Author Topic: Why is it ok to euthinize animals but not humans?  (Read 2150 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Why is it ok to euthinize animals but not humans?
« on: May 22, 2006, 09:20:54 AM »
I am thinking about this today since my wife had the unpleasant task of putting our daughters 11 year old cat to sleep today.  Now while I am not a big fan of cats, I still don't like see them or any other animal suffer and I hate how my daughter feels right now.  
But it does bring up the question as to why is it inhumane to let an animal suffer but it is also inhumane to end the suffering of a human being?  Just doesn't seem right.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 09:48:54 AM »
Because we have (rightly so) more respect for animals than we do people?

Why else?

And yes, putting any animal down sucks.  Been there, done that, didn't like it.  At all.

You, and more importantly (sorry), your Daughter has my sympathies.
One day at a time.

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 12:17:03 PM »
So, if a human asks to be killed painlessly, we "respect" that human by ignoring his wishes?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 01:17:31 PM »
Actually, Oleg, I think we respect that human by refusing to give up on them.  

I wonder, though, how many people there are who are actually asking to die but are successfully prevented from dying.

Unlike animals, which are more or less intelligent machines under our stewardship, human beings are creatures accountable to God, whose lives are owed to Him, rather than to men.  The short version is that we can and sometimes should kill animals because they are our property, while human beings are ulitimately the property of God.  He allows killing in self-defense or in justice, but has given us the prerogative to kill in no other circumstance.  Hence, suicide is regarded as self-murder.

Our laws on this topic have tended to reflect this Christian point of view, but have changed in some cases to reflect a different, usually secular, point of view.  This is unfortunate.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 01:53:54 PM »
I still don't like see them or any other animal suffer and I hate how my daughter feels right now.
As bad as she might feel, i doubt euthanizing her is the thing to do...

Telperion

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 02:13:53 PM »
Treatment often requires behavior modification.  A doctor can give a human directions on post-op recovery: you need bed rest, don't exert yourself for a month, etc.  This doesn't work for animals.  They can reinjure themselves, and if you try to restrain them for recovery they may violently flip out and again reinjure themselves or suffer a nervous breakdown.

I've heard that the horse that went down in the Preakness would have been put down immediately if not for the fact he is worth millions as a stallion.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 03:55:52 PM »
Quote from: Telperion
Treatment often requires behavior modification.  A doctor can give a human directions on post-op recovery: you need bed rest, don't exert yourself for a month, etc.  This doesn't work for animals.
Hmmmm....funny, I had zero problem keeping two cats quiet and calm after a "He" became a "She", and later when the other cat had a drain on his flank from an abscess, this while my home was invaded by four relations for a week.
Quote from: fistful
Unlike animals, which are more or less intelligent machines,...
I've meet insects that are more aware than some people I deal with on a day to day basis.
Quote from: fistful
...human beings are creatures accountable to God, whose lives are owed to Him, rather than to men.  The short version is that we can and sometimes should kill animals because they are our property, while human beings are ulitimately the property of God.
Sorry fistful, *I* am the sole owner of my life and its is NOT owed to any invisible friend in the sky, your's or mine.

Fistful IS correct in that the worldview he stated above is the root of why humans are allowed/forced to suffer a lingering death when they themselves are ready to check-out.

My sympathies for your daughter wmenorr67.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Ron

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 04:17:08 PM »
Docter to terminal patient in pain: Here is something for your pain. Be careful, if you take too many you will fall asleep and never wake up.

No reason to involve doctors in the taking of a human life any more than that.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 05:12:03 PM »
Dogs and cats, as predators, are both brighter and, at least in my mind, more adjusted to dealing with injury.  A horse(and other similar herbivores) with a broken leg was predator food pretty much no matter what.  Meanwhile a wolf at least has a chance, the rest of the pack can support it, at least for a time.  As long as they have food, water, and a place to go to the bathroom, they're fairly willing to rest and let wounds heal.  They've also been domesticated to the point of trusting humans more.

As for humans, I think that it's a combination of factors.  We're the guardians, caretakers of animals, who can't make the decision themselves.  Since our medical technology is still limited, we must make a decision that includes possible suffering.  Because everything eventually ends up being economics as well, we must acknowledge that we can't afford heroic life saving efforts for every animal, especially when you realize that you're only extending the inevitable, and in consequence, their pain.

Humans are different.  At least in theory we're all our own master.  We can make our own decisions.  Children are precious to us, and will eventually be able to make their own decisions, so we attempt to save them as much as possible, including heroic efforts.  Even for adults, there's always the hope that we'll recover.  Euthanasia does happen however, under the cover, in secret.  High doses of opiates dull all pain, but also shorten lifespan.  As GoRon says, this is fairly common, but untalked about, much like fatal 'gun cleaning accidents'.  There have been some issues brought up, mostly in the EU, about this being done by the doctors themselves, however.

I believe that the second facet is our religious heritage that prohibits and demonizes suicide.  Thus, we have humans, able to make their own decisions, and a general cultural policy that prohibits the taking of one's own life.  Because of this heritage, a doctor makes the assumption that anybody would choose 'all life-saving measures' unless there is ample evidence otherwise, as the doctor is acting in the 'patients best interest' if he or she is unable to make the decisions themselves.  That and the ancient oath 'commit no harm'.  However, our technology has reached the point that there are relativly few people whose usefull life can't be extended through injury or illness.  Even those completely invalid.  Even those who have lost their mental facilities.  Thus the importance of 'living wills' and medical powers of attorney.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 05:35:58 PM »
I've been Youthanized.  Anybody wanna play some tackle football, no equipment?  Then well have beers and smokes.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 07:47:55 PM »
I guess I don't believe in "owning" another living being... but using the resources it has collected in it's body to sustain my own, in addition to tasty green things, because that's the way my body works.

As far as fellow humans I don't eat them because they're generally much more interesting to talk to, and people don't look to kindly on cannibalism hereabouts, although if the eaten was willing, I guess it's none of my buisness.

As far as euthanasia, what kind of loving friend or family member would I be if when I was certain that THEY were certain that they wanted to die, I wouldn't at least "let" them, if not actively help. Love is not about what you want, at least not completely.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 08:19:44 PM »
There comes a time when your beloved pet will look you in the eyes and tell you the time has come.  They know it much better than we do.  Our obligation to them includes not letting them suffer.  

I'm typing this through tears.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 12:27:41 AM »
Docter to terminal patient in pain: Here is something for your pain. Be careful, if you take too many you will fall asleep and never wake up.
This goes on more than most think.

Usually it's a nurse though and the "pills" are morphine. They just keep giving it to you until your pain goes away, one way or another.

Sorry about your loss. I had to put down my favorite dog a few years back. One of the most painful experiences of my life. Sad
Avoid cliches like the plague!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 02:09:26 AM »
Thank all of you for your kind words.  Yesterday was a little rough on the wife and kids but they seem to be taking it better than I thought.  The one that seems to be taking it the hardest is our pet poodle, who is missing his buddy.  Guess I will need to rough him up a bit so he isn't so down.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 04:02:37 AM »
Another thing to remember about euthanizing animals... it's not always (or even mostly) done to end pain and suffering. A very large number of animals are put to death each year simply because no one wants them or no one is willing to foot their medical bills. As supporters of the 2nd Amendment, everyone around here is well aware of "mission creep" and incrementalism. If you open the door to physician-assisted suicide, what else might come in with it?