Author Topic: Big Chill Hits Gore Global Warming Movie  (Read 2015 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Big Chill Hits Gore Global Warming Movie
« on: May 22, 2006, 12:10:44 PM »
I love it when an elite makes a gaff like this.   Now they have 10 years to avert a "major catastrophe" from Gloal Warming.  Less than 30 years ago they said we were going to be in an all out Ice Age.  For some reason, I don't know why, I have trouble paying any attention to them, except to shake my head and wonder where their brains are.

http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/5/22/113847.shtml?s=ic

In just two days, former Vice President Al Gore's blockbuster global warming movie, "An Inconvenient Truth," hits theaters nationwide. But the weather doesn't seem to be cooperating.

Instead of the sweltering late-May temperatures that might give the impression there was something to Gore's claims that the planet is melting, New Yorkers turned up their thermostats Sunday night to fend off an unusual pre-Memorial Day chill.

In the lower Hudson Valley, frost warnings were issued, as the overnight temperature dipped to a chilly 38 degrees Fahrenheit.

The rest of the country was enjoying unseasonably cool weather as well, with Dallas and Atlanta - where the temperature often tops 90 degrees by late-May - coming in 10 degrees below seasonal norms.

Chicago's temperature had climbed to just 55 degrees by mid-morning.

Still, the late-spring cold snap has done nothing to chill Mr. Gore's overheated rhetoric.

"We face a planetary emergency," he claimed over the weekend. His film's promotional Web site declares:

"Humanity is sitting on a time bomb. If the vast majority of the world's scientists are right, we have just 10 years to avert a major catastrophe that could send our entire planet's climate system into a tail-spin of epic destruction involving extreme weather, floods, droughts, epidemics and killer heat waves beyond anything we have ever experienced - a catastrophe of our own making."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 02:35:44 PM »
I think AlGore may be confused.  He is actually talking about when the Lefties get back in charge of the gubmint again.  (as if they ever weren't)
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 01:33:58 AM »
former Vice President Al Gore's blockbuster global warming movie, "An Inconvenient Truth,"
Wow, didn't know that the word 'blockbuster' has become so pedestrian. If a movie attracts 30 people nationwide is it still a blockbuster?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 02:09:34 AM »
Where's that damn head banging smilie? To think I voted for that dumbass.

I apologize. Sad
Avoid cliches like the plague!

client32

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 02:49:01 AM »
Instead of the sweltering late-May temperatures that might give the impression there was something to Gore's claims that the planet is melting, New Yorkers turned up their thermostats Sunday night to fend off an unusual pre-Memorial Day chill.

In the lower Hudson Valley, frost warnings were issued, as the overnight temperature dipped to a chilly 38 degrees Fahrenheit.

The rest of the country was enjoying unseasonably cool weather as well, with Dallas and Atlanta - where the temperature often tops 90 degrees by late-May - coming in 10 degrees below seasonal norms.

Chicago's temperature had climbed to just 55 degrees by mid-morning.
I know where all that extra heat went.  Right here.  We had a couple of 100 degree days this past weekend.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 02:56:56 AM »
Oh OH! Could you send some of that my way. It's friggin 40 and windy here. shocked

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 03:07:44 AM »
Sunny and 72 here, but cool at night.  SWMBO insists on an open window to "allow the house to breath".  Good to have a snugglebunny close.Cheesy

Silly watermelons.  Don't they understand that Haliburton and George Bush control the weather.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 03:28:38 AM »
You can't argue against the "entire scientific community" I guess:

"The entire global scientific community has a consensus on the question that human beings are responsible for global warming and he has today again expressed personal doubt that that is true," Gore said in an Associated Press interview from France where he attended the
Cannes Film Festival.
I think this should go along with his "I invented the Internet" statement.  Are Dems really going to nominate such an obvious loony?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

client32

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 04:09:44 AM »
Oh OH! Could you send some of that my way. It's friggin 40 and windy here.
I would gladly send you 2- 30 degrees if I could.  However, I don't know how.  The worst part is that I am having to dodget the extreme hot to work on my roof.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 04:50:37 AM »
I would gladly send you 2- 30 degrees if I could.  However, I don't know how.
For a How-To video*, send $19.95 to:

George Bush
Oval Office
WhiteHouse, USA

*Video production by Halliburton Weather Modifications, LLC (a wholly owned subsidiary of the Cheney Group)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 05:01:13 AM »
I froze my ass off this morning walking my dogs.

Sunny, but a stiff breeze moving, no humidity, and about 58 deg. F.

VERY unusual for this time of year.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 05:36:07 AM »
"The worst part is that I am having to dodget the extreme hot to work on my roof."

That sux. I hate roofing in the hot sun as much as I do repairing dirty plumbing.

Cool here before dawn, but the weather doesn't stop the damned pollen!

TC
TC
RT Refugee

crt360

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 07:12:53 AM »
No big chill down here.  I played golf all weekend and the temperature was easily pushing 100 (as was my game).  Overnight lows were in the mid-70s.  Come to think of it, I never even turned a heater on this past winter.  I'd be more than happy to trade some of our heat for cold.  Did I mention that my car's A/C doesn't work. Sad
For entertainment purposes only.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 07:18:29 AM »
"I played golf all weekend and the temperature was easily pushing 100 (as was my game). "

I still remember the first time I broke 100 playing golf.

God, I was on top of the world.

Then we moved on to the second hole and things went to hell...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 08:11:54 AM »
But Texas will cool down when I go there in July, right, guys?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 11:10:13 AM »
Why anyone from the moderate climate of Indiana would want to visit Texas in July I can't imagine.  It will cool down . . . to about 90 . . . at 5:00 am, . . for about 10 minutes.  The rest of the time it will be somewhere between 100-115, unless it's raining of course, which will cool it down a few degrees, but when the sun comes blasting back through the 120% humidity, it will feel like a swampy hell.  Sometimes we'll get a few days of dry heat (like the Arizona people talk about) and it's a pleasant change (your sweat will actually evaporate).  Pack your cheap suits, shorts, and your favorite guayaberas.

It's not that bad.  There are some benefits.  Hot chicks wear less clothes (unfortunely, so do not-so-hot chicks).  You have an excuse to drink a few extra cold beers.  Aside from business and formal events, you won't find yourself needing to wear more than short sleeves, shorts, and sandals.

The months of July and August are actually when most Texans leave for cooler places.
For entertainment purposes only.

client32

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 12:03:06 PM »
But Texas will cool down when I go there in July, right, guys?
Where in the great state of Texas will you be visiting?  If it is this area, it is just hot (will be around 100, give or take 5 degrees) and dry with wind.  We make the distiction between breeze and wind when the sustained speed is at least 30 mph.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 04:22:02 PM »
I went to San Antonio once. I could see where an old air conditioning guy could make a buck or two down there. shocked

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »
Ahh, thread drift!

It's a simple explanation.  Any Gore annnouncement or speech works as a giant heat sink.  Molecules move slower and slower as His Blanditude goes on, which serves to draw heat-excited atoms.  Since it is nearly impossible to be excited anywhere near the ex-Veep, a cooling effect is created.

Some theorists even believe he may have been indirectly responsible for the devastation in New Orleans.  As the 2005 hurricane season got underway, Al gave increasingly complicated and convoluted diatribes about elavated carbon dioxide levels caused by greedy Western countries consuming too much oil.   The cooling effect, which previously had simply absorbed Earth's excess heat, now left an area of lowered pressure which induced hot air to be rapidly drawn down to the surface, mixing and swirling with the ex-Veep's cooled winds.  

These storms are known of course as Goretexes.

Wink
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2006, 04:03:08 AM »
I just ran across this site. It's pretty comical, as it runs a short video re: Al's movie, with a "CO2 Meter" running at the bottom, comparing Gore's CO2 contribution to that of the average person.

http://streams.cei.org/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2006, 04:47:52 AM »
Quote from: BenW
I just ran across this site. It's pretty comical, as it runs a short video re: Al's movie, with a "CO2 Meter" running at the bottom, comparing Gore's CO2 contribution to that of the average person.

http://streams.cei.org/
This is in todys's Drudge report.
http://drudgereport.com/flash3.htm

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2006, 06:34:39 AM »
Quote from: Antibubba
Ahh, thread drift!

It's a simple explanation.  Any Gore annnouncement or speech works as a giant heat sink.  Molecules move slower and slower as His Blanditude goes on, which serves to draw heat-excited atoms.  Since it is nearly impossible to be excited anywhere near the ex-Veep, a cooling effect is created.

Wink
This one really killed me Antibubba.  Excellent application of the kinetic theory of gases.  A+ from the professor!
Experiment with a chemist!

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006, 11:34:33 AM »
Some more FACTS for gore to grit his teeth about.

Grape Damage From Frost Widespread in U.S.

By CAROLYN THOMPSON
Associated Press Writer
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FARM_SCENE?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-05-25-03-37-42

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -- A late-April frost devastated young buds on grape vines in several western New York counties and beyond, challenging growers who had been hoping to rebound from a small crop last year.

"It was 24 degrees. That's just too cold," said grower Dennis Rak.

The National Grape Cooperative, which owns Welch's, estimated its New York state growers lost 30-33 percent of their grapes.

Rak suffered severe losses on about 75 acres of the 250 acres he grows in hard hit Chautauqua County in southwestern New York. On those vines, half to three-quarters of primary buds were lost, he said.

He said the frost came after growers had already incurred the expense of pruning row upon row of vines.

"At the point they were damaged they were just starting to swell and be open," said Rak.

The same frost painted an even bleaker picture for cooperative members in other states: Losses were estimated at 90 percent in Michigan and 75 percent in Ohio, said Jay Hardenburg, the cooperative's Eastern Region manager of member relations.

The cooperative is comprised of about 1,350 growers in New York, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Washington and Ontario. They supply all of the grapes Welch's uses for its juice, jams and jellies.

"The consumers are not likely to see any effect as far as the finished product," Hardenburg said. "Unfortunately, the farmers will bear the vast majority of the economic loss."

In Michigan, for example, Gov. Jennifer M. Granholm on Wednesday requested federal disaster assistance for the state's fruit and vegetable farmers hit by recent frost and freezing temperatures in 28 counties.

In New York, Gov. George Pataki and members of New York's congressional delegation are pursuing federal disaster assistance to keep growers on their feet, some of whom will have little to harvest in the fall.

New York, with 31,000 acres of vineyards and 1,384 grape farms, is the nation's third largest grape grower behind California and Washington.

Coming after an unusually small grape harvest last year, the frost was particularly devastating.

"This spring's freeze damage is likely to force some affected vineyard operations out of business, while others will increase borrowed capital, which is already limited," said a May 19 letter from 29 members of New York's congressional delegation to U.S. Department of Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns.

The letter, which asked for USDA disaster assistance, estimated losses of more than $9.1 million for 200 grape producers on 6,400 acres in four New York counties.

Pataki on May 13 asked Johanns to designate three of those counties as agricultural disaster areas to make low-interest emergency loans available to farmers. Combined, the counties produce more than half of the state's grape crop.

A spokeswoman for the state Department of Agriculture & Markets said growers elsewhere in the state, including the Finger Lakes and Long Island, escaped severe frost damage but an abundance of wet and cool weather could increase the likelihood of disease and fungus.

"It's not necessarily going to impact production, but they could require farmers to spend a little more time or resources in the vineyard trying to treat these things," Jessica Chittenden said.