Author Topic: Improving THR  (Read 8514 times)

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
Improving THR
« on: May 17, 2006, 05:17:28 AM »
THR has four main missions:

1.RKBA evangelism and newbie support
2.Tech discussions and knowledge sharing
3. Emotional support for members
4. Entertainment

The main problem, at this time, is the inability of some people to discuss rathr than argue. We have tested a situation where all the "hot" topics (religion, homosexuality, abortion, Glock vs. 1911) were debated and the conversations proved informative and civil. That outcome apparently depended on the quality of the participants, rather than on any moderating efforts. No moderating effort that I am willing to do -- I am not willing to imitate a drill instructor who breaks down the forum members and rebuilds them in the THR mould -- makes much difference with those who are unwilling or unable to be civil and reasonable.

What options are left to us? Re-focusing THR mission, removing certain members, rearranging deck chairs on the Lusitania...which would you advise? Some folks here have been banned from THR: your input would be helpful in figuring out what to do, as I am not keen on banning more members.

mtnbkr

• friend
Improving THR
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 05:42:57 AM »
Gonna start out by beating a dead horse...

With the demise of the Roundtable, I think we failed on missions 1 and 3.  The Roundtable was bringing people to THR who wouldn't visit a gunboard otherwise.  Some of those folks started participating in the gun/rkba discussions.  IMO, that was the best way to bring non-gun people into the community.  With APS being a separate forum, it doesn't have the same evangelical effect.  I know Roundtable was a moderation nightmare, but I feel it was bringing folks in who might not have been there otherwise.  That's how you spread the message.  You get their attention first, then you share the good news.  

As for the folks who can't discuss rather than argue, well, I don't know what to do.  Some just need banning, others might respond to temporary suspensions of some sort.  Others might benefit from not seeing threads/forums that upset them.  Over at Apug.org, they have a function that lets you hide forums you don't care to read or even see.  Once you "hide" those forums, they don't even appear in search results.  That might be a helpful tool for people who simply don't want to see L&P threads, etc.

Bladeforums.com has at least 1, maybe 2 forums that only "special" members can get to (paid members I think).  Possibly we could establish such controls for the more polarizing forums at THR, but start out with global access and then limit access by users who can't handle the responsibility.

Chris

Stickjockey

• friend
Improving THR
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 05:47:14 AM »
For myself, I'll be taking a page from Antibubba's book:

I don't think about it much, but all of us are Moderators at THR. ...THR is like my yard, and I need to make more of an effort to keep it clean.  So. I resolve to be more vigilant about Low-Roaders when I'm there.  If I can advise, I will.  But if they don't get the idea, I'll let a Mod know.
As for the rest, the only thing I can think of is maybe a "probationary member" designation, where after six months/100 posts or some such one's post history is reviewed and appropriate action taken? I suppose it's an idea, half-baked as it is.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Improving THR
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 05:50:32 AM »
"The Roundtable was bringing people to THR who wouldn't visit a gunboard otherwise."

My former coworker Josh, for example. I turned him on to THR when I was still there. He lurked for awhile, and then finally started posting when an off-topic section was opened.

When it was closed, he quit visiting/posting to THR, and said to hell with it when I told him about this place. He was happy with some of the advice he got on the off-topic board at THR, and was actually learning something about guns. I was hoping to use that leverage to make him a regular part of our reigndeer games, but whatever interest he had in it apparently went away when he couldn't participate in non-gun-topic discussions on the board, as well.

Overall, a multifaceted failure.

Other than that, I don't have a dog in this fight.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Improving THR
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 06:20:48 AM »
Since I made a smartass reply in the other thread, I owe a thoughtful one here.

Stickjockey's idea of probation (e.g. no posting in L&P until >100 posts)  is a favorite that I've mentioned before, but Oleg said it's not possible in this software. Trying to do that manually would require half as many Moderators as members.

I don't really have a solution, just an observation: THR is a great forum, thus word of it spread, thus the population increased, thus statistically we have increased the raw numbers of jackasses and trolls.

This is a common theme in lots of areas. Anybody remember back when AOL first "merged" with the Internet? Usenet was absolutely flooded with imbeciles who didn't know they weren't on AOL anymore, and the signal to noise ratio became nearly 1:1 for a while.

Why do so many people like small towns versus big cities? In small towns, everybody knows everybody, which creates "self-moderation" on behaviors. If you know you're gonna run into people on a daily basis, you're better behaved.

I like to SCUBA dive, and in my favorite destination, where I've been going every year for the past 12 years, there is this great dive shop. When I first started going there, the town was sleepy, and the dive shop was small, but known by some through word of mouth only. It was a friendly, laid back operation where it was not uncommon to run into celebrities on your dive boat because of how low key both the dive shop and it's customers were. We were all there to dive, we all wanted a friendly, low key experience, and we all happily had one. Over the years, this dive shop has become well known throughout the world. If you go to this dive destination, it's this or one other of the many operations there now that is ranked as "#1" in dive magazines and on the net. The operation has tried its best to keep its "small, laid back" atmosphere, but again, with increased numbers come increased jackasses to be dealt with. The shop tries to deal with this by creating "special" dive trips, putting it's long time customers on boats with each other, much like Oleg has created APS for those of us THR "oldtimers" that want to keep a friendly place to hang out and talk about "just stuff".

The analogy is that both the dive shop and THR grew, but both want to keep the "laid back" atmosphere. They both try their best, but without, as Oleg said "becoming Drill Instructors" it's nearly impossible to control the rabble without killing the experience for the rest. Maybe a lot of this is up to us. I haven't posted much on THR myself in the last half year or so, but maybe that's part of the problem. Maybe those of us who don't like some of what growth is doing to THR need to post MORE there rather than staying away -- to "set an example of behavior" as it were. Also, and I know I have been guilty of this myself -- instead of retorting posts by jerks, there needs to be more just plain ignoring the posts. Most of the threads that degrade into the noise that bothers me are almost always either started by, or invaded by, someone looking to get a rise out of others. Simply ignoring the jackass posts (and I KNOW it's hard to do) will eventually cause many of the troublemakers to look for new ground, and could go a long way into making things better.

So as a conclusion to my ramble, if we don't want THR to turn into an overly moderated, lords of discipline kind of place, much of the onus seems to be on us as the users to set examples of behavior and do better at simply ignoring the gadflys that have been drawn to it via its growth and popularity.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Improving THR
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 06:32:29 AM »
Would making L&P invisible to non-members be possible? Seems like Roundtable was like that when I joined up.
But then again, I'm old and have a tendency to mis-remember stuff.

cordex

• Administrator
Improving THR
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 06:38:33 AM »
I really like the idea of banning people from certain subforums rather than completely from the site.  If you don't like the way someone plays in Legal and Political, ban them from that forum.  I know there is a way to do this using usergroups in Vbulletin, but it might be too much of a hassle for the moderators depending on what kind of ban rate you guys have.  The universal punishment of banning is a nice big stick and saves some time, but it is kind of like a cop carrying only a handgun and not a baton, pepper spray or cuffs.

Mtnbkr has some good points on the adverse effects of closing the Roundtable.

In short, I would suggest that THR add a greater variety of punishments with clear guidelines as to their application, preserve the ban for the worst offenders, look into subforum-specific bans, bring back the Roundtable, and finally bring in a few more moderators to help with the increased workload.

Edit:
Stickjockey's idea of probation (e.g. no posting in L&P until >100 posts)  is a favorite that I've mentioned before, but Oleg said it's not possible in this software. Trying to do that manually would require half as many Moderators as members.
That's not entirely true.  I don't know if it is possible on PunBB, but on vBulletin, the software THR uses, it should be relatively simple to automate.

Using a combination of vBulletin's Usergroups (a special group who has the required permissions to see L&P, for instance) and Promotions (when a user's post count reaches x, do this) this can be done.  

Oleg, if you'd like help configuring this, let me know.

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
Improving THR
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 06:45:17 AM »
I just got access masks to work. Woohoo!

mtnbkr

• friend
Improving THR
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 06:56:23 AM »
Quote from: Oleg Volk
I just got access masks to work. Woohoo!
What's that?

I'm totally ignorant of the inner workings of the various flavors of forum software other than what I see as a
[L]user...

Chris

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Improving THR
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 07:10:43 AM »
I really think that a lot of keeping THR clean is going to revolve around the central core of High Roaders themselves. It's like just expecting the cops to clean up a bad neighborhood. At some point, the citizenry is going to have to decide if it wants to be a part of the solution. Ignoring those who are obviously trolling, not responding to preposterous threads, keeping our own behavior beyond reproach, etc. are really the most necessary things, since the mods can only do so much.

I think this kind of self-policing (including reporting users who are incorrigible) and some kind of two or three strike type program before being banned, will help keep things a little cleaner in general.

Even if the manpower existed to make 'our backyard' into a police state, I don't know if I'd still want to spend as much time there that way.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
Improving THR
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 07:18:33 AM »
I have set up a small forum elsewhere which is by invitation only. It has worked very well. The key is self-moderation and mutual respect and/or tolerance. I did have to remove one member who went outright psycho, but about 120 members are doing very well. I really do not like prior restraints...hope to avoid them on THR.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Improving THR
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 07:42:37 AM »
It seems to me like a lot of the problems are caused by a couple people (not the same ones all the time) who get into a personal argument on what would be an otherwise reasonably civil discussion of some hot topic.

Somehow we need to encourage them to either "calm down" or "take it outside" - just like you would at any other gathering.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Stickjockey

• friend
Improving THR
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 08:04:57 AM »
Tallpine's got a really good point.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Improving THR
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 08:41:33 AM »
I really like the idea of banning people from certain subforums rather than completely from the site.  If you don't like the way someone plays in Legal and Political, ban them from that forum.
The problem with that is that if you have someone who is dedicated to being an idiot they will just post in a forum they have access to, creating more work for the mods.

Self moderation is part of the solution, but not the entire solution. Look at what happened at TFL when Rich tried to clean things up. The thread went something like 20+ pages of people alternating between attaboys, calling Rich names, and posting outrageous comments to see if they could violate the policy.

The problem may just be unsolvable due to human nature and the tendency to become cliquish. There are folks that have been members at TFL and THR, that just rubbed people the wrong way and ultimately left or got banned. On other forums those same people are highly respected members and/or moderators.

USP45usp

• friend
Improving THR
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 09:38:02 AM »
I don't have a dog in the fight either, like Mike.

Since the last time that I was there, around December, the mods were really going overboard on banning/closing threads, some needed it, some felt as if it was done out of spite.  

I don't know how it is now but I did notice back then that only a small click of "old timers" stayed around and most of the others had left.

Wayne

Polishrifleman

• friend
Improving THR
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 10:13:18 AM »
I think a lot of individuals just get excited to type and put in their $.02 or +1.  I have caught myself hitting reply to a thread, starting to type (never a +1) and then having an internal debate as to the purpose of my post, when I do that I hit back and choose not to post because the purpose was wrong or had nothing to add to previous posts.

My suggestion would be to do something with the SEARCH.  Make it mandatory prior to starting a thread or have the topic key words tied to the library.  I don't know if the software can do this but repetition leads to borish attitudes and behaviors.We collectively have covered a lot of ground in a myriad of topics.  Having to rehash and discuss the same topic over and over again tends to make one lean toward cynicism if you choose to reply on a whim.

Good luck, and I will keep coming back!!!

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Improving THR
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 11:52:03 AM »
I guess banishing the Roundtable to APS has served to make this my new home.  I've maybe been to THR 2-3 times in the last 6 months.  No sour grapes, but the interpersonal relationships began to take on deeper meaning once you understood that NOT ONLY did X-Y guy (fill in the screen name) like the same guns you do, but ALSO knows cigars and single-malt whiskey and grilling elk and 20-blue OTHER things you're interested in.  That made it much more a family and less a ticket-line at a gun show.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Improving THR
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 12:10:20 PM »
It's a tough call, Oleg. I've seen many long-time members, myself included, post something they later regret.

The idea of members policing themselves seems the most workable. Nobody likes to be a snitch but, on the other hand, the moderators can't be everywhere at once.

Perhaps a warning prior to banishing the member forever would then be taken seriously.

cosine

• Administrator
Improving THR
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 04:36:53 PM »
I think THR is pretty nice the way it is. L&P gets a bit heated sometimes, but the actual firearms forums are quite nice.

I just want to thank you for what you provide for us in THR and APS.
Andy

Improving THR
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 04:47:55 PM »
I try not to post there too often because invariably some jerk makes me want to swear. I'm kind of a hothead and my values aren't necessarily the same as the average THR poster, which is a bad combination.

Improving THR
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2006, 04:53:53 PM »
If I had to make a suggestion, it would be to keep everything gun related and not get into conversations about political parties, immigrants, religous beliefs, etc. The forum is plenty big enough to keep busy strictly with gun news and discussion..the other stuff is what causes the problems.

And no more threads bitching about anti-gun girlfriends. Arggh.

grampster

• friend
Improving THR
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2006, 05:00:56 PM »
What Barbara said.  But don't invite any of the bloviaters to come over to APS with their BS or we'll start having the same problems here at APS.  We've got what, 900 members?   Those of us here and whoever we invite ought to keep things interesting enough.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
Improving THR
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2006, 05:03:06 PM »
We do use warnings with valued members. Those serve to help steer folks back to civility, if those folks are willing to play along.

cosine

• Administrator
Improving THR
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2006, 05:05:45 PM »
Quote from: grampster
But don't invite any of the bloviaters to come over to APS with their BS or we'll start having the same problems here at APS.
Exactly. I hang out here at APS more than I do at THR, probably because of the calm, laid-back, problem-free atmosphere.
Andy

grampster

• friend
Improving THR
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2006, 05:23:49 PM »
Actually I expressed myself on the other THR thread, but I've always been pretty happy with the way things went at THR.  Heh, the only problem I ever had was reading a thread that I had some stupendously enlightened comment to offer and I had not noticed that it was locked. heh heh.

PS:  Oleg, I really appreciate what you have done with THT and APS.  I spend some good quality time here and there.  Much more lively and better than the wasteland of TV.  Have your dad and mom ever wanted to go back to Key West again? Just curious as I owe them a bottle of wine if they go to Cafe Sole' for some great seafood provender.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw