Author Topic: Coloring book on gun safety spurs parent concern  (Read 1508 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Coloring book on gun safety spurs parent concern
« on: February 27, 2009, 06:43:21 AM »
http://www.wfaa.com/video/index.html?nvid=336501

Coloring book on gun safety spurs parent concern
A kindergartner and a coloring book has led to controversy at one North Texas school. The coloring book, put out by the National Rifle Association, was passed out by a North Texas elementary school.

Some moms just need to shut up.... :mad:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: Coloring book on gun safety spurs parent concern
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 08:07:43 AM »
I like the NRA's response:

"It's the parent's responsibility to teach values and responsibility."
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 09:26:45 AM »
I suppose the mother would rather her kid not know to not touch a gun, think it's like the thing in cartoons, pick it up and cause a tragedy from ignorance?

That is what those materials are designed to prevent.

Parents who think their kids will never run into a situation like that are idiots who celebrate their own stupidity.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 09:27:14 AM »
i was expecting an anti-gun mother whining about the mere mention of guns in schools...

instead, she was a fence-sitter/pro-gunner that thought that the gun safety education in school was not thorough enough! she had an extremely valid point about kids being naturally drawn to things they're not supposed to touch. the only thing i disagree with is when she said parents should sign off on what kids are taught in school regarding firearms and sex... it makes sense in one aspect, if the school is teaching the wrong thing, but i can easily see an idiot parent thinking that ignorance is better than education and refusing education about sex/firearms... which is extremely stupid.

...right?

tmm

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 09:56:04 AM »
instead, she was a fence-sitter/pro-gunner that thought that the gun safety education in school was not thorough enough!
This was being presented to kindergartners. Anything more complex than "stop, don't touch and get an adult" would be a waste of time to the majority of them.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 02:45:55 PM »
This was being presented to kindergartners. Anything more complex than "stop, don't touch and get an adult" would be a waste of time to the majority of them.

precisely. i think the purpose of these matrials is more for the benifit of kids who will NOT receive any training about guns at home.
if you have kids and guns, you teach your kids how to handle the guns safely. the gun saftey stuff they learn in school would be redundant, but, perhaps, reenforce the idea that they need adults around when handling firearms.

if you have kids but no guns and no knowledge of guns, then what they learn in school needs to be basic (because they are only likely to remember the basics) and easy. these kids arn't gonna have constent reminders of gun saftey. they arn't going to the range with mom or dad. they don't sit at the kitchen table and see the guns get broken down/cleaned.
if they decide to learn about guns, later, as adults they can. but if they don't, they will at least know enough not to fool with strange guns laying around.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Lee

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 09:08:52 PM »
Maybe the kids should just color the D.A.R.E. officer's guns when they come in to tell them how to sniff glue and huff paint.
I didn't have any say about that either.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:28:01 PM »
Anything more complex than "stop, don't touch and get an adult" would be a waste of time to the majority of them.
You know, I wonder if that should be the sex education mantra. Would avoid a lot of STDs/VDs.