Author Topic: Another example of man's inhumanity toward man..x2  (Read 2633 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Another example of man's inhumanity toward man..x2
« on: May 25, 2009, 08:56:48 AM »
May 24, 12:11 AM EDT

Passer-by pushes suicide jumper in south China

BEIJING (AP) -- Chen Fuchao, a man heavily in debt, had been contemplating suicide on a bridge in southern China for hours when a passer-by came up, shook his hand - and pushed him off the ledge.

Chen fell 26 feet (8 meters) onto a partially inflated emergency air cushion laid out by authorities and survived, suffering spine and elbow injuries, the official Xinhua News Agency said Saturday.

The passer-by, 66-year-old Lai Jiansheng, had been fed up with what he called Chen's "selfish activity," Xinhua said. Traffic around the Haizhu bridge in the city of Guangzhou had been backed up for five hours and police had cordoned off the area.

"I pushed him off because jumpers like Chen are very selfish. Their action violates a lot of public interest," Lai was quoted as saying by Xinhua. "They do not really dare to kill themselves. Instead, they just want to raise the relevant government authorities' attention to their appeals."

Xinhua said Lai was "taken away by police" but did not elaborate.

A police officer who answered the telephone Saturday at a station close to the bridge confirmed the incident and said it was under investigation. He refused to give any other details and hung up.

According to Xinhua, Chen wanted to kill himself because he had accrued 2 million yuan ($290,000) in debt from a failed construction project.

On Thursday, he made his way to the Haizhu bridge, where 11 other people have tried to take their lives since April.

Lai volunteered to talk Chen down but was turned away by police, Xinhua said. Lai then broke through the cordon, climbed to where Chen sat, greeted him with a handshake, then pushed.

Photos in the Beijing Morning Post showed Lai, shoeless and in a T-shirt, saluting after Chen fell.

The paper said Lai was released on bail Friday but did not give any details. It said he had been on medication for "a mental illness" for decades and had been on his way to a hospital for his pills.

Chen was recovering in the hospital, Xinhua said.

© 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Not really sure how I'm thinking on this one....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Another example of man's inhumanity toward man..x2
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 09:01:25 AM »
I like it.

It's being discussed in this thread: "You must not behave like this in public." 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 10:07:01 PM »
The needs of the many stuck in traffic outweigh the needs of the one.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 10:36:14 PM »
I like it.

It's being discussed in this thread: "You must not behave like this in public." 

Huh? It is?

I just checked that thread (again). It's about a guy in Russia shooting a "hooligan." I saw no mention of a guy in Chine pushing a potential suicide off a bridge.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 11:28:33 PM »
The pusher is probably a hero over there.  Needs of the many and all.

Not quite sure how I feel about it... I get his sentiment, but that's pretty ruthless.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 06:18:24 AM »
Huh? It is?

I just checked that thread (again). It's about a guy in Russia shooting a "hooligan." I saw no mention of a guy in Chine pushing a potential suicide off a bridge.

You're right. Sorry 'bout that, I thought that was tbe thread. Now that I've looked around, I don't see it being discussed anywhere.

Must have been my imagination.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 07:48:11 AM »
You're right. Sorry 'bout that, I thought that was tbe thread. Now that I've looked around, I don't see it being discussed anywhere.

Does someone need a random whiz quiz?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 08:56:34 AM »
The passer-by, 66-year-old Lai Jiansheng, had been fed up with what he called Chen's "selfish activity," Xinhua said. Traffic around the Haizhu bridge in the city of Guangzhou had been backed up for five hours and police had cordoned off the area.

And Lai Jiansheng was EXACTLY right. People who commit suicide are extremely selfish. Especially those who create such a public spectacle.

He STOLE 5 hours of life from everyone sitting in traffic that night. It's Beijing, so let's say there were 100,000 people stuck in traffic.

That's 500,000 hours of life he stole from people for his selfish "suicide attempt." That's 57 YEARS. That's someone's life.

Simply because he stole a little from a lot of people doesn't make it right.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 09:40:56 AM »

When I saw that news article, I immediately thought of the "you must not do this in public" thread, so you're not the only one that is comingling the two sentiments.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 09:48:35 AM »
    A couple of further thoughts on the topic

a) The pusher was on his way to the hospital to pick up psychiatric meds, so maybe he wasn't 100% right anyway.

b) The pushee was only 26 feet off the ground, which suggests to me that there might be some truth to Lai's suggestion that... "They do not really dare to kill themselves. Instead, they just want to raise the relevant government authorities' attention to their appeals."...reminds me of the punchline of an old joke.... "I may be crazy, but I ain't stupid"

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 01:53:19 PM »
Does someone need a random whiz quiz?
No, thanks, I haven't studied.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 05:23:20 PM »
The pusher is probably a hero over there.  Needs of the many and all.

Not quite sure how I feel about it... I get his sentiment, but that's pretty ruthless.

More like...
Pragmatic I'd say.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 05:31:40 PM »
That's 500,000 hours of life he stole from people for his selfish "suicide attempt." That's 57 YEARS. That's someone's life.

Simply because he stole a little from a lot of people doesn't make it right.

I feel the same about lazy road crews.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 05:27:41 AM »
Eh, guys?

This Chen person fell eight and a half meters. He did not die.

It's hardly the most inhuman story in the world, considering the other horrible stuff that we see posted on APS.

Let me demonstrate:

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 10:25:32 AM »
Why isn't there a link to the story?
D:<
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 01:37:30 PM »
Why isn't there a link to the story?
D:<

Because I'm not gonna spoon-feed you everything....get your hands out of the Chee-Tos and Google it yourself.....

...or look it up on Yahoo News, 'cause that's where I found it....I think.....

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.