$%^$#
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 03:35:41 AM »
The incident is not a bank robbery or attempted robbery, FBI spokesman Ross Rice said.

I heard that this incident was caused by some guy who got upset that a $10 deposit didnt net him a free toaster. shocked  cheesy
I promise not to snitch on you, Scout26&unless theres a reward of cash or peanut M&Ms involved.
But seriously, Im glad you missed all of that drama in the nick of time. smiley
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: HOLY @#$%^$#
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 05:50:25 AM »
Sometimes it's nice to not be Forrest Gump Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin